Argentina in soapy bubble - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Argentina in soapy bubble

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Portugal looking like they’ll be have to go through the playoffs too so we could have a World Cup without Messi & Ronaldo!

Did Messi not retire from international football? I suppose he must have changed his mind. He probably got inspiration from Scott Brown?

PEROOOOOOOO!

Woohoo! Always had a soft spot for them, and they seemed for a while to be the Scotland of CONEMBOL, but they've finally done it and a playoff against NZ beckons.

Surprised about USA as they seemed to have turned the corner after the 4-0 Panama win.  Oobbh!

30 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Eliminated by Trinidad and Tobago :lol: 

1st time they not qualified since 86 = crock of shit they get 3 qualifiers from 6 teams - on that basis Europe would have 27 spots, rather than the 13 we get - same goes for south america group 

5 hours ago, euan2020 said:

1st time they not qualified since 86 = crock of shit they get 3 qualifiers from 6 teams - on that basis Europe would have 27 spots, rather than the 13 we get - same goes for south america group 

I don’t completely disagree on CONCACAF, but there is pre-qualifying to get in that 6. CONCACAF over performed slightly in Brazil with Costa Rica and Honduras doing better than expected, but USA and Mexico effectively get a free pass (usually) with 1 or 2 others getting in with them and I don’t know they are any better than teams who won’t qualify from other confederations. (Ie UEFA and COMNEBOL)

Not sure Asia are bringing much to the party? Australia have a play off v Syria to qualify, we’ve been brilliant in the Kirin Cuo, maybe we should move to the AFC too.

:lol:

South America, doesn’t have a lot of countries, but they do merit their 4.5 places in my eyes. Would Chile, Paraguay or Ecuador weaken the tournament any? You could make a case for 5.5 places at expense of an Asian team.

53 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t completely disagree on CONCACAF, but there is pre-qualifying to get in that 6. CONCACAF over performed slightly in Brazil with Costa Rica and Honduras doing better than expected, but USA and Mexico effectively get a free pass (usually) with 1 or 2 others getting in with them and I don’t know they are any better than teams who won’t qualify from other confederations. (Ie UEFA and COMNEBOL)

Not sure Asia are bringing much to the party? Australia have a play off v Syria to qualify, we’ve been brilliant in the Kirin Cuo, maybe we should move to the AFC too.

:lol:

South America, doesn’t have a lot of countries, but they do merit their 4.5 places in my eyes. Would Chile, Paraguay or Ecuador weaken the tournament any? You could make a case for 5.5 places at expense of an Asian team.

think Australia have a further qualifier

They did get kind of screwed over I thought in 85 having to play us - top of their group to get play off against european team 

didn't know about Concacaf prequaliifying 

4 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

think Australia have a further qualifier

They did get kind of screwed over I thought in 85 having to play us - top of their group to get play off against european team 

didn't know about Concacaf prequaliifying 

Yeah Australia will now play off against Honduras and Peru will play NZ.

I actually think there should be more inter-confederation playoffs. I think it makes it much more interesting.

23 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Yeah Australia will now play off against Honduras and Peru will play NZ.

I actually think there should be more inter-confederation playoffs. I think it makes it much more interesting.

Didn’t realise the Syria game had been played.

Theoretically more inter confederation play offs would guarantee more of the best teams qualify.

Although I understand it’s not just about the best teams qualifying it’s about money money money reaching out to all parts of the world with Football.

Edited by sbcmfc