The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

I imagine one of the first things they will do is stadium naming rights (for the stadium as a whole, rather than just stands.... ie Emirates Hampden Park or such like) to get some fast cash, then take it from there.

imagine reconstruction is a good decade away, but good to hear that it is a option for down the road.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There was a story going around a few months ago that the now SNP run Glasgow Council would put £50 million into refurb when it looked like Murrayfield was in with a shout. I do not know how much truth there is in that though.

They were distancing themselves from that story last week saying they will help however they can, but money for redevelopment is not a option.

11 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

That is "what" in a nutshell exactly ?

Your points re money needed elsewhere are perfectly valid but that was not the decision that needed to be made.

Hampden, because it's always been. I have little hope for football in Scotland  moving forward any time soon.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Cost 60 million Euros.  The investigation might be a short one!

Emirates are paying Arsenal £200 million over the next 6 years or something for shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights. 

I’m not suggesting the SFA could get anywhere near that but I’m sure Aviva paid €40 million over 8 years for the naming rights to Lansdowne Road and the deal was extended. That’s about the same as £40 million these days.

We haven’t qualified for anything for years and Hampden isn’t used for rugby as well as football so maybe we couldn’t get as good a deal as the Irish one but we do have an ace up our sleeve - Hampden is going to be used in Euro 2020 and the stadium is going to potentially be mentioned in a good percentage of European households during 4 matches in two years time. That’s got to be worth something to somebody. 

7 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Hopefully, that model looks like the ideal solution to the issues we have at Hampden.

What I would like to see is the ends be done in two tiers whereby for games that look like having a reduced attendance, we can just close off the top tiers which will not make the place seem so empty.

Like Werder Bremen did?

http://www.stadiumguide.com/weserstadion/

40 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Like Werder Bremen did?

http://www.stadiumguide.com/weserstadion/

As mentioned before a problem with getting rid of the curved ends at Hampden would be the potential big loss in capacity. I'd be interested to see what plans could be drawn up to fit within the available footprint of the stadium.

Hopefully these words will come back to haunt me, but I don't believe for a second that any significant development of Hampden will ever happen. It had to take an outside source to make up the couple million difference in the SFA getting the place off of QP, getting a fresh lick of paint will be about the limit

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Hopefully these words will come back to haunt me, but I don't believe for a second that any significant development of Hampden will ever happen. It had to take an outside source to make up the couple million difference in the SFA getting the place off of QP, getting a fresh lick of paint will be about the limit

The SFA were never going to upgrade Hampden further while renting. It’s a whole new ball game now and it’s certain to be redeveloped.

29 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

With who's money? 

Plenty of ways to raise money. Qualifying for tournaments being the most obvious. Increased commercial use of Hampden being another and all monies would now go to the SFA.

Hopefully not in the way the visionary SRU got themselves into a debt that almost bankrupted themselves when Murrayfield was upgraded.

Most obvious would be naming rights. SRU got £20m for Murrayfield and no cunt really cares about Rugby in Scotland, so Hampden should be looking for as much, if not more.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of ways to raise money. Qualifying for tournaments being the most obvious. Increased commercial use of Hampden being another and all monies would now go to the SFA.

Hopefully not in the way the visionary SRU got themselves into a debt that almost bankrupted themselves when Murrayfield was upgraded.

Most obvious would be naming rights. SRU got £20m for Murrayfield and no cunt really cares about Rugby in Scotland, so Hampden should be looking for as much, if not more.

Murrayfield is sold out for Rugby matches regularly, far more regularly than Hampden is for football

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

but we do have an ace up our sleeve - Hampden is going to be used in Euro 2020 and the stadium is going to potentially be mentioned in a good percentage of European households during 4 matches in two years time. That’s got to be worth something to somebody. 

I doubt they’d be allowed to use that name for the tournament. As it wouldn’t be an official UEFA sponsor.

I think selling naming rights is a great idea though.

14 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I doubt they’d be allowed to use that name for the tournament. As it wouldn’t be an official UEFA sponsor.

I think selling naming rights is a great idea though.

Allianz Arena and Aviv Stadium are holding Euro 2020 matches

Heard a marketing guru on radio, in connection with naming the new white hart lane, saying that he thought it unlikely the new stadium would have a sponsors name. He reckoned that, mainly due to the way data is now, marketing is far more targeted and simply using your product in a stadium name is an old fashioned blunderbuss approach and they get far more value out of their advertising spend in other ways... obviously it could just be that Levy is struggling to seal the deal!

1 hour ago, dipped flake said:

Murrayfield is sold out for Rugby matches regularly, far more regularly than Hampden is for football

How many times a year? 4 or 5? Woopee fucking do. Hampden was full for, Celtic Rangers, Scotland-England, Scotland-Slovakia, Celtic-Motherwell last year for starters. It also held Semi Finals with 40,000+ there last year whilst Murrayfield was sitting empty.

No cunt cares about Rugby the other 360 days of the year up here except 6 nations.  Edinburgh Rugby play in front of smaller crowds than Pollok gets for a big Scottish Cup tie!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Will they call them that for the tournament though? That’s what I was meaning. Or will it be Dublin stadium/Landsdowne road or Munich arena.

Ahhh, out of interest I just looked and actually you are right, Aviv is down as "Dublin Stadium" and Allianz as "football arena Munich", just seems to be everyone else giving them their Sunday name.