Match thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match thread

dandydunn

All on the Slovenia game then. Going into the final game with it in our hands for a play-off spot is more than anyone could've expected going into 2017. The turnaround this year has been fantastic, just need to keep this going for three (hopefully) more games..,

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mox said:

Nah, we were utterly rank, few long shots, got in behind twice, three times max against a team with 10 men for 67 mins, didn't make a second change until the 78th minute and yet we still won and as I said earlier, in spite of Strachan, not because of him. I'm not entirely convinced we will win in Slovenia, although I am convinced we will get scudded in the play offs, of that I am certain.

Think saying we were rank is incredibly harsh. 

Just now, Mox said:

Nah, we were utterly rank, few long shots, got in behind twice, three times max against a team with 10 men for 67 mins, didn't make a second change until the 78th minute and yet we still won and as I said earlier, in spite of Strachan, not because of him. I'm not entirely convinced we will win in Slovenia, although I am convinced we will get scudded in the play offs, of that I am certain.

I totally agree however as a backward footballing nation it’s nice to go into Sunday’s game with a wee chance.  I’ll enjoy the feeling while It last...3 days.

Totally deserved. Anyone who says otherwise I seriously doubt they are backing the side. Penalty appeal, hit bar twice had double shots on goal than them. Case closed. So they had 10 men well I have seen many a 10 man side come away with a result in matches. And lest we forget two of the subs the fans wouldn't have brought on were involved in the goal.

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Think saying we were rank is incredibly harsh. 

Not for me, we were rank. So one dimensional, very little vary in our play what so ever and we were forced to play on the front foot as a result of Slovakia going down to 10 men. Whilst, we did win and I am over the moon, there are huge problems, the fact Strachan sent on Anya, Martin and McArthur to rescue us whilst McGregor, McGinn and Fraser sit on the bench tells you all you need to know about him. I would be utterly stunned if we are Russia next year. 

Edited by Mox

Just now, Mox said:

Not for me, we were rank. So one dimensional, very little vary in our play what so ever and we were forced to play on the front foot as a result of Slovakia going down to 10 men. Whilst, we did win and I am over the moon, there are huge problems, the fact Strachan sent on Anya, Martin and McArthur to rescue is us whilst McGregor, McGinn and Fraser sit on the bench tells you all you need to know about him, I would be utterly stunned if we are Russia next year. 

I agree with the changes but Martin and Anya did combine for the goal but aye, Anya is Strachan’s most capped player which tells its own story. 

Part of me thinks this is in spite of Strahan. 

We’ve the makings of a decent wee team. 

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

Not for me, we were rank. So one dimensional, very little vary in our play what so ever and we were forced to play on the front foot as a result of Slovakia going down to 10 men. Whilst, we did win and I am over the moon, there are huge problems, the fact Strachan sent on Anya, Martin and McArthur to rescue us whilst McGregor, McGinn and Fraser sit on the bench tells you all you need to know about him. I would be utterly stunned if we are Russia next year. 

Watch the goal. It was two subs you would not have brought on that got us the goal.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Totally deserved. Anyone who says otherwise I seriously doubt they are backing the side. Penalty appeal, hit bar twice had double shots on goal than them. Case closed. So they had 10 men well I have seen many a 10 man side come away with a result in matches. And lest we forget two of the subs the fans wouldn't have brought on were involved in the goal.

This - their keeper had two or three very good saves to keep Slovakia in it for so long and the crossbar was rattled twice. We mustn't forget that Slovakia are ranked 19th in the world - even against ten men it was going to be a difficult game. Their defence was organised which made it very difficult to breakdown, but we managed it on a number of occasions. Sure, some of our players weren't at their best, but we've managed to beat a very good Slovak side - and we've put ourselves in a very good position going into Sunday's match.

6 minutes ago, Mox said:

Anya did more in the few minutes he had than Forrest did in the whole amount of time he had. Some played below par, yet we still had 22 shots at goal against a good side. I'll take being rotten and still win

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I agree with the changes but Martin and Anya did combine for the goal but aye, Anya is Strachan’s most capped player which tells its own story. 

Part of me thinks this is in spite of Strahan. 

We’ve the makings of a decent wee team. 

I agree wholeheartedly with the bits in bold and would say with absolute certainty it is in spite of Strachan and not because of him.

I am delighted with the win, we lost two influential and on form players. We took our sweet time, but their keeper and the woodwork kept them in that game for so long.  We have a cup final on Sunday, we are in 2nd place, the team must be buzzing right now.  Bannan was a far better player 2nd half and Anya rewarded the faith in him - the team won and the team got us to within 3 points of a play off place.  Now for Sunday, a birthday treat would be a win, lets not leave it so long. 1st half our main threat was Robertson, 2nd half was a nervy affair.

Have a look at that boys/ I dont want to be looking back but both of those 3 nil losses, man those hurt us on the GD.

c0e23007-d721-4a23-b7c2-19b6b866ac90.png

Edited by romanticscot

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

This - their keeper had two or three very good saves to keep Slovakia in it for so long and the crossbar was rattled twice. We mustn't forget that Slovakia are ranked 19th in the world - even against ten men it was going to be a difficult game. Their defence was organised which made it very difficult to breakdown, but we managed it on a number of occasions. Sure, some of our players weren't at their best, but we've managed to beat a very good Slovak side - and we've put ourselves in a very good position going into Sunday's match.

And lets remember we were missing two key players.

9 minutes ago, Mox said:

Agree fully.

If we did by some miracle make Russia, Strachans 23 would include some very very poor players with some very good ones not included. 

2 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

We've now beat Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania and took a point off England in last 5 games. As quick as I was to criticise strachan in the last campaign and the start of this one, I think he has to be given some credit now.,

Nah

4 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

We've now beat Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta, Lithuania and took a point off England in last 5 games. As quick as I was to criticise strachan in the last campaign and the start of this one, I think he has to be given some credit now.,

We are on a 6 match unbeaten run right now, with only 2 competitive points dropped.  Not bothered about the draw with Canada.If we had beaten Lithuania at home, we would have qualified for the 2nd round right now.

Edited by romanticscot

Utter nonsense because we have so few "very good" players the notion any of them wouldn't be included is ridiculous.

We have, at a generous push, one or two "very good" players by the standard of international football. A few better than average perhaps but little more and essentially we're spoiled by average choices...if you'd offered anyone the chance of a play-off being in our own hands going into the last game in August 2016 you'd have taken it. I don't love Strachan by any means, and indeed would have punted him last autumn, but he's done the job required from nine games. Whether he makes it 10...we'll see.

It was great to win and keep the dream alive, but I agree we are winning in spite of Strachan and not because of him. Without the influence of Brown and strong running of Armstrong the midfield is one dimensional and static . In the first half we had an extra man, but still Griffiths was isolated. For me McGregor and McGinn should have started. I could not see the point of taking off Forrest when we needed width, and he is more dangerous late when the game stretches. Then he brings Tierney off and brings on Anya who is far less of a threat than Forrest. Fletcher, Bannon, Phillips, Anya and MacArthur are not international class. McGregor and McGinn have still to prove themselves at that level, but have the potential to step up. Plus they have far more dig and goal threat than those who started today.