European Nations League - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

European Nations League

EddardStark

5 hours ago, fraz65 said:

I totally agree. Israel will be fantastic. There's more of interest in a small area than anywhere else I've travelled to. You can realistically visit the Pyramids, Dead Sea and Petra in a few days. 

Great weather and food as well and it's somewhere we've never played. 

Goodluck getting back through the airport if you make a day trip to Petra though! It took me hours to get through security. 

I spent a week and a bit in Israel around an NI game. Amazing place and really enjoyable imo (provided your politics don't get in the way.).

Depending on travel arrangements and dates etc, you have to visit Jerusalem, for the history etc but it's a bit "moody", atmosphere-wise, so I'd suggest staying in Tel Aviv - completely different (modern, Western etc) and very laid back. Travel within the country is easy.

One specific tip: EVERYTHING closes down on the Sabbath (sundown on Friday), apart from the airport, I think - something to bear in mind when planing your trip - might be a good day for a trip to Jordan? (Petra is stunning).

Tirana is great crack too, and very cheap..

In August 2014 I booked a trip to Tel Aviv after spotting that Israel were playing Germany in March 2015. By the time we played in Dortmund the fixture had been cancelled. I decided to go anyway and would advise anyone to go. As pointed out already, you can visit Jerusalem and Petra.

Both were hard graft for a guy with two new knees and a new hip. For Petra I took a flight from Tel Aviv's smaller airport to Eilat, then a bus for 3 hours, before walking around Petra in scorching heat and bumpy underfoot conditions for about 4 hours. I'm glad I made the effort, however.

Being an atheist I went to Jerusalem because of all its hype. Shook my head watching the high hats and pigtails at the Wailing Wall. Thought to myself that, after 2000 years of fuc£ all happening, they'd have got the message.

Anyway, yesterday was, to put it mildly, a rather hectic day. Booked for four of us going via Paris (from Edinburgh) and Atlanta to Lima and Mexico City, four going to Tel Aviv (via Brussels from Glasgow) and five of us going to Tirana (via Frankfurt). Hotels in Lima (1 mile from stadium) and Mexico City sorted, although today I'll need to use somebody else's credit card for the October and November hotels, as yesterday I spent NINE FUc£ING GRAND!!

Scotland v Israel U21 in 2002 at Hamilton (a young Faddy with red stripe and rats tail) with the protestors (usual loud hailers from Argyle & Buchsnan St) was utterly embarassing.  Turned the majority of home fans against their protest and the young Israelis were clapped off from the main stand.

13 hours ago, McDange said:

Had a scan and started planning for Albania. BA doubled their price in less than 2 hours. 

Got in straight away and booked thurs to sun for 3 of us, was 119 each. Put in the whatsapp and 1 boy was 160 another 180 and another 220 in space of an hour. Sitting at 350 now:huh: 

Booked Israel last night night (with Turkish Airlines via Beirut and Amman) and booked the first leg of Albania this morning (used Avios Points to get Glasgow-Rome, then plan to get train down to Bari for the over night ferry to Durres which is only 40 minutes for Tirana)

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Scotland v Israel U21 in 2002 at Hamilton (a young Faddy with red stripe and rats tail) with the protestors (usual loud hailers from Argyle & Buchsnan St) was utterly embarassing.  Turned the majority of home fans against their protest and the young Israelis were clapped off from the main stand.

I'm already dreading the absolute dribble that the likes of Tommy Sheridan and George "would you like me to be the cat" Galloway are going to preaching to us in the lead up to the games

I think I'm getting my head around this qualifying process just about.

Am I right in saying that one team from our League (not group) will qualify for the Euros from the back of this?  And likewise 1 from each of the other 3 leagues?  So we could realistically see Malta or Luxembourg at the Euros?  I thought I had it all understood but just read a BBC article that said it's each of the League A group winners that qualify for the Euros but that doesn't sound right.

21 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Am I right in saying that one team from our League (not group) will qualify for the Euros from the back of this?  And likewise 1 from each of the other 3 leagues?  So we could realistically see Malta or Luxembourg at the Euros?  I thought I had it all understood but just read a BBC article that said it's each of the League A group winners that qualify for the Euros but that doesn't sound right.

You’re right

One from each league that hasn’t already qualified will qualify for Euro 2020. Including League D.

10 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Yes (with a few ifs and buts)

So basically the winner of each group qualifies for the playoffs playing the other 3 group winners in there league.

If a group winner has already qualified for the euros then there playoff spot goes to the next best team in the league that hasn't already qualified.

If all the best placed teams have qualified then the playoff spot goes to the next best placed team in the league below that hasn't already qualified or made there leagues playoffs.

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Booked Israel last night night (with Turkish Airlines via Beirut and Amman) and booked the first leg of Albania this morning (used Avios Points to get Glasgow-Rome, then plan to get train down to Bari for the over night ferry to Durres which is only 40 minutes for Tirana)

We're doing Rome-Bar-Durres route too.

Our trips are probably more expensive than most, as we've had to take several factors into consideration - days off work, direct flights, rather than two stopovers of x and y hours, and age!

Having looked at a good deal of options for the double header in the summer and the Nations League games, I would think a solo traveller, with time, would be able to manage all four games at a reasonable cost.

19 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

If the game is in Shkodra (still a possibility) then I suggest you do Bar-Budva instead.

Aiming to get in on the Friday morning, and as I am planning to fly out of Tirana on the Sunday, will just make Tirana base and bus in and out on match day to save hassle. 

Edited by wanderer

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

The winners of each of the 4 League A groups go into the semi finals of the Nations League. Only teams from League A can win the Nations League.

11 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Looked at going to dubrovnik and travel to albania from there. For anyone that knows the area, is this a crazy idea given the lack of options, or should i look at other routes?

I believe there is a over night bus that takes about 10 hours to get between the two, so is do'able...... just do not expect it to be as fast and as smooth as the distance on the map shows.

If the game is in Shkodër, you would pass through there anyway, but again, takes a good 7 or so hours.

15 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Looked at going to dubrovnik and travel to albania from there. For anyone that knows the area, is this a crazy idea given the lack of options, or should i look at other routes?

Dubrovnik is a great place. Done a tour that went as far as Budva in Montenegro which was about 90-120 minutes away. If the reports that it's likely to be in Shkoder are true then add another 90onto that

That would be a good base actually, handy for trips to Mostar and Montenegro. I'm sure there'll be a few fans doing likewise and maybe there'll be a bus laid on or something

If you've never been to Dubrovnik before then I highly recommend it

Edited by DoonTheSlope

56 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Would be a long journey but Dubrovnik is a great place to visit