The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How many times a year? 4 or 5? Woopee fucking do. Hampden was full for, Celtic Rangers, Scotland-England, Scotland-Slovakia, Celtic-Motherwell last year for starters. It also held Semi Finals with 40,000+ there last year whilst Murrayfield was sitting empty.

No cunt cares about Rugby the other 360 days of the year up here except 6 nations.  Edinburgh Rugby play in front of smaller crowds than Pollok gets for a big Scottish Cup tie!

Squirrel I would stop now if I were you. I don't think you know the first thing about Scottish rugby.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Spot on, I've explained this numerous times on here and folk just don't listen.

Plenty of trains stations nearby, even walk to Shawlands which is 20 mins away and you'll get a bus into city centre in less than 10 mins. Before Shawlands there's Mount Florida, Crosshill, Kings park etc etc plus numerous bus routes.

Made getting served in Armstrong's nice and easy though. :beer2:

You could do worse than tout your services as a tour guide . I am willing to donate a brolly and sandwich board 🙂

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

sponsorship like stadium naming rights would be a good start.

That's fair enough to a point. So we are going to spunk 10s of millions on another stadium when we already have 3 more than big enough to use.

Given the state of the national game that's criminal.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure if you're just having a bad day or you feel extremely passionate about this subject but you are doing Rugby a disservice here. Murrayfield was full to the gunnels at least five times last year which is very good considering its not our number one sport. That would indicate that someone cares more than 360 days a year.

SRU still have a very old school menatiliy that they distribute tickets through clubs (have mates and ex-work collegues who are members at Ayr, Ardrossan Accies and Greenock, and all members are entitled to a Scotland ticket purchased through club.... SFA/SSC have not done anything like this in over 20/25 years selling match tickets via the clubs) plus there is hardly a major business in Edinburgh that does not get comps for matches from the SRU.

As there is only a hand full of rugby internationals (all against top quality opposition) at Murrayfield (4/5) and they are all on Saturday/Sunday’s, there is a bit of a novelty to it, compared to the football team who have 6/7 games each year (and maybe 1 or 2 games v top quality opponents out of that) and very rarely at a weekend.

I'd suggest there's 67,000 folk that like a day out with their pals 5 days a year, rather than actually being Rugby fans.

Otherwise folk would actually go and watch Rugby more than 5 times a season.

Reality its that Rugby is a just a way for middle classes to hobnob a few times a year.

Any given weekend there are 100,000+ Scotland watching professional games. Fans that go week in, week out.

For folk that suggest that there shouldn't be a National Stadium for Football and that we should pump money into another sport to use theirs is laughable.

you're showing an incredible level of ignorance here

I attend matches at murrayfield every six nations and in the autumn, I also went to the world cup to see us play Samoa at St James's park. I am the furthest from middle class you can get, I'm basically a tink originally from a council estate. The people i go with are the same. We enjoy the sport, I'll admit I didn;t get into it till later in life because its not popular where i come from but its getting more popular as the town now has a team. If I can't make the actual match at Murrayfield, Dublin, Cardiff, London etc I am screaming at the TV the same way I would if it was the Scotland fitba team

The support levels will never be on a par with football, football is more popular and always will be, certainly in my lifetime. I'm not sure what your point is re attendances. Can you clarify?

I wouldn't suggest there should be no national stadium but if it became apparent that the Hampden option was no longer viable I would be happy enough for us to play at Murrayfield. Having one national stadium in the capital would be fine with me. 

Not sure if I’m in the minority but don’t see a great deal wrong with Hampden as it is. Being closer to the pitch would be ideal mind you. Improved performances and results, therefore more chance of important games is the best way to improve the atmosphere. 

Getting there and back from the city centre isn’t that difficult if you’re organised and leave enough time. 

Public transport to other parts of the country, especially after the game could be improved though. 

Don’t get to go as much these days but enjoyed Monday night. 

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

SRU still have a very old school menatiliy that they distribute tickets through clubs (have mates and ex-work collegues who are members at Ayr, Ardrossan Accies and Greenock, and all members are entitled to a Scotland ticket purchased through club.... SFA/SSC have not done anything like this in over 20/25 years selling match tickets via the clubs) plus there is hardly a major business in Edinburgh that does not get comps for matches from the SRU.

As there is only a hand full of rugby internationals (all against top quality opposition) at Murrayfield (4/5) and they are all on Saturday/Sunday’s, there is a bit of a novelty to it, compared to the football team who have 6/7 games each year (and maybe 1 or 2 games v top quality opponents out of that) and very rarely at a weekend.

There's a novelty factor to Scotland football matches too IMO. Its usually a great day out, especially if the team is playing well. 

Scotland's rugby team play lower grade opposition too, Fiji, Samoa, Georgia and Italy are hardly world beaters. If anything, International rugby can be very repetitive due to the lack of teams playing it. 

SRU opperate a supporters club like the SFA - I am in both. 

Edited by vanderark14

28 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Qualifying for tournaments? Fuck me - 20 years later. 

The sfa struggled to find £4M to buy Hampden. Renovation could cost anything from £50m probably. Good luck with that squirrel.

Amazing that no cunt cares about rugby but they managed to sell out murrayfield last year for 3 autumn friendlies. 67500 each game squirrel. Thats visionary.

Remind me what the sfa pulled in for a qualifier the other night? 

Your prejudice really is now causing you to spout shite.

Like I said earlier quit the comparisons as it means nothing. Also Autumn internationals aren't friendlies they are Test matches that all count to ranking points.

The Six Nations is an annual European Championship Finals with matches against local rivals where thousands of travelling suppirt turn up unlike for football. Remember that football is not just about internationals but people have to budget for league football. For rugby fans it isnt the case apart from perhaps the 5  to 10,000 that attend Glasgow and Edinburgh matches. The Autumn Tests as well will invariably be against the best sides in the world suh as NZ, Australia or South Africa which are far more marketable than friendlies in football.

And I will repeat what I said yesterday that Hampden certainly is not a shite hole. It is ranked Grade A by UEFA, deemed suitable by Commenwealth Games and Oltmpic Committees and used for pop concerts of the highest order. Those would not be possible if it were any sort of a shite hole.

We would get sell-outs at Hampden if it annually staged European Championship Final matches with Scotland playing which would be equivalent to Six Nations.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There's a novelty factor to Scotland football matches too IMO. Its usually a great day out, especially if the team is playing well. 

Scotland's rugby team play lower grade opposition too, Fiji, Samoa, Georgia and Italy are hardly world beaters. If anything, International rugby can be very repetitive due to the lack of teams playing it. 

SRU opperate a supporters club like the SFA - I am in both. 

Correct. They will play 6 home internationals this season and probably all but sell out each game. The last Edinburgh v Glasgow game drew close to 30,000 if I remember. My son was playing in the half time minis game

To say no one is interested in rugby and it's just for middle class snobs says more about those making the comments than the game if you ask me.

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

you're showing an incredible level of ignorance here

I attend matches at murrayfield every six nations and in the autumn, I also went to the world cup to see us play Samoa at St James's park. I am the furthest from middle class you can get, I'm basically a tink originally from a council estate. The people i go with are the same. We enjoy the sport, I'll admit I didn;t get into it till later in life because its not popular where i come from but its getting more popular as the town now has a team. If I can't make the actual match at Murrayfield, Dublin, Cardiff, London etc I am screaming at the TV the same way I would if it was the Scotland fitba team

The support levels will never be on a par with football, football is more popular and always will be, certainly in my lifetime. I'm not sure what your point is re attendances. Can you clarify?

I wouldn't suggest there should be no national stadium but if it became apparent that the Hampden option was no longer viable I would be happy enough for us to play at Murrayfield. Having one national stadium in the capital would be fine with me. 

I've been to the Rugby once, at Rugby Park funnily enough but it's not for me. I want Scotland to win, in the same way I want Scotland to win at everything but that's about it.

My point about crowds was that folk say Hampden is a waste of money as it'll sit empty most the years but my point is that it'll have more folk through the door than Murrayfield will have in the average year and nobody moans about that.

Scottish Football has always been at Hampden and always should be in my opinion. Hampden is not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as some make out and certainly not miles worse than Murrayfield in terms of hosting a football game.

My opinion on Hampden being the home Scottish Football would be the same no matter where I stayed. It was the same when I had to rush for the last train home to Ayrshire after midweek games and it's the same when I've been down south and had to travel up for games.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I said earlier quit the comparisons as it means nothing. Also Autumn internationals aren't friendlies they are Test matches that all count to ranking points.

The Six Nations is an annual European Championship Finals with matches against local rivals where thousands of travelling suppirt turn up unlike for football. Remember that football is not just about internationals but people have to budget for league football. For rugby fans it isnt the case apart from perhaps the 5  to 10,000 that attend Glasgow and Edinburgh matches. The Autumn Tests as well will invariably be against the best sides in the world suh as NZ, Australia or South Africa which are far more marketable than friendlies in football.

And I will repeat what I said yesterday that Hampden certainly is not a shite hole. It is ranked Grade A by UEFA, deemed suitable by Commenwealth Games and Oltmpic Committees and used for pop concerts of the highest order. Those would not be possible if it were any sort of a shite hole.

We would get sell-outs at Hampden if it annually staged European Championship Final matches with Scotland playing which would be equivalent to Six Nations.

Craig it wasn't me making the comparisons - it was squirrel. I was just responding to his derogatory remarks about rugby about which I doubt he knows very much at all.

For what it's worth. I love both games and want them to prosper. I just don't see the sense of retaining Hampden. It's a daft idea and a total waste of money that is desperately needed at grass roots level.

But seeing as you mentioned comparisons are you comparing autumn rugby tests with European football finals? 

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've been to the Rugby once, at Rugby Park funnily enough but it's not for me. I want Scotland to win, in the same way I want Scotland to win at everything but that's about it.

My point about crowds was that folk say Hampden is a waste of money as it'll sit empty most the years but my point is that it'll have more folk through the door than Murrayfield will have in the average year and nobody moans about that.

Scottish Football has always been at Hampden and always should be in my opinion. Hampden is not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as some make out and certainly not miles worse than Murrayfield in terms of hosting a football game.

My opinion on Hampden being the home Scottish Football would be the same no matter where I stayed. It was the same when I had to rush for the last train home to Ayrshire after midweek games and it's the same when I've been down south and had to travel up for games.

Ok well we will gave to just agree to disagree. I think it's a stupid waste of much needed cash. To have 4 stadiums of 50k plus in Scotland is madness as it is.

37 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

The sfa struggled to find £4M to buy Hampden. Renovation could cost anything from £50m probably. Good luck with that squirrel.

Did you read my post earlier or just ignore it? SFA now own Hampden, they are able to sell imaging rights, they get all proceeds from concerts, renting it out etc now.  If the SRU can sell naming rights for a sport that's not the number 1 sport in the country then I'm sure we can for the sport that folk actually go and watch.

39 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Amazing that no cunt cares about rugby but they managed to sell out murrayfield last year for 3 autumn friendlies. 67500 each game squirrel. Thats visionary.

Well done. Shame they don't care enough to support grass roots Rugby then rather than Marrayfield being 95% empty when Edinburgh play there.

41 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Remind me what the sfa pulled in for a qualifier the other night? 

17,500. More than the SRU pulled for the game against Samoa at RP on a Saturday afternoon and not on a Monday night in monsoon conditions.

43 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Your prejudice really is now causing you to spout shite.

Look in the mirror.

Just now, ShedTA said:

Ok so your remarks about rugby and rugby crowds are pretty much baseless. I really don't get the big anti rugby thing among football supporters.most rugby fans i know love Football too. 

Baseless in which way? I've been to a Rugby game, I've never been to Murrayfield for a Rugby game.

4 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Ok well we will gave to just agree to disagree. I think it's a stupid waste of much needed cash. To have 4 stadiums of 50k plus in Scotland is madness as it is.

Agreed, the SRU should have moved to Hampden back in the 90s instead of nearly bankrupting themselves.

(Joke)

Edited by Squirrelhumper

9 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Craig it wasn't me making the comparisons - it was squirrel. I was just responding to his derogatory remarks about rugby about which I doubt he knows very much at all.

For what it's worth. I love both games and want them to prosper. I just don't see the sense of retaining Hampden. It's a daft idea and a total waste of money that is desperately needed at grass roots level.

But seeing as you mentioned comparisons are you comparing autumn rugby tests with European football finals? 

No I am comparing the Six Nations to European Championship Finals in fooitball as that is really what they are in Rugby Union.

I am not having any dig at rugby by the way. I enjoy watching it and support Scotland as i do football or any other team or Scottish spirtsman or woman. Murrayfield is a great stadium and the home of Scottish rugby. Just as Hampden is the home of Scottish football. And I will re-iterate again it is certainly not a shite hole. It has its faults but it is the esteemed home of Scottish football. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

23 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed.

Moving to Murrayfield or anywhere else permanently won’t solve the issues of attendances and atomosphere. Only improved performances and results can do that. And with Monday night games we might just need to accept lower crowds unless it’s a massive game to qualify. 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Agreed.

Moving to Murrayfield or anywhere else permanently won’t solve the issues of attendances and atomosphere. Only improved performances and results can do that. And with Monday night games we might just need to accept lower crowds unless it’s a massive game to qualify. 

Correct. And spending millions on a stadium is unlikely to improve performances.

29 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Never been, not interested.

That’s fairly obvious, given how you rely on inverse snobbery stereotypes. So conditioned to being one sport only Scottish as they come kind of guy that you rail against any suggestion that other sport is worthwhile. 

Edit - no doubt you’ll now tell me how much you love tennis or some such shit.

Edited by biffer

5 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Correct. And spending millions on a stadium is unlikely to improve performances.

Yeah definitely. Rather any money went on trying to improve youth development and cheaper tickets, anything but paying a premium so Belgium can hump us.

Edited by ParisInAKilt