The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure the SFA pay around £900,000 per year. 

£300,000 goes to Queen’s Park and the rest goes to the upkeep of the stadium. 

If this is correct (cannae mind where I read it) then the SFA will be potentially saving £300,000 per year which can go into grass roots football (or more than likely bonuses for the fat cats and junkets abroad). 

Not to mention the fact that the SFA will now get the lion’s share of any concert/event money. 

It really is a good deal for the SFA and Scottish Football, with the possible exception of Queen’s Park when the money runs out. 

Whether or not major redevelopment will happen any time soon is another matter. 

You're right. Found a times article that shows the total yearly cost to the SFA at £800k with £500k of that being for maintenance, the £300k balance being the rent to QP

19 hours ago, biffer said:

Basically that's the proposition that got the SRU into massive debt. Both Hampden and Murrayfield are only full on a handful of occasions every year, so they need other events to make money. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you think the SFA is a competent organisation who could run something of this nature.

Scottish Rugby has made a profit for the last few years, with a rise in income of 63% over the last seven years.

Debt is down to £2.4m, significant ongoing and increasing investment made into grassroots egg-chasing.  They're doing ok.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

How many times a year? 4 or 5? Woopee fucking do. Hampden was full for, Celtic Rangers, Scotland-England, Scotland-Slovakia, Celtic-Motherwell last year for starters. It also held Semi Finals with 40,000+ there last year whilst Murrayfield was sitting empty.

No cunt cares about Rugby the other 360 days of the year up here except 6 nations.  Edinburgh Rugby play in front of smaller crowds than Pollok gets for a big Scottish Cup tie!

touched a nerve did I??  You slag off Murrayfield for only selling out 4-5 times a year (was 5 last season) and your big putdown is that, during the same season, Hampden was sold out 4 times. Wow, well done you. Anyway, the decision is made and Scottish football will continue playing in a stadium that everyone agrees is rubbish. The SFA will convene meetings for the next decade or so about improving it and nothing will change.  

10 hours ago, dipped flake said:

touched a nerve did I??  You slag off Murrayfield for only selling out 4-5 times a year (was 5 last season) and your big putdown is that, during the same season, Hampden was sold out 4 times. Wow, well done you. Anyway, the decision is made and Scottish football will continue playing in a stadium that everyone agrees is rubbish. The SFA will convene meetings for the next decade or so about improving it and nothing will change.  

Untrue.

Sorry but let's just dispel this myth about Hampden being rubbish eh? 

UEFA certainly do not think it is rubbish or else why would they grade it so high and use it on numerous occasions for its premiere club and international competitions. 

The Commonwealth Games Committee do not think it is rubbish or else why did they allow it to be the main venue of the Commonwealth Games. 

The Olympic Committee do not think it is rubbish or else why was it allowed to stage events at the 2012 Olympics. 

Several of the best musicians and bands in the world don't think it is rubbish or else why have they staged concerts there. 

The correct and accurate statement would be that the Scotland fans would like renovations done to improve the view they get and increase the atmosphere and capacity. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but let's just dispel this myth about Hampden being rubbish eh? 

UEFA certainly do not think it is rubbish or else why would they grade it so high and use it on numerous occasions for its premiere club and international competitions. 

The Commonwealth Games Committee do not think it is rubbish or else why did they allow it to be the main venue of the Commonwealth Games. 

The Olympic Committee do not think it is rubbish or else why was it allowed to stage events at the 2012 Olympics. 

Several of the best musicians and bands in the world don't think it is rubbish or else why have they staged concerts there. 

The correct and accurate statement would be that the Scotland fans would like renovations done to improve the view they get and increase the atmosphere and capacity. 

Yup, it's that rubbish it's hosted A European Cup Final, a Europa Cup Final, held commonwealth games track events, Olympic football games and will be hosting several Euro 2020 Final's games.  All in the last 20 years.

The way folk exaggerate how "rubbish" it is, is tiresome.

it's not perfect but it certainly isn't rubbish. I'd rather have our own stadium, the tradition and own it, enabling us to improve it over time, than play in a Rugby Stadium that's got similar issues to Hampden in terms of views and having to pay the SRU each year for the privilege.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Yup, it's that rubbish it's hosted A European Cup Final, a Europa Cup Final, held commonwealth games track events, Olympic football games and will be hosting several Euro 2020 Final's games.  All in the last 20 years.

The way folk exaggerate how "rubbish" it is, is tiresome.

it's not perfect but it certainly isn't rubbish. I'd rather have our own stadium, the tradition and own it, enabling us to improve it over time, than play in a Rugby Stadium that's got similar issues to Hampden in terms of views and having to pay the SRU each year for the privilege.

Couldn’t agree more. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not only that but in charge of Hampden then Scottish football has control of its own destiny. What would have happened if 2,3,4 or 5 years down the line the SRU changed the terms of the agreement and upped the asking price and the deal fell apart - Scottish international football would be homeless.

Agreed. 

Renting from Queen’s Park is one thing but renting from the SRU is something else altogether. 

QP would never have been in a position to kick Scotland out. They needed the income and couldn’t run Hampden themselves. The SFA would always have had an option to renew their lease every 20 years, or in the case of this time, to buy the stadium. 

What would have happened in 20 years if the SRU decided not to renew the contract and the SFA have no money to build a new stadium? The only option would have been to accept a deal from the Old Firm to line their pockets. 

Edited by Texas Pete

21 minutes ago, biffer said:

Just for completeness, 17-18 Murrayfield had five sellouts of 67k plus two other occasions with a crowd of around 25k. In 16-17, four sellouts, plus two at over 50k and one of 23k

I don't see what relevance that has here. Those were for rugby matches paid for by rugby fans who invariably do not shell out for 9 months of the year on any club rugby.

24 minutes ago, biffer said:

Just for completeness, 17-18 Murrayfield had five sellouts of 67k plus two other occasions with a crowd of around 25k. In 16-17, four sellouts, plus two at over 50k and one of 23k

So we could have had a national sports stadium, hosting 9 or 10 sell out fixtures a season. Instead we must keep football in Glasgow so now will continue wasting money. Anyway, as I said earlier, the decision is made so we are stuck with it.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see what relevance that has here. Those were for rugby matches paid for by rugby fans who invariably do not shell out for 9 months of the year on any club rugby.

So what?? These crowds would have been in addition to the football crowds if we had the one sports stadium. 

2 minutes ago, dipped flake said:

So what?? These crowds would have been in addition to the football crowds if we had the one sports stadium. 

And ditto to your comment. Big deal. The SRU would keep all gate receipts from the rugby anyway as they do now. Ireland currently play both football and rugby at the Aviva Stadium but I do not see where it has had any knock-on bonuses results for the national football side or league if that is what you are trying to claim it would mean. Like I said 2,3,4 or 5 years down the line what would have happened should the SRU up the rent to a level the SFA do not want to pay which it could have. Homeless that is what.

6 minutes ago, dipped flake said:

So we could have had a national sports stadium, hosting 9 or 10 sell out fixtures a season. Instead we must keep football in Glasgow so now will continue wasting money. Anyway, as I said earlier, the decision is made so we are stuck with it.

Wasting money would be chucking money in rent to the SRU for decades.

We wouldn't have a National Sports Stadium. We'd have a Rugby Stadium that the SFA rented out for games. SRU would have the first dibs on any dates they needed for games.

I'm surprised at how little has been made of the obvious carve this deal is.  It's gloriously shite and standard SFA mismanagement.  Folk complaining that we would be homeless if the SRU changed the deal, what do we do when we can't afford to pay the financiers of this newly agreed one and subsequent over priced stadium improvements?  Sell it to them and rent it back will be the answer.   I wish I could have been in the Club that have been privy to this and I would've thrown in my 10 cents for a share in the future deal.

Great for business, but shite for Scottish Football.

Just now, BremnerLorimerGray said:

I'm surprised at how little has been made of the obvious carve this deal is.  It's gloriously shite and standard SFA mismanagement.  Folk complaining that we would be homeless if the SRU changed the deal, what do we do when we can't afford to pay the financiers of this newly agreed one and subsequent over priced stadium improvements?  Sell it to them and rent it back will be the answer.   I wish I could have been in the Club that have been privy to this and I would've thrown in my 10 cents for a share in the future deal.

Great for business, but shite for Scottish Football.

And the national football team moving into a rugby ground is good for Scottish football?