Scottish Premier League v English Championship - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Premier League v English Championship

Shaun

I turned on Radio Scotland after Sky Coverage had finished, at the moment Michael Stewart was having a massive rant about players from English Championship being picked over Scottish premier league ones so, what are your thoughts on that?

For me, now is the time for the likes of Darren Fletcher and anyone over 29 to retire and give the young guys like John McGinn in for the next campaign.

5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I turned on Radio Scotland after Sky Coverage had finished, at the moment Michael Stewart was having a massive rant about players from English Championship being picked over Scottish premier league ones so, what are your thoughts on that?

For me, now is the time for the likes of Darren Fletcher and anyone over 29 to retire and give the young guys like John McGinn in for the next campaign.

29!????   Players can play in to their mid thirties comfortably.

play as many spfl players as possible.............for a start they at least have a point to prove...........the wasters in the English league that sit on their fat pay cheques week in week out have failed us time and again.

No disrespect to Fletcher/mulgrew who have been very good over the years/and the last 2 games.

but s.fletcher/Phillips/bannan/mcarthur...........we must have players in Scotland to replace them

I think it's less about the league any player plays in but more about who is in form!time and again GS plays who he wants!I want to see a manager pick who deserves it over a consistent period. 

Can anyone believe lee Griffiths was 4 th choice at the start of this campaign? And he was the form striker.....

It's something Stuart Cosgrove has made a point of repeating a lot as well - and indeed players from the Championship (of what?) often don't live up to their supposed status as coming from a better league than the SPFL. Aye, it's richer, but...

Re Fletcher - I was surprised how well he played v Slovakia as he's been poor whenever I've seen him in the past couple of years. If someone is playing well then they can get picked any time, but I still think that players from teams like Aberdeen (Kari Arnason scored for a team now at the top of their group on Friday!) and St Johnstone would be hungrier to do well than those that have spent more time in the Championship and are only in the squad owing to a granny who was born in Gretna.

I know it's not the 80s anymore when Aberdeen and Dundee United somehow ruled europe but it would help things if a club outside of Celtic could do something in europe.

Where Aberdeen the last club to make the europa league group stages? If so that was 2007. Since then league of Ireland teams like Dundalk and St Patricks have made it so it isn't impossible.

Says it all when you look at the standard of teams who knocked out the Scottish teams this summer.

To answer my own question, Jordan Rhodes is now at Yorkshire's 4th highest placed club [unless you call Middlesbrough in Yorkshire, then it's 5th], after having once played for the county's current top club...

39 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I know it's not the 80s anymore when Aberdeen and Dundee United somehow ruled europe but it would help things if a club outside of Celtic could do something in europe.

Where Aberdeen the last club to make the europa league group stages? If so that was 2007. Since then league of Ireland teams like Dundalk and St Patricks have made it so it isn't impossible.

Says it all when you look at the standard of teams who knocked out the Scottish teams this summer.

this....  most spl clubs outsid Celtic would struggle to stay in the championship.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

It's something Stuart Cosgrove has made a point of repeating a lot as well - and indeed players from the Championship (of what?) often don't live up to their supposed status as coming from a better league than the SPFL. Aye, it's richer, but...

Re Fletcher - I was surprised how well he played v Slovakia as he's been poor whenever I've seen him in the past couple of years. If someone is playing well then they can get picked any time, but I still think that players from teams like Aberdeen (Kari Arnason scored for a team now at the top of their group on Friday!) and St Johnstone would be hungrier to do well than those that have spent more time in the Championship and are only in the squad owing to a granny who was born in Gretna.

I actually thought Fletcher was our best midfielder by some distance over the double header and that's including the fact he was weak tonight for first goal. Kept possession better than most and passing was of a far higher standard over two games.

Given he's been our best midfielder and I think even needs to be replaced, tells you everything about rest of midfield.

Why not pick on form players from scottish league one or two then?

If a forward for Alloa is banging in the goals then get him in the squad. 

Largely speaking the teams / leagues a player plays for / in represents what professionals think their standard is. Ie the better players play for better teams in better leagues. 

People talk about guys like Steven Fletcher being rubbish. If Fletcher played for either of the old firm he would be a goal a game striker. 

Likewise would guys like McGreggor get a game at clubs in England? If so at what standard. Most likely the championship.

Its easier to look better playing against worse players and they dont expose your weaknesses or punish your mistakes.  Tierney is a classic example of this. Personally i really rate the boy but until he plays for a side who are not heavy favourites and comes up against top wingers week in week out then we cant really judge how good he is.

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Largely speaking the teams / leagues a player plays for / in represents what professionals think their standard is. Ie the better players play for better teams in better leagues. 

People talk about guys like Steven Fletcher being rubbish. If Fletcher played for either of the old firm he would be a goal a game striker. 

Likewise would guys like McGreggor get a game at clubs in England? If so at what standard. Most likely the championship.

Its easier to look better playing against worse players and they dont expose your weaknesses or punish your mistakes.  Tierney is a classic example of this. Personally i really rate the boy but until he plays for a side who are not heavy favourites and comes up against top wingers week in week out then we cant really judge how good he is.

This.   Folk think that being a star in the spl is something... robertson can't even get a game. 

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

This.   Folk think that being a star in the spl is something... robertson can't even get a game. 

Northern Ireland's squad is littered with SPFL players , all from outwith Celtic. They've made the playoffs and therefore have a chance of making it two tournaments in a row. Iceland play with an Aberdeen Centre back who scored in a 3-0 away win in Turkey to qualify for their 2nd tournament in a row.

The argument that the SPFL doesn't have good enough players is utter pish and always has been

Edited by vanderark14

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Steven Fletcher couldn't spell goal a game. He'd also get nowhere near the Celtic team. Be lucky to make the bench actually. 

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The argument that the SPFL doesn't have good enough players is utter pish and always has been

Yup. Nonsense spouted by wallopers who never actually go and watch any games. 

Our last 3 managers have had this Achilles heel of picking and continuing to pick players from England who proved repeatedly they weren’t good enough for Scotland. 

Phillips could be in the top 6 with WBA and he still wouldn’t be good enough based on his performances the past 3 qualifiers. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

yeah the yard stick of playing in England = a good player has sickened me for a while. A serious flaw in the mentality of Scottish fans/managers recently. 

Even if a few of our players moved to lesser teams in Italy, Spain, Portugal that would improve our team if the guys were getting regular game time in those leagues but I guess that is an entirely different conversation.

Josh Magennis was a joke figure in the SPFL and he’s on the brink of qualifying for a World Cup on the back of being at a euros.

NI seem to have managed ok with guys on form up here, there keeper was at Hamilton not long ago (and didn’t have to move to the bench at Norwich to get considered).

Their management team is actually based in Scotland, unlike ours. Does Strachan not live down south? I know McGhee lives in Brighton.

Edited by sbcmfc

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Northern Ireland's squad is littered with SPFL players , all from outwith Celtic. They've made the playoffs and therefore have a chance of making it two tournaments in a row. Iceland play with an Aberdeen Centre back who scored in a 3-0 away win in Turkey to qualify for their 2nd tournament in a row.

Yeh, but they're not Scottish!

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Strachan went out of his way not to play Griffiths, after he came into the side we looked much better. 

Playing in England is not a statement of quality, people need to realise that. 

Then how come England don't need to reply on Championship players? They pick guys who are squad players for big EPL clubs.