Play off table - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play off table

Just seen the table in the DR. We're 6th at the moment on 9 played and 11 points. The three below are on 8 points, but they have all played a game less and have better goal differences. So even if we beat Slovenia, we need to hope one slips up or the gd's have been built up mainly over the bottom place teams. I for one will be supporting Ireland tonight considering Wales is one of those teams!

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Just seen the table in the DR. We're 6th at the moment on 9 played and 11 points. The three below are on 8 points, but they have all played a game less and have better goal differences. So even if we beat Slovenia, we need to hope one slips up or the gd's have been built up mainly over the bottom place teams. I for one will be supporting Ireland tonight considering Wales is one of those teams!

I think we want to see lots of draws in the Ireland/Wales group. Been loads in that so far anyway.

I can’t see Wales winning their last 2 games without Bale. 

I also can’t see Bosnia winning their last 2. 

We just need one of those teams to drop points and we’re fine (assuming we beat Slovenia which will be very tough). 

Sweden also need to go to the Netherlands and get something I think so surely one of the results we need will happen?

6 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

In the, admittedly unlikely, scenario of Slovakia failing to beat Malta (that's the unlikely bit) and us losing in Slovenia, we'd still finish second if my maths is correct. Would we, in that case, be looking at being the 9th placed team?

I think in that scenario Slovenia would finish second on goal difference/head to head instead of us.

4 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

In the, admittedly unlikely, scenario of Slovakia failing to beat Malta (that's the unlikely bit) and us losing in Slovenia, we'd still finish second if my maths is correct. Would we, in that case, be looking at being the 9th placed team?

Unless Wales and Ireland both draw their last two games, which is pretty unlikely. 

There are probably a few other unlikely scenarios that would see us get a playoff with 18 points but since Slovakia are not going to drop points against Malta, I’m not going to bother trying to work them out. 

We need to win on Sunday, it’s as simple as that. 

9 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Sorry, I misread your comment. I thought you meant if we drew with Slovenia. 

If we lose on Sunday we could still theoretically finish above Slovakia but Slovenia would finish above us on goal difference as we are both on +5 at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Sorry, I misread your comment. I thought you meant if we drew with Slovenia. 

If we lose on Sunday we could still theoretically finish above Slovakia but Slovenia would finish above us on goal difference as we are both on +5 at the moment. 

Yeah that's right.

I've revised my scenario - 

In the, admittedly unlikely, scenario of Slovakia failing to beat Malta (that's the unlikely bit) and us drawing in Slovenia, we'd still finish second if my maths is correct. Would we, in that case, be looking at being the 9th placed team?

13 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

Yeah that's right.

I've revised my scenario - 

In the, admittedly unlikely, scenario of Slovakia failing to beat Malta (that's the unlikely bit) and us drawing in Slovenia, we'd still finish second if my maths is correct. Would we, in that case, be looking at being the 9th placed team?

If Wales and Ireland or Bosnia and Greece get less than 4 points out of their last 2 games then 18 points would be enough for a playoff I think (if Slovakia don’t beat Malta). We’d be hoping for a lot of draws in both those groups. 

The chances of Slovakia failing to beat Malta are tiny though. I suppose Luxembourg drawing with France shows us anything is possible but I doubt 18 points would be enough for a playoff anyway. 

20 points might not even be enough (although I’m fairly confident it will be). 

Edited by Texas Pete

5 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Hopefully Iceland will lose away to Turkey as they will finish on 13 points tonight, because their last game is Kosovo on Monday, so won't count in total.

In that situation I think Turkey would move above Iceland into the playoff spot, don't know where it would place them in the 2nd place table though.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Hopefully Iceland will lose away to Turkey as they will finish on 13 points tonight, because their last game is Kosovo on Monday, so won't count in total.

Don’t think that would be any use as Turkey would probably finish second on 14 counting points (and with a better goal difference than us unless we pump Slovenia) as they are away to Finland, who are gash at the moment, in their last match. 

I suppose a Turkey victory tonight and a draw against Finland isn’t impossible but who knows?

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Yeah, just realised that.  This is giving me a headache!!!

That whole group is really close. Croatia and Iceland on 16 points and Turkey and Ukraine on 14.

It's possible for any one of the 4 teams to be in second place over the next 2 games. Iceland play Turkey this round of games and the next Ukraine play Croatia.

Ukraine sit 4th but if they beat Kosovo away and Iceland fail to beat Turkey then I think Ukraine can win the group by beating Croatia at home in the last game.

Edited by Lion Rampant

2 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Hope wales and Ireland do as badly as possible. Turkey win is best outcome. Bosnia lose. 

As Wales have won we should be hoping Ireland win as well to keep Monday night’s game meaningful for them. 

A draw or Ireland win on Monday would do nicely. Unless we don’t win on Sunday. If we don’t I wouldn’t give a monkey’s toss who won.