The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Have you ever been to Murrayfield for a football game? i have and sat behind goals.  It's pish.

As for half truths. You've just said Belgium are the best team in the world?! You do know there's a competition we've just had called the world cup and they came 3rd?

Friday was a friendly  Was £25-35 a ticket. I'm surprised as many went. 

Last friendly in East Coast got less tban 15k if i remember correctly. 

How can we sell hampden btw when we don't own jt? As for access....having been to various gigs at Murrayfield with 67k there it's certainly no better than Hampden. Can only imagine how it would be for a football game at capacity. 

I could understand if it was a massive upgrade on hampden but it's not. Massive gaps between stands on pitch on 3 sides too which makes sight befind goals in lower tiers just ad bad as hampden. 

Nail on head there mate. Couldn't agree more.

On 9/10/2018 at 12:03 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

I could understand if it was a massive upgrade on hampden but it's not. Massive gaps between stands on pitch on 3 sides too which makes sight befind goals in lower tiers just ad bad as hampden. 

absolutely correct.  Guessing many have never actually been to Murrayfield.

It's not a football stadium.

£5m deal agreed, with Willie Haughey pledging £2.5m towards that costs, with the deal to happen when the SFA lease in 2020 comes to a end.

Queens Park to move into Lesser Hampden.

McRea talking about improve access, transport links and the overall experience. 

Edited by wanderer

4 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

absolutely correct.  Guessing many have never actually been to Murrayfield.

It's not a football stadium.

I was there last season for the Killie game. The view from the lower tier behind the goals was 100% worse than my view last night from the West.

The distance from stand-goal line actually looks bigger.

Related image

Image result for murrayfield football

Image result for murrayfield football

Image result for murrayfield running track

7 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I want Hampden for the tradition but would love to see the sides brought in.

Is that likely though?  

Unlikely. 

Its costing the SFA £19 million in total to buy it apparently so they won’t have much cash for redevelopment I wouldn’t think. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Unlikely. 

Its costing the SFA £19 million in total to buy it apparently so they won’t have much cash for redevelopment I wouldn’t think. 

Aye, it's a lot of money and see the reasoning but seems a bit of a shame.  We always seem to have to settle for sub optimal.

This is the national team.  Why can't corporate industry and SFA sort out an improved stadium?

I think i am for "round the grounds" for the qualifiers we will get 20k to.  Apparantly pittodrie, Tynecastle, Rugby park don't meet standard though.  Bizarre when  you think of the dumps we've been to.  Something wrong with standards if they're not meeting them. 

Pleasing to hear that they are looking to do more to improve transport links, which is obviously an issue for many fans and should be fairly easy to deal with.

I'm sure there was a lot done for events during the Olympics and the Commonwealth games to get people away from the stadium quickly, but none of that is in place for Scotland games. Even having a number of busses that either free or heavily subsidised that could use the existing bus lanes to get back into the city quickly would be a massive improvement.

6 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Aye, it's a lot of money and see the reasoning but seems a bit of a shame.  We always seem to have to settle for sub optimal.

This is the national team.  Why can't corporate industry and SFA sort out an improved stadium?

I think i am for "round the grounds" for the qualifiers we will get 20k to.  Apparantly pittodrie, Tynecastle, Rugby park don't meet standard though.  Bizarre when  you think of the dumps we've been to.  Something wrong with standards if they're not meeting them. 

Only reason I can think RP doesn't meet the standard is due to the pitch? Which is coming up anyway next summer.

i suppose it's a self fulfilling prophecy but one of the reason i didn't go to Belgium and Albania was the sparse crowd at Hampden.  It only works as a stadium when it's at least three quarter full.

i hope there is a "round the grounds" part to this decision.  To keep playing all games at Hampden would be a mistake as well, in my view.  Id' rather give some money to pittodrie and Tynecastle and keep as is than spend loads of money on transport links.  I don't think it's as bad as people make out.

3 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

It’s a difficult one. The SFA would probably be scared to schedule a qualifier for Easter Road or wherever in case the demand is there for 25,000 tickets. £150,000 in ticket sales is a lot to potentially turn down, especially if Hibs are going to get a cut of the gate money. 

I’m sure Aberdeen’s new stadium will meet the requirements but I think that’s only going to hold 20,000 as well. A 30,000 capacity ground would be ideal up there.  

We certainly can’t play qualifiers at Rugby Park unless they get rid of their plastic pitch. Not sure if it has other issues. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s a difficult one. The SFA would probably be scared to schedule a qualifier for Easter Road or wherever in case the demand is there for 25,000 tickets. £150,000 in ticket sales is a lot to potentially turn down, especially if Hibs are going to get a cut of the gate money. 

I’m sure Aberdeen’s new stadium will meet the requirements but I think that’s only going to hold 20,000 as well. A 30,000 capacity ground would be ideal up there.  

We certainly can’t play qualifiers at Rugby Park unless they get rid of their plastic pitch. Not sure if it has other issues. 

i get the potential for some fans to miss out.  But i'm at the point I think the benefit to the team and the matchday experience for those there would be far better.  It would create a feel good atmosphere.  I'd lose the 150k now for that.  

Edited by PapofGlencoe