European Nations League - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

It's my understanding that there will be play-offs only within each group.   We're in C, so will play only the best group C teams (that have not already qualified).

Therefore a group C play-off is possibly our best chance of qualifying for 2020!   I.E. the green ones here... http://m.footballseeding.com/national-ranking-uefa/ranking-2017/   (We're supposedly C favourites by ranking along with Hungary, Romania & Slovenia.)

Could it be though, that all the group A play-off teams come from group B, as all group A teams might qualify by the normal route?   :huh:

I love puzzles.

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So are they, for example, letting San Marino into Euros should they win group D?

And you think, that lets say Scotland and Macedonia could have a play off from group C to reach world cup finals?

Yes, a team from the 4 group D leagues will qualify for Euro 2020.

I don't think any World Cup places will come from the Nations League. If there are it will be 1 at the most. If they give too many away it would make the qualifying rounds very tricky. 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, Grim Jim said:

Could it be though, that all the group A play-off teams come from group  League B, as all group  League A teams might qualify by the normal route?   :huh:

I love puzzles.

You will make it an even harder puzzle if you keep getting your groups and your leagues mixed up.;)

League D play of places are allocated first. So, one of the League D teams will be at the finals.

League C play off spots are allocated next. They will probably go to the 4 group winners, unless one of those qualifies automatically. If there aren't enough unqualified teams to fill the play off spots in League B, or League A, then those play off spots will be allocated to the best teams in League C who aren't in the League C play offs or already qualified. 

25 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

A few small stadia there.   As an aside, I wonder how Finland are funding their stadium revamp.

Yeah, some of the stadia don't look particularly promising for travelling fans. Hopefully we don't end up with more than 1 smaller stadium.

1 minute ago, todd said:

Want: Albania, Finland, Estonia.  Will get: Norway, Montenegro, Lithuania!

Nothing wrong with any of those, other than we've met Norway and Lithuania regularly this century.

I'll take anything as long as we avoid Israel - due to nightmare airport security procedures.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Scotland, Israel and Albania is my wish list 

Three teams in our group is plenty. We've got enough away trips to organise this year already as it is 

We'd probably arrange at least one friendly if we were in a 3 team group

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Nothing wrong with any of those, other than we've met Norway and Lithuania regularly this century.

I'll take anything as long as we avoid Israel - due to nightmare airport security procedures.

Really? I've heard it's not so bad. Maybe one to leave the kilt in a bag but I've heard security is generally ok unless you have a range of Arabic stamps in your passport. I fancy it anyway from a trip perspective, from a football point of view we could maybe do better?

27 minutes ago, slasher said:

Really? I've heard it's not so bad. Maybe one to leave the kilt in a bag but I've heard security is generally ok unless you have a range of Arabic stamps in your passport. I fancy it anyway from a trip perspective, from a football point of view we could maybe do better?

One of our travelling group works in the industry and from previous experience agrees it would be a nightmare trip for the same reason. Best avoided from both the security and the football front.

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

One of our travelling group works in the industry and from previous experience agrees it would be a nightmare trip for the same reason. Best avoided from both the security and the football front.

Ok, don't doubt your mate but I'm still attracted to it, especially if it's next year. We'll probably miss them anyway 😉

7 hours ago, bonny78 said:

What time is draw

11am gmt

Fixtures approx 3.30pm