The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How many times a year? 4 or 5? Woopee fucking do. Hampden was full for, Celtic Rangers, Scotland-England, Scotland-Slovakia, Celtic-Motherwell last year for starters. It also held Semi Finals with 40,000+ there last year whilst Murrayfield was sitting empty.

No cunt cares about Rugby the other 355 days of the year up here except 6 nations.  Edinburgh Rugby play in front of smaller crowds than Pollok gets for a big Scottish Cup tie!

Aye, just as an example there were 7 football crowds of 40,000 plus at Hampden last year.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How many times a year? 3 or 4? Woopee fucking do.

No cunt cares about Rugby the other 355 days of the year up here except 6 nations.  Edinburgh Rugby play in front of smaller crowds than Pollok gets for a big Scottish Cup tie!

Actually, while Murrayfield is far to big for Edinburgh, their average crowds in the Pro12 since 2012 have been about 5,000 for the last 3/4 seasons, and while they had a few years of 2k crowds, they have always averaged about 4k for home games, and they are moving into a new 7,000 seater ground being built on the grounds of Murrayfield.

1 minute ago, wanderer said:

Actually, while Murrayfield is far to big for Edinburgh, their average crowds in the Pro12 since 2012 have been about 5,000 for the last 3/4 seasons, and while they had a few years of 2k crowds, they have always averaged about 4k for home games, and they are moving into a new 7,000 seater ground being built on the grounds of Murrayfield.

4,000 folk is pathetic when there are only 2 professional teams in Scotland.

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

As mentioned before a problem with getting rid of the curved ends at Hampden would be the potential big loss in capacity. I'd be interested to see what plans could be drawn up to fit within the available footprint of the stadium.

This article says that when Bremen squared off the ends, the capacity was almost unchanged, so it can be done.

http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/ger/weserstadion

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It’s only the Irish teams that make average attendants in mid-high teens, Glasgow and Edinburgh are not far behind the welsh (who get crowds of 8k-ish, and Wales is considered Rugby daft!).

its debatable if Scotland could sustain a 3rd pro club... I suspect they could in Aberdeen, but SRU do not seem up for that idea after what happened with the Reevers.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not sure if you're just having a bad day or you feel extremely passionate about this subject but you are doing Rugby a disservice here. Murrayfield was full to the gunnels at least five times last year which is very good considering its not our number one sport. That would indicate that someone cares more than 360 days a year.

22 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Pleasing to hear that they are looking to do more to improve transport links, which is obviously an issue for many fans and should be fairly easy to deal with.

I'm sure there was a lot done for events during the Olympics and the Commonwealth games to get people away from the stadium quickly, but none of that is in place for Scotland games. Even having a number of busses that either free or heavily subsidised that could use the existing bus lanes to get back into the city quickly would be a massive improvement.

The transport links are fine, people are too thick to realise if they walk an extra 10 mins there are plenty of other stations where you don't have to qué. They could add busses yes but the road traffic tends to be a bit busy too.

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not sure if you're just having a bad day or you feel extremely passionate about this subject but you are doing Rugby a disservice here. Murrayfield was full to the gunnels at least five times last year which is very good considering its not our number one sport. That would indicate that someone cares more than 360 days a year.

I'd suggest there's 67,000 folk that like a day out with their pals 5 days a year, rather than actually being Rugby fans.

Otherwise folk would actually go and watch Rugby more than 5 times a season.

Reality its that Rugby is a just a way for middle classes to hobnob a few times a year.

Any given weekend there are 100,000+ Scotland watching professional games. Fans that go week in, week out.

For folk that suggest that there shouldn't be a National Stadium for Football and that we should pump money into another sport to use theirs is laughable.

16 minutes ago, Kirk said:

The transport links are fine, people are too thick to realise if they walk an extra 10 mins there are plenty of other stations where you don't have to qué. They could add busses yes but the road traffic tends to be a bit busy too.

Wasn't busy on Monday. Too many folk didn't turn up.;)

16 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Spot on, I've explained this numerous times on here and folk just don't listen.

Plenty of trains stations nearby, even walk to Shawlands which is 20 mins away and you'll get a bus into city centre in less than 10 mins. Before Shawlands there's Mount Florida, Crosshill, Kings park etc etc plus numerous bus routes.

13 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I'm in agreement with you, I've never had an issue getting away from Hampden whether that be using the train, bus or car. As you've said too many folk just pile up to Mount Florida and moan that there are queues. I've lost count of the times that people have moaned about the transport links then been shocked that there are more train stations around.

That being said, I think there could be more done in the way of designated busses to ferry people back to the city centre. The council ran shuttle busses from Hampden during the Commonwealth games and set up "games lanes" to allow them to get into and from the city quickly. Using existing bus lanes they could surely do the same again for after games at Hampden.

8 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

That being said, I think there could be more done in the way of designated busses to ferry people back to the city centre. The council ran shuttle busses from Hampden during the Commonwealth games and set up "games lanes" to allow them to get into and from the city quickly. Using existing bus lanes they could surely do the same again for after games at Hampden.

I'd pay an extra £2 on the price of my ticket if they ran free buses from say Torryglen to somewhere like Buchanan bus station to and from games if it shut folk moaning!

Folk would moan about queues for free buses though.

If Scotrail actually put on football specials it would be a start.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd pay an extra £2 on the price of my ticket if they ran free buses from say Torryglen to somewhere like Buchanan bus station to and from games if it shut folk moaning!

Folk would moan about queues for free buses though.

If Scotrail actually put on football specials it would be a start.

Definitely, I wouldn't have an issue with this at all.

Scotrail and First Bus really need to get their act together. Could be money to be made from them if they approached the SFA and came to some sort of arrangement for this, it can't be too hard to organise.

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I doubt they’d be allowed to use that name for the tournament. As it wouldn’t be an official UEFA sponsor.

I think selling naming rights is a great idea though.

What will they call the Aviva or what would the call the Emirates if they were using that?

Naming rights is not the same as sponsorship. The stadium name would actually change. 

Rugby crowds cannot be compared to football. It is a different animal.

The Six Nations is, by all intense purposes, the European Championship Finals every year against old rivals offering up annual local derbies. Far more meaningful and marketable than football can offer international-wise. Do not forget that visiting supporters bring many thousands more as well compared to football. Look at when Wales come to town. And then when it is the Autumn internationals they are competitive matches against the best nations in thevworld such as NZ or Australia or South Africa which are againbfar more marketable as one off matches. Rugby supporters only have perhaps 5 matches per year to budget for whereas football supporters tend to have perhaps 7 or 8 internationas ls as well as club football to budget for annually. 

Like I said you cannot really compare the two.

35 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What will they call the Aviva or what would the call the Emirates if they were using that?

Naming rights is not the same as sponsorship. The stadium name would actually change. 

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Ahhh, out of interest I just looked and actually you are right, Aviv is down as "Dublin Stadium" and Allianz as "football arena Munich", just seems to be everyone else giving them their Sunday name.

Wanderer already answered that.

Ireland managed to get €40m from Aviva for the naming rights to Lansdowne Rd, this was for a ten year period. This was recently extended for a further 5 years, can't seem to find how much the extended deal is worth though.

Now, the SFA may not get offers anywhere near this but it shows that if redevelopment of a similar stadium was done for €50-€60m (Stuttgart) and naming rights could raise somewhere in the region of €40m then it makes the prospect of redevelopment slightly more realistic.

17 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Now, the SFA may not get offers anywhere near this but it shows that if redevelopment of a similar stadium was done for €50-€60m (Stuttgart) and naming rights could raise somewhere in the region of €40m then it makes the prospect of redevelopment slightly more realistic.

SFA should be looking for at least that.

I know Lansdowne Road holds Rugby too but Hampden holds 4 National Semi Finals and 2 Finals every year as well as Scotland games.

9 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Hopefully these words will come back to haunt me, but I don't believe for a second that any significant development of Hampden will ever happen. It had to take an outside source to make up the couple million difference in the SFA getting the place off of QP, getting a fresh lick of paint will be about the limit

Makes a solid point there.  if they're quibbling over 2m, they're hardly going to punt loadzamoney on the development that's needed.

if it's not going to happen, why didn't we just do the Celtic Park, Ibrox and Easter Road model?  seems the one option that was excluded from the choices.  Murrayfield always was a crap option.

if Hampden is already part of the 2020 set up as well, doesn't sound like there will be anything doing for a turgidly long time. 

Edited by PapofGlencoe

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of ways to raise money. Qualifying for tournaments being the most obvious. Increased commercial use of Hampden being another and all monies would now go to the SFA.

Hopefully not in the way the visionary SRU got themselves into a debt that almost bankrupted themselves when Murrayfield was upgraded.

Most obvious would be naming rights. SRU got £20m for Murrayfield and no cunt really cares about Rugby in Scotland, so Hampden should be looking for as much, if not more.

Qualifying for tournaments? Fuck me - 20 years later. 

The sfa struggled to find £4M to buy Hampden. Renovation could cost anything from £50m probably. Good luck with that squirrel.

Amazing that no cunt cares about rugby but they managed to sell out murrayfield last year for 3 autumn friendlies. 67500 each game squirrel. Thats visionary.

Remind me what the sfa pulled in for a qualifier the other night? 

Your prejudice really is now causing you to spout shite.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd suggest there's 67,000 folk that like a day out with their pals 5 days a year, rather than actually being Rugby fans.

Otherwise folk would actually go and watch Rugby more than 5 times a season.

Reality its that Rugby is a just a way for middle classes to hobnob a few times a year.

Any given weekend there are 100,000+ Scotland watching professional games. Fans that go week in, week out.

For folk that suggest that there shouldn't be a National Stadium for Football and that we should pump money into another sport to use theirs is laughable.

Squirrel , quick one, when did you last go to murrayfield for a rugby match?