Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Good article on Stephen Robinson in today's Scotsman. He talks up Michael O'Neill , says how he has reorganised Northern Ireland at all age levels, he knows every player from under 16 up to the full squad and has built up a great team spirit .

O'Neill sound like he ticks all the boxes for manager AND he lives in Scotland .

22 hours ago, GlesgaArab said:

Seems odd to me that you describe people that oppose his racist views as closed minded rather than the racist himself.

Too right he’ll have difficulty shaking it off and so he should. His apology was lacklustre at best, I’m sure he caveated it with a comment about it not being illegal. 

Yes we all mistakes and we should accept responsibility for them. For Mackay, I think that should include not being involved in the Scotland set up. Is he such a catch he’s worth the baggage? 

You say the fans and players wouldn’t give a feck, I disagree. You might not care if our national game has a bigot for a manager but you can’t speak for everyone (eg. Anya?).

Cmon, the snowflake patter belongs in a Katie Hopkins (is that her name?) column. 

Well said Sir. I for one am very unhappy that mackay was brought in to oversee our future development never mind take charge of the team. Going on some wee course won't have changed him at all and for the 1st time in my entire life I hope we lose when we play against the Dutch, as long as it means the guy doesn't get the job full time. 

If Regan et al do appoint him I won't be back while he's in charge. 

4 minutes ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

Well said Sir. I for one am very unhappy that mackay was brought in to oversee our future development never mind take charge of the team. Going on some wee course won't have changed him at all and for the 1st time in my entire life I hope we lose when we play against the Dutch, as long as it means the guy doesn't get the job full time. 

19 hours ago, macy37 said:

5 minutes ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

you don't know that for sure. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

you don't know that for sure. 

Call it an educated guess. He was a 42 year old grown man working in a multicultural industry in 2014, an industry he'd been a part of for decades. All players & managers were involved or at least aware of Show Racism The Red Card types of displays, they've been happening for years. Having played alongside, coached and managed players from many different backgrounds and then come out with the stuff he did, combined with the half-hearted "apology" means he should have been binned. A course doesnt change that.

There's loads of excellent coaches out there, guys with better track records and none of the baggage, this is very poor by the SFA. 

Just now, cheesynsicksheep said:

Call it an educated guess. He was a 42 year old grown man working in a multicultural industry in 2014, an industry he'd been a part of for decades. All players & managers were involved or at least aware of Show Racism The Red Card types of displays, they've been happening for years. Having played alongside, coached and managed players from many different backgrounds and then come out with the stuff he did, combined with the half-hearted "apology" means he should have been binned. A course doesnt change that.

There's loads of excellent coaches out there, guys with better track records and none of the baggage, this is very poor by the SFA. 

so you agree, you don't know for sure. 

thanks for clarifying 

19 minutes ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

using your logic, I assume you want us to lose every week till Griffiths gets binned too.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/409568/celtic-ace-leigh-griffiths-wont-face-trial-over-tweet-telling-man-to-f-off-back-to-your-own-country/

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/4-other-controversies-of-celtic-and-scotland-striker-leigh-griffiths-1-4507244

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Honestly ? I wouldn't have him in the team, but he's a player - the manager's role is different. I'm sure even you would agree with that. 

1 minute ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

Congratulations, you win. 

Your prize is to pick a pejorative to describe yourself as I can't be bothered. 

awe don;t sulk, I'm merely pointing out that none of us are in a position to judge Mckay because we don't have the first clue whether he's changed or not. If he hasn't then I'm in full agreement with you except wanting Scotland to lose.

1 minute ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

Honestly ? I wouldn't have him in the team, but he's a player - the manager's role is different. I'm sure even you would agree with that. 

erm yes, honestly

so if Mckay was a good manager you would feel different? or players can be scum bags but the manager can't?

honestly?:lol:

Edited by vanderark14

Just now, vanderark14 said:

awe don;t sulk, I'm merely pointing out that none of us are in a position to judge Mckay because we don't have the first clue whether he's changed or not. If he hasn't then I'm in full agreement with you except wanting Scotland to lose.

What's the test to see if he's "changed" ? 

16 minutes ago, cheesynsicksheep said:

Did you not read the bit where I said I wouldn't have him in the team ? 

I mis-read the post. You would honestly drop our best and arguably our only decent striker because he's a bit of a dick?

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Good article on Stephen Robinson in today's Scotsman. He talks up Michael O'Neill , says how he has reorganised Northern Ireland at all age levels, he knows every player from under 16 up to the full squad and has built up a great team spirit .

O'Neill sound like he ticks all the boxes for manager AND he lives in Scotland .

O'Neills attention to detail on every game is staggering, if he comes he'll bring Austin McPhee with him who does all the video analysis for NI.

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I mis-read the post. You would honestly drop our best and arguably our only decent striker because he's a bit of a dick?

Yep, shocking isn't it ? Some things should be bigger than football, he's a racist wee dick  (and as much as I hate it I still cheered his goals. I'm such a hypocrite). 

I wonder why the F*** Michael O'Neil would walk out on management role on the country of his birth. A country higher ranked than us and having qualified recently for a major tournament so why, by jesus, would he chuck all that away to manage Scotland?

I think far too many on here are guilty of dreaming or wishful thinking.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Tom English said on radio that Northern Ireland have an ageing squad and nothing coming through, whereas Scotland  have some pretty good players with a few good ones in the pipeline.

He seemed to think that O'Neill would be tempted . You're right Craig , it would be a coup for Stewart Regan if he managed to get him .  O'Neills track record is pretty impressive and I am sure he will give the Scotland based players a chance .

30 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I wonder why the F*** Michael O'Neil would walk out on management role on the country of his birth. A country higher ranked than us and having qualified recently for a major tournament so why, by jesus, would he chuck all that away to manage Scotland?

I think far too many on here are guilty of dreaming or wishful thinking.

I agree that it’s unlikely but not impossible. 

He lives in Scotland, enjoys the Scottish game and might be looking for a new challenge after a few years in charge of NI. 

I do think that he might move back into club management when he leaves NI though. I doubt he’ll be short of job offers when he does. 

I don't know if anyone saw it but, in Today's Sun, ROY KEANE gets mentioned (on page 78 on far left).

It also touts more unfamiliar names instead of the usual suspects.

The others mentioned are: Jurgen Klinsmann, Marc Wilmots, Louis van Gaal, Vladimir Weiss (manager, not son) and Sam Allardyce.

I will put another couple of names forward: Laurent Blanc and Martin Jol.

Discuss lol.

31 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I don't know if anyone saw it but, in Today's Sun, ROY KEANE gets mentioned (on page 78 on far left).

It also touts more unfamiliar names instead of the usual suspects.

The others mentioned are: Jurgen Klinsmann, Marc Wilmots, Louis van Gaal, Vladimir Weiss (manager, not son) and Sam Allardyce.

I will put another couple of names forward: Laurent Blanc and Martin Jol.

Discuss lol.

None are familiar with the Scottish game or indeed more importantly the players available to be selected

Absolutely pointless having a marquee big name manager if they dont have that on their CV

Needs to be:

1. Clued up on Scottish football and the pool of players available from the SPL and outwith

2. Good, along with assistants, at selecting and organising, (not coaching) squad players - set piece work etc

3. Good, along with assistants, at scouting the opposition

4. Good motivational skills with more than a Plan A for games / ability to realise quickly when something isnt working and changing it.

5. Someone who wont fall into the trap of having favourite players & only being brave when we are at a cliff edge.

6. In the main picks the best players available every time. It's alright replacing one or two who he thinks might not be suited to a certain opposition but not to an extent that the whole balance of the team is affected (George Burley, Craig Levein) (see 4)

7.Someone who has a good rapport with his players but by no means wants or will be their pal.

It's no coincidence that our most successful managerial team (Roxburgh & Brown) had all these things.

Brown carried on after Roxburgh but eventually fell into category 5 when the talent available dwindled

I don’t think the next manager necessarily has to be clued up on the Scottish game before he takes the job. A fresh pair of eyes and a willingness to watch our league and the English leagues and make up his own mind on the best squad could work. 

We’re limiting our possibilities otherwise.