The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s a difficult one. The SFA would probably be scared to schedule a qualifier for Easter Road or wherever in case the demand is there for 25,000 tickets. £150,000 in ticket sales is a lot to potentially turn down, especially if Hibs are going to get a cut of the gate money. 

I’m sure Aberdeen’s new stadium will meet the requirements but I think that’s only going to hold 20,000 as well. A 30,000 capacity ground would be ideal up there.  

We certainly can’t play qualifiers at Rugby Park unless they get rid of their plastic pitch. Not sure if it has other issues. 

You sure the pitch is a reason? We played on a plastic last year in Vilnius.

4 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

i get the potential for some fans to miss out.  But i'm at the point I think the benefit to the team and the matchday experience for those there would be far better.  It would create a feel good atmosphere.  I'd lose the 150k now for that.  

You maybe would but I guarantee you the SFA wouldn’t. They’ll probably be up to their man tits in debt for years after they buy Hampden and won’t want to lose a single penny. 

Qualifiers will all be played at Hampden now I think with the odd friendly, and possibly the odd Nations League match played elsewhere, depending on the opposition, day of the week etc. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You sure the pitch is a reason? We played on a plastic last year in Vilnius.

So we did. It wasn’t one of the newer hybrid ones either I don’t think. 

Can’t be against the rules then but it should be. 

Not sure what the issue could be then. Changing rooms too small or something?

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

So we did. It wasn’t one of the newer hybrid ones either I don’t think. 

Can’t be against the rules then but it should be. 

Not sure what the issue could be then. Changing rooms too small or something?

Away changing room might be but it must be a new rule as we've hosted WC games at RP with the same changing rooms. Home dressing room is huge.

Related image

If anything the facilities are better now than they were in 1997 against Estonia (Hotel/New hospitality suites etc)

This whole charade was the SFA trying to squeeze Queens Park. International games were never going to Murrayfield.

Why would Scotland need a 67k stadium anyway? They sold fewer tickets for the two games this weekend combined than the rugby team have sold for a friendly against Fiji ffs. 

They will make 1.5 million Euros if we top the Nations League table.

The prize money to be distributed was announced in March 2018.[20] A total of €76.25 million in solidarity and bonus fees will be distributed to the 55 participating national teams.

The solidarity fees per team are scaled by league:

• League A: €1,500,000
  • League B: €1,000,000
  • League 😄 €750,000
  • League 😧 €500,000

In addition, the group winners of each league will receive the following bonus fees:

• League A group winners: €1,500,000
  • League B group winners: €1,000,000
  • League C group winners: €750,000
  • League D group winners: €500,000

The four group winners of League A, which will participate in the Nations League Finals, will also receive the following bonus fees based on performance:

• Winners: €4,500,000
  • Runners-up: €3,500,000
  • Third place: €2,500,000
  • Fourth place: €1,500,000

This means that the maximum amount of solidarity and bonus fees is €7.5 million for a team from League A, €2 million for a team from League B, €1.5 million for a team from League C, and €1 million for a team from League D.

Edited by magicTs

19 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Away changing room might be but it must be a new rule as we've hosted WC games at RP with the same changing rooms. Home dressing room is huge.

Related image

If anything the facilities are better now than they were in 1997 against Estonia (Hotel/New hospitality suites etc)

Aye nothing wrong with that dressing room. 

The person that said Rugby Park wasn’t suitable could have been mistaken I suppose. 

It shouldn’t matter anyway as Rugby Park shouldn’t be big enough to hold a competitive Scotland game. Sadly it would have been last night. 

32 minutes ago, adamntg said:

The best bit is we managed to get the rugger buggers to fork out top dollar for feasibility studies into something that was never gonna happen.  Get it up ye, posh twats!

Aye that'll be right. SRU never pays top dollar for anything. 

1 minute ago, ShedTA said:

Predictably embarrassing decision from an embarrassing organisation to stick with an embarrassment of a national stadium. How f@cking embarrassing.

It’s hardly embarrassing. 

Moving to Murrayfield would just be swapping one not fit for purpose stadium for another with no opportunity to redevelop the new one as they wouldn’t own it. That would have been shortsighted. As would have renting Hampden for another 20 years.

Major redevelopment is likely to be years away but at least the chance is there now.

I am from Edinburgh and I recognise this as the right decision. Hampden is the spiritual home of Scottish football and it should remain so and glad it is. When they get around to doing work on the stadium though in no way should they reduce the capacity. Hopefully, it can be increased to around 60,000. We have had sell-outs in the past with the 51,000 we have now and as it will hold Cup Finals it would be mad to reduce it to 35,000 as some are suggesting.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am from Edinburgh and I recognise this as the right decision. Hampden is the spiritual home of Scottish football and it should remain so and glad it is. When they get around to doing work on the stadium though in no way should they reduce the capacity. Hopefully, it can be increased to around 60,000. We have had sell-outs in the past with the 51,000 we have now and as it will hold Cup Finals it would be mad to reduce it to 35,000 as some are suggesting.

Aye, no chance the capacity should be reduced.

Hampden’s a long way from perfect, but there appears to be a willingness to look at improving it. Redeveloping the east and west stands like the Stuttgart example seems ideal.

Hopefully they actually follow this through!

As much as 20,000 in Hampden is pretty bad, by the time you take into account segregation etc. You couldn’t have had that crowd anywhere else.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Thankfully, Ian Maxwell has already ruled out a reduced capacity, pretty much for the reasons that you've noted above.

9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Hampden’s a long way from perfect, but there appears to be a willingness to look at improving it. Redeveloping the east and west stands like the Stuttgart example seems ideal.

Hopefully they actually follow this through!

As much as 20,000 in Hampden is pretty bad, by the time you take into account segregation etc. You couldn’t have had that crowd anywhere else.

Hopefully, that model looks like the ideal solution to the issues we have at Hampden.

What I would like to see is the ends be done in two tiers whereby for games that look like having a reduced attendance, we can just close off the top tiers which will not make the place seem so empty.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Unlikely. 

Its costing the SFA £19 million in total to buy it apparently so they won’t have much cash for redevelopment I wouldn’t think. 

The £19m figure that was quoted was just the liability for the debentures that were given out during the South Stand renovation.

The SFA won't have to pay any of that out unless they decide to sell Hampden and move elsewhere, which is clearly not likely to happen now.

1 hour ago, Lion Rampant said:

Interesting that the SFA are saying that they will look at what Stuttgart have done to their stadium. Their original set up was similar to Hampden and they brought both ends in as far as i'm aware.

Hopefully this is properly looked at and costs investigated.

Cost 60 million Euros.  The investigation might be a short one!

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Cost 60 million Euros.  The investigation might be a short one!

Possibly, but we should be looking into avenues as to how to fund it.

Whether this is in the form of more debentures, naming rights, asking the government/council for money or a combination of all of them.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll see anything happen with this unless we bid for WC 2030 with England and are successful.