Phillips - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Phillips

GaryWood34

I'm not that guy... well usually. You know the guy that starts a negative topic after a very tired team gave their all and have gone 5 games undefeated. 

But....

Phillips was / is garbage. He doesn't seem to care about Scotland. He doesn't have the hunger of others. I can forgive no ability but I cannot stand no fight or desire.

He was awful. He closed down and stood. He looked lost and has done in most matches.

Griffiths seems to have have a pop at him publically after the game in his interview on sky as well.

Gutted.

Edited by GaryWood34

What I don’t understand is why Strachan can’t see the guy’s a donkey?

To be fair, he had a decent game against Lithuania but then the whole team did. 

He was utter pish against Malta and not much better against Slovakia. 

Why did he start tonight? 

Edited by Texas Pete

To pick on Phillips is farcical, there were 10 others on the park who were just as useless although the real issue is the manager. I've no doubt as well that Phillips has taken a harder time on here than others as a result of his place of birth which is utterly shameful.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He started for height to combat their height at set pieces.

I get why he was picked for that.

I don't like his lack of heart. Which was visible.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

To pick on Phillips is farcical, there were 10 others on the park who were just as useless although the real issue is the manager. I've no doubt as well that Phillips has taken a harder time on here than others as a result of his place of birth which is utterly shameful.

Absolute nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Mox said:

Disagree... there was a lack of effort from him.  Didn't look interested.  Fletcher had a decent fame for a start.

5 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

He started for height to combat their height at set pieces.

I get why he was picked for that.

I don't like his lack of heart. Which was visible.

Ok then. Why was he kept on the park tonight when he was clearly inept? 

5 minutes ago, Mox said:

3 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Absolute nonsense.

Indeed absolute nonsense, he must have been watching a different game. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He plays at a good level at a top half premier league team most weeks.

He was a big disappointment these two games. Frustrating as he played well the last double header.

Generally when you select your squads/teams you go with the guys playing at the highest levels and Phillips is one of those.

20 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He plays at a good level at a top half premier league team most weeks.

He was a big disappointment these two games. Frustrating as he played well the last double header.

Generally when you select your squads/teams you go with the guys playing at the highest levels and Phillips is one of those.

So you think he should have started tonight after being rank on Thursday? Are you Gordon Strachan in disguise?

I don’t have a problem with Phillips starting against Slovakia. I have a problem with him starting tonight and I have a bigger problem with him not being taken off tonight when he was clearly worse than a man down. 

One of the big questions before tonight was how we could cope with 180 minutes in 3 days, and how we could combat the fatigue we've seen in previous double headers.

So for the guy, who was clearly done in after 40 minutes on Thursday to get another 140 minutes is beyond me!!!

I get he has the physicality we lack in midfield, but you could've dragged Gary O'Connor or Lee McCulloch out of retirement and got what Phillips gave tonight.

He had a good 1st 30 minutes on Thursday and had a belter of a Monday night game for WBA about a year ago.

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

Phillips was / is garbage. He doesn't seem to care about Scotland. He doesn't have the hunger of others.

Griffiths seems to have have a pop at him publically after the game in his interview on sky as well.

Weird.... English CV mercenary doesn’t care about Scotland - Shock. 

Got a link to Griffiths comment?

Absolutely honking - and it's not because he is English - no compsure on the ball, did he find a pink shirt at all today or the past three games? Runs about a bit, that's the only thing I can say.

Bizzare that he played 180 minutes yet the likes of McGregor didn't get any game time.

15 minutes ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Weird.... English CV mercenary doesn’t care about Scotland - Shock. 

Got a link to Griffiths comment?

Was on sky sports news.

something like

"we've equalised and would have won it if Matt had done his job / pulled it back properly"

looked thoroughly pissed off.

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So you think he should have started tonight after being rank on Thursday? Are you Gordon Strachan in disguise?

I don’t have a problem with Phillips starting against Slovakia. I have a problem with him starting tonight and I have a bigger problem with him not being taken off tonight when he was clearly worse than a man down. 

Should read what I posted. I said he underwhelmed in both qualifiers. He did play well in the previous double header in September although against weaker teams.

I just said why Strachan picks.

He starts regularly for a solid mid table prem team. Frequently assists and pops up with goals aswell.

That's why he's in the squad as he plays week in week out at a higher level than half the squad.