nations league - just replaces 3rd place play offs? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

nations league - just replaces 3rd place play offs?

jockodile

Must admit I haven't paid attention to it but in the soul searching last 24 hrs I took a look.

In summary is the NL simply just a route to the Euro2020 playoffs that used to be via 3rd place? So using the Euro2016 campaign Germany and Poland would qualify,  but nothing for Ireland (or us naturally).

World cup 2018 qualifying threw up Italy and Spain in same group, Portugal and Swiss had near perfect campaigns etc. So with that in mind should be get a tough draw could the NL becomes potentially more important than the group itself? Even as insurance? 

Is this correct? Presume the Euro 2020 playoffs will be seeded and not an open draw.

2 minutes ago, jockodile said:

Must admit I haven't paid attention to it but in the soul searching last 24 hrs I took a look.

In summary is the NL simply just a route to the Euro2020 playoffs that used to be via 3rd place? So using the Euro2016 campaign Germany and Poland would qualify,  but nothing for Ireland (or us naturally).

World cup 2018 qualifying threw up Italy and Spain in same group, Portugal and Swiss had near perfect campaigns etc. So with that in mind should be get a tough draw could the NL becomes potentially more important than the group itself? Even as insurance? 

Is this correct? Presume the Euro 2020 playoffs will be seeded and not an open draw.

All spot on. 

Final paragraph - playoffs would be competed against the other group winners from your own league. So should in theory improve our chances of qualifying in that scenario. 

wow that is massive change from the current seeded playoffs.

Group D match off between say Lithuania v Cyprus the winner would end up qualifying.

we need to take this very seriously before you know it we'll be missing out just on 2nd in the Group due to dropping points against Lithuania, whilst they qualify effortlessly via NL. 

If playoffs are in March 2020 does that mean draw for finals will be 2 or 3 months before tournament or that draw will be made leaving 4 places for playoff winners? Even if we qualify are we likely to play even one match at Hampden? Can`t see how we could be guaranteed even 1 match there.

I think the draw is made in December 2019 as normal then the NL winners are then placed in the groups. If we were to qualify I think we would be guaranteed to play 2 of the group game at Hampden. Its set up for us to qualify for the first time in 22 years and all we get is a trip to sunny Glasgow!!

would surely need to wait until after the play-offs to do the draw. Not just Scotland but other countries that are hosting group games could be involved in the play-offs and think anywhere hosting group games that qualifies is guaranteed two home games in the group stage so UEFA couldn't put teams in groups until they see who finally qualifies 

On 10/10/2017 at 11:51 AM, bisland boy said:

would surely need to wait until after the play-offs to do the draw. Not just Scotland but other countries that are hosting group games could be involved in the play-offs and think anywhere hosting group games that qualifies is guaranteed two home games in the group stage so UEFA couldn't put teams in groups until they see who finally qualifies 

Yeah, I imagine the draw will be after the play-offs.

Could end up with a play-off final between Azerbaijan and Scotland, for example, with both countries having host cities.

2 hours ago, wubbs said:

Yeah, I imagine the draw will be after the play-offs.

Could end up with a play-off final between Azerbaijan and Scotland, for example, with both countries having host cities.

According to this, the EURO 2020 draw is in early Dec 2019 but the play offs aren't until March 2020. But it also has an "additional Final tournament draw if required". Whatever that means.:blink: - on 1st April 2020.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2502936.html

One thing I don't think they have thought about is this?

The teams that get through the European Nations League via play-oofs (four teams) it kind of lessens a need for them to put 100% into the Euro Qualifiers. What is to stop those pre-qualified teams putting out weakened teams and experimenting and giving an advantage to other teams in their qualifying group?

31 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

One thing I don't think they have thought about is this?

The teams that get through the European Nations League via play-oofs (four teams) it kind of lessens a need for them to put 100% into the Euro Qualifiers. What is to stop those pre-qualified teams putting out weakened teams and experimenting and giving an advantage to other teams in their qualifying group?

Mainly because it would be a mental thing to do.

They wont get through the play offs until after the EURO 2020 qualifiers are finished.

Having started to have a look at this, come next September we really have got to hit the ground running and win our "mini league" of pool C teams in the 6 games played Sept-Nov. 2018  3 double headers. This is in effect is our route to playoffs in March 2020 when there will be a semi final and final between the pool C winning teams.  The regular sections where now only top two qualify start in March 2019 and are over and done by November 2019 ( 10 games in 6 months) all 5 double headers, qualification through this route is going to be a bit of a sprint.

On the plus side the pool C teams are all about our level. On the minus side there are loads of double headers and we are hopeless in the second games.

Edited by Stockholm 1980