Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Two reasons.... I'd prefer a Scottish manager, also I don't like Martin o Neil's style of football.

No one has seriously suggested Martin O'Neil for Scotland anyway.

Michael O'Neil on the other hand is well worth considering for the Scotland job.

It of course would have nothing whatsoever to do with them being Irish or Catholic I trust ......

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

No one has seriously suggested Martin O'Neil for Scotland anyway.

Michael O'Neil on the other hand is well worth considering for the Scotland job.

It of course would have nothing whatsoever to do with them being Irish or Catholic I trust ......

Absolutely not... was unaware of Michaels religion.  

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

How about managing at International level is completely different from club level

No coaching

No player development

No money to buy players

How long did it take Vogts whom some seem to be having brigadoon type memories ?

Again - i refer you to Vogts

You think we are at the stage where we need 40 player debuts ?

2-2 in the Faroes and the players taking over at half time ?

Well I'm not it suggesting we give Berti a call any time over the next few weeks.

I'm also not suggesting we start giving out caps like confetti again, although our circumstances were such that I can understand Berti doing what he did.

I think it is very possible for a foreign manager to come in, get to know and understand our game and get to know the players available to him without dishing out cap after cap after cap to anyone with a pair of boots and a liking for haggis.

Like it or not, we've achieved less since Berti went than we did under him. We had some pretty traumatic times under him too it must be said.

But we can't use Berti as a reason to avoid going foreign again if it turns out to do the best option.

If Prandelli wants it, in my opinion it should be his. Now.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I don't buy this pish of the foreign option didn't work in the past, how many Scottish options have worked since?

Going on whether previous options have failed or not, we need to get ourselves to another galaxy to find the next manager.

Foreign didn't work once (but it did get us to a playoff which would've probably been enough to save Strachan this time round) but that's no reason not to try it again if we find the right man.

Didn't do Iceland much harm did it?

1 minute ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Going on whether previous options have failed or not, we need to get ourselves to another galaxy to find the next manager.

Foreign didn't work once (but it did get us to a playoff which would've probably been enough to save Strachan this time round) but that's no reason not to try it again if we find the right man.

Didn't do Iceland much harm did it?

????

I'm agreeing with you

59 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I don't buy this pish of the foreign option didn't work in the past, how many Scottish options have worked since?

I wouldn’t have a problem with a foreign manager. 

It would need to be someone good who was willing to work for the salary offered by the SFA though which limits the possibilities. 

I don't buy this if we can afford and if the sfa will pay.if I understood correctly Strachan was earning around half a million a year if you add on a generous bonus if we qualify I think that would be quite attractive to most managers in Europe barring the very top clubs.i think we are all guilty of looking at the money in england as a benchmark sometime. As has been said the sfa need to put an ad in the situations vacant and see who applies.one of the beauties of every game being on film there might be a good manager out there wanting a change who could research our players and see he could make them better and apply there are hundreds of managers out there that none of us have heard off that would jump at the job we just need the sfa to be more open minded.

Ian

5 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

I don't buy this if we can afford and if the sfa will pay.if I understood correctly Strachan was earning around half a million a year if you add on a generous bonus if we qualify I think that would be quite attractive to most managers in Europe barring the very top clubs.i think we are all guilty of looking at the money in england as a benchmark sometime. As has been said the sfa need to put an ad in the situations vacant and see who applies.one of the beauties of every game being on film there might be a good manager out there wanting a change who could research our players and see he could make them better and apply there are hundreds of managers out there that none of us have heard off that would jump at the job we just need the sfa to be more open minded.

Ian

Ireland pay Martin O’Neil £1 million per year apparently and they are hardly the best paying association. 

I think that’s about the minimum amount that a top manager from Europe would expect before considering relocating to Scotland. 

I’m sure plenty of foreign managers would happily come and manage Scotland for half a million but how many of those would you want?

Someone like Van Gaal or Klinsmann would probably want £2 million plus.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

After the USA’s campaign this year?

I’d rather the Emirates Arena was in charge. 

Granted it wasnt the greatest campaign but has won the CONCACAF gold cup 3 times. Still another name to consider is Mick McCarthy

3 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Granted it wasnt the greatest campaign but has won the CONCACAF gold cup 3 times. Still another name to consider is Mick McCarthy

To be fair, Arena wasn’t in charge at the start of the campaign when most of the damage was done. Not sure how good a fit he’d be for Scotland though. 

Mick McCarthy? I think we can do better than him don’t you?

40 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Ireland pay Martin O’Neil £1 million per year apparently and they are hardly the best paying association. 

I think that’s about the minimum amount that a top manager from Europe would expect before considering relocating to Scotland. 

I’m sure plenty of foreign managers would happily come and manage Scotland for half a million but how many of those would you want?

Someone like Van Gaal or Klinsmann would probably want £2 million plus.

I know what you are saying but martin o'neil would have got a decent pay rise for getting to the euros.i was not really thinking of an established international manager but even then if you look at the list of saleries for the managers at the last euros a package of half a mill and a big bonus for qualification should make it attractive

Ian

7 minutes ago, hoofitharder said:

I know what you are saying but martin o'neil would have got a decent pay rise for getting to the euros.i was not really thinking of an established international manager but even then if you look at the list of saleries for the managers at the last euros a package of half a mill and a big bonus for qualification should make it attractive

Ian

I agree that is an attractive package for almost any job in the world but it’s just not that competitive for an international managers job if we are wanting a major appointment of one of the world’s ‘top managers’ (which I don’t).  

If we offer half a million to a manager in demand then someone else will just offer more. 

£500,000 will get us a decent manager though but I just hope the SFA use a bit of common sense when making their choice. 

Fortuately I don’t think we need a Van Gaal or someone like that. We just need a hard working manager with attention to detail who will pick good players who are on form and playing for their club and will not be too stubborn to admit when he’s made a mistake and make changes. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree that is an attractive package for almost any job in the world but it’s just not that competitive for an international managers job if we are wanting a major appointment of one of the world’s ‘top managers’ (which I don’t).  

If we offer half a million to a manager in demand then someone else will just offer more. 

£500,000 will get us a decent manager though but I just hope the SFA use a bit of common sense when making their choice. 

Fortuately I don’t think we need a Van Gaal or someone like that. We just need a hard working manager with attention to detail who will pick good players who are on form and playing for their club and will not be too stubborn to admit when he’s made a mistake and make changes. 

Totally agee