The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Cost 60 million Euros.  The investigation might be a short one!

There was a story going around a few months ago that the now SNP run Glasgow Council would put £50 million into refurb when it looked like Murrayfield was in with a shout. I do not know how much truth there is in that though.

12 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Possibly, but we should be looking into avenues as to how to fund it.

Whether this is in the form of more debentures, naming rights asking the government/council for money or a combination of all of them.

Is the south stand at Hampden still sponsored by BT ?

Aye. Happy with that decision but as always we'll see what developments are actually made. The new turnstiles and floodlights are being made because they have to for the Euro 2020 matches. Not knowing much about construction, I'm not sure what's involved in bringing in the East & West stands or how long that would take but that seems to be a lot of folk's issue - I sit in the North Stand so don't have this problem.  

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s hardly embarrassing. 

Moving to Murrayfield would just be swapping one not fit for purpose stadium for another with no opportunity to redevelop the new one as they wouldn’t own it. That would have been shortsighted. As would have renting Hampden for another 20 years.

Major redevelopment is likely to be years away but at least the chance is there now.

Throwing more good money at Hampden when we don't need the stadium is short sighted madness.

That money is badly needed across other areas of the game as anyone can see.

Just now, ShedTA said:

BT sponsor murrayfield. They are slightly more visionary than the sfa.

Go and watch Rugby then.

BT Sponsored the Main Stand at Hampden for years. If Scottish Rugby were that visionary they wouldn't be playing club games to 2 men and a dog and have 2 professional club sides in a country of 5m.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fuck knows how you can deduce that from me saying I'm glad we've stayed at Hampden.

Fuck knows how you can deduce that i am easily embarrassed by my response to that sfa decision. It actually takes a fair bit to embarrass me but the sfa have managed it. F@cking laughable! 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Go and watch Rugby then.

BT Sponsored the Main Stand at Hampden for years. If Scottish Rugby were that visionary they wouldn't be playing club games to 2 men and a dog and have 2 professional club sides in a country of 5m.

I do. Fucked if I can be arsed going to Hampden any more. It's a shite hole.

The national rugby team are a hell of a lot more entertaining than the football side just now. But you probably don't know that. Typical blinkered football fan.

42 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

The £19m figure that was quoted was just the liability for the debentures that were given out during the South Stand renovation.

The SFA won't have to pay any of that out unless they decide to sell Hampden and move elsewhere, which is clearly not likely to happen now.

This is what happens when you don’t read things properly. Although in my defence I do think it was originally wrongly reported. That’s not so bad then. 

I would imagine they would need to make some provision for that money though in case something happens. Some sort of insurance would likely cover it though I suppose. 

16 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Not really - it's taken decades of these dinosaurs reducing the national game to this level to do it. 

You are obviously proud of them in every way.

It really has sweet FA (pardon the pun) to do with the SFA.

This is about what the fans want. The fans want a national home for the FOOTBALL team not as lodgers to the home of rugby. Hampden is seen as the home of Scottish football. And cut the crap about it being a shite hole. It is a Grade A venue hence why UEFA has chosen it to be a venue at the revamped Euro Championships. Shite holes do not get bestowed honours like that. Also it has staged Champions League and Europa League Finals again blowing your shite hole theory out of the water. Also staged the Commonwealth Games blowing you out again. Are you a wind sock? Fans would like a change to bring the stands closer to the pitch and that looks like it may happen. If you hate the ground that much then nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to attend matches there.

18 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

I do. Fucked if I can be arsed going to Hampden any more. It's a shite hole.

The national rugby team are a hell of a lot more entertaining than the football side just now. But you probably don't know that. Typical blinkered football fan.

you and me both

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It really has sweet FA (pardon the pun) to do with the SFA.

This is about what the fans want. The fans want a national home for the FOOTBALL team not as lodgers to the home of rugby. Hampden is seen as the home of Scottish football. And cut the crap about it being a shite hole. It is a Grade A venue hence why UEFA has chosen it to be a venue at the revamped Euro Championships. Shite holes do not get bestowed honours like that. Also it has staged Champions League and Europa League Finals again blowing your shite hole theory out of the water. Also staged the Commonwealth Games blowing you out again. Are you a wind sock? Fans would like a change to bring the stands closer to the pitch and that looks like it may happen. If you hate the ground that much then nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to attend matches there.

Nothing to do with the sfa? Sorry who the fuck made the decision? And it's pretty much fuck all to do with what the fans want you delusional half wit, its all about money.

It's a shit stadium and most fans know that.

And correct noones forcing me to go, so I won't, easy. 

27 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Throwing more good money at Hampden when we don't need the stadium is short sighted madness.

That money is badly needed across other areas of the game as anyone can see.

I doubt the SFA will be throwing money at anything. They’re only paying half of the money for the stadium as it is. 

They’ll have be begging bowl out looking for funding or corporate sponsorship from any company or Scottish government person that will listen. 

Oh and where the fuck is the money coming from for a stadium redevelopment? Would love to see those plans Craig. More delusional pish. 

All they can afford is half baked improvements whicj still wont bring it close to at least 3 other Scottish stadiums. But you crack on with your grade a venue pish.

Just now, ShedTA said:

Nothing to do with the sfa? Sorry who the fuck made the decision? And it's pretty much fuck all to do with what the fans want you delusional half wit, its all about money.

It's a shit stadium and most fans know that.

And correct noones forcing me to go, so I won't, easy. 

The SFA made the decision that the majority of fans wanted. Shame you cannot accept that. And sorry but if it was about money the cheap option would have been to move to Murrayfield.

Sorry but UEFA says it is far from a shit stadium as do the Commonwealth committee and dozens of pop stars and bands who have readily used it. Fans would like changes to it - correct. That could not happen as it was not under their ownership but that has changed now.

Pretty sad you choose not to support your country because you do not like a stadium.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The SFA made the decision that the majority of fans wanted. Shame you cannot accept that. And sorry but if it was about money the cheap option would have been to move to Murrayfield.

Sorry but UEFA says it is far from a shit stadium as do the Commonwealth committee and dozens of pop stars and bands who have readily used it. Fans would like changes to it - correct. That could not happen as it was not under their ownership but that has changed now.

Pretty sad you choose not to support your country because you do not like a stadium.

I thought polls were your big thing craig. If you have seen any of the polls on the stadium issue they were pretty close with the supporters and certainly not a big majority anywhere. I think moving the games around got the biggest votes - the sfa really took that into account!! 🤣

It was about money in the end - the sfa have just stated it was the intervention of money from lord haughey which swung it - listen to the news if you don't believe me.

I will support my country Craig at football and rugby but I refuse to support the sfa in their current guise. Or trek through to the west coast every game to a shit stadium so they never have to leave the safe confines of Glasgow.

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

I thought polls were your big thing craig. If you have seen any of the polls on the stadium issue they were pretty close with the supporters and certainly not a big majority anywhere. I think moving the games around got the biggest votes - the sfa really took that into account!! 🤣

It was about money in the end - the sfa have just stated it was the intervention of money from lord haughey which swung it - listen to the news if you don't believe me.

I will support my country Craig at football and rugby but I refuse to support the sfa in their current guise. Or trek through to the west coast every game to a shit stadium so they never have to leave the safe confines of Glasgow.

Fair enough. Those are your views and you are entitled to them.

Personally, for me, I support my country Scotland and do not give a second thought to the numbskulls at the SFA. I go to matches aching for Scotland to win again without a thought about the SFA. In every walk of life your money is going somewhere that you'd rather it didn't but that is the way things are and how they will always be until we get to a point like in the fictional futuresque world of Star Trek.

I'll go to Hampden and do it to support my country not in anyway to support the SFA. Scotland is the be all and the SFA mean nothing to me.

19 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Oh and where the fuck is the money coming from for a stadium redevelopment? Would love to see those plans Craig. More delusional pish. 

All they can afford is half baked improvements whicj still wont bring it close to at least 3 other Scottish stadiums. But you crack on with your grade a venue pish.

Calm down petal..

Hampden is the home of Scottish football and I am delighted it will remain so. Going to Murrayfiled would just be throwing money away - its that simple.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough. Those are your views and you are entitled to them.

Personally, for me, I support my country Scotland and do not give a second thought to the numbskulls at the SFA. I go to matches aching for Scotland to win again without a thought about the SFA. In every walk of life your money is going somewhere that you'd rather it didn't but that is the way things are and how they will always be until we get to a point like in the fictional futuresque world of Star Trek.

I'll go to Hampden and do it to support my country not in anyway to support the SFA. Scotland is the be all and the SFA mean nothing to me.

Fair enough and you are entitled to.