The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

So would have both sets of fans effectively heading in the same direction, just having one walking that bit further to get to Waverley, just to come back on themselves.

Not stopping for square go's, but just happens that two sets of supporters buses happen to pull in at same time for a pee stop or something.

Plus these would be SPT issues, and then not playing ball is one of the issues that everyone likes to stick the boot into Hampden about.

Do people only pee when the game is in Edinburgh? Claiming there would be riots is just hysterical nonsense. 

Rangers and Celtic buses meeting at service stations along the way to a stadium would hardly be a new thing.  If they are in cup finals/semis at Hampden then they will be travelling from the length and breadth of the Country anyway.  Fans of both sides are far from exclusively based in Glasgow.

6 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I hope we stay at Hampden for competitive matches, spreading friendly matches around the country as we do now - Murrayfield really doesn't, to me, offer enough of an improvement over Hampden to warrant such a move, especially if Hampden could be redeveloped. The fact that Murrayfield wasn't used when Hampden was unavailable due to the Commonwealth Games makes me think that Murrayfield is just a stalking horse to get Queen's Park to sell up. 

Murrayfield as an option for friendly matches could be interesting though - especially if we have games of the stature of our upcoming friendlies. Depending on the cost of rent, you'd make the same amount of money from tickets charging £6 at Murrayfield as you would charging £20 at Easter Road or Tynecastle (assuming the stadia were sold out). Using Murrayfield for finals/semi-finals involving the Edinburgh clubs, particularly Edinburgh derbies, is something that should seriously be looked at too. There's little point in making both sets of fans travel to Glasgow when there's a perfectly good stadium in Edinburgh that could host the fixture. There reverse being true for Old Firm games if Murrayfield is selected ahead of Hampden.

If the sale of Hampden to the SFA (if it goes through) enables the redevelopment of the stadium, then using Murrayfield as the main stadium during this would be a good option.

What ever choice is made, it should be made in the long term interests of Scottish football - as opposed to any short term benefits. With the decision being made by the SFA, I doubt that would be the case though.

Unless we were playing England there is absolutely no way we would get anywhere near selling out Murrayfield for a friendly. 

13 minutes ago, Kirk said:

When do we find out? Will be gutted if we leave Hampden

By most accounts, no decision will be announced today, with reports its just the SFA board meeting to discuss today, with their decisions announced in coming days.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

By most accounts, no decision will be announced today, with reports its just the SFA board meeting to discuss today, with their decisions announced in coming days.

Aye they fair like to drag things out

I've still not decided which of the two options I prefer but the "fear" of the old firm playing In Edinburgh is a ludicrous reason not to move there. 

Awbody else can play there, let them play on Glasgow Green. 

If Scottish fitba is to improve we have to stop pandering to those clubs 

The shambles rumbles on for at least another week. It’s hardly a surprise though. 

What other information do the SFA need? 

In fairness it is a huge decision but if they don’t have all the relevant required information by now then they never will.

As much as I hate Hampden in its current condition, surely it is a no brained to purchase the stadium from Queens Park. I've heard figures quoted that Queens want 6 million and the SFA want to pay closer to 2 million so even say they meet in the middle at 4 million. That is surely a steal. Everyone knows upgrades are needed, but these can then be done over the next 5 years and I am sure Scotland fans will be happy with this as long as they see the upgrades progressing over that time. We have put up with it this long so I'm sure we can put up for it a bit longer knowing that now the stadium is in the hands of the SFA that every penny will at least be going back into Scottish Football. Why the SFA wouldn't buy the stadium and pay rent on another stadium I can't get my head around. Why rent a home when you can buy one

10 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

As much as I hate Hampden in its current condition, surely it is a no brained to purchase the stadium from Queens Park. I've heard figures quoted that Queens want 6 million and the SFA want to pay closer to 2 million so even say they meet in the middle at 4 million. That is surely a steal. Everyone knows upgrades are needed, but these can then be done over the next 5 years and I am sure Scotland fans will be happy with this as long as they see the upgrades progressing over that time. We have put up with it this long so I'm sure we can put up for it a bit longer knowing that now the stadium is in the hands of the SFA that every penny will at least be going back into Scottish Football. Why the SFA wouldn't buy the stadium and pay rent on another stadium I can't get my head around. Why rent a home when you can buy one

What upgrades are you suggesting?

It’s unthinkable not being at Hampden. I would also like to retain the bowl if at all possible. I’m still smarting over the SFA selling the iconic deep goal frame (that was in the museum) to Saint Etienne. The very one Dalglish blasted a goal into the top corner with his left foot against Spain (not to mention a curler from Big Eck on another occasion) and countless other moments over a hundred years in one of the most historic stadiums in world football. 

24 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s unthinkable not being at Hampden. I would also like to retain the bowl if at all possible. I’m still smarting over the SFA selling the iconic deep goal frame (that was in the museum) to Saint Etienne. The very one Dalglish blasted a goal into the top corner with his left foot against Spain (not to mention a curler from Big Eck on another occasion) and countless other moments over a hundred years in one of the most historic stadiums in world football. 

I’m not as sentimental as you but I agree we should stay at Hampden. I wouldn’t mind a full refurb to make it into a mini Wembley type stadium but there’s no way anyone will fund that. I’m sure something can be done to steepen the stands and bring them closer to the pitch whilst maintaining the bowl shape. Whether anything like that happens is anyone’s guess.

As others have said previously, wanting to move to Murrayfield because of the view from behind the goals is ridiculous. Particularly since it’s not much better at Murrayfield. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not as sentimental as you but I agree we should stay at Hampden. I wouldn’t mind a full refurb to make it into a mini Wembley type stadium but there’s no way anyone will fund that. I’m sure something can be done to steepen the stands and bring them closer to the pitch whilst maintaining the bowl shape. Whether anything like that happens is anyone’s guess.

As others have said previously, wanting to move to Murrayfield because of the view from behind the goals is ridiculous. Particularly since it’s not much better at Murrayfield. 

If I was forced to make a decision, it would be a refurbished hampden with steeper stands closer to the pitch. One stadium I wouldn't use as a model is wembley, its pish for fitba. Great for boxing events and concerts but its a crap fitba stadium.

If the choice is hampden in its current state or Murrayfield, I would chose Murrayfield just because I prefer where murrayfield is and the set up in terms of fan zone is great. 

It was the hot topic on sportsound, each of the panel wanted to stay at hampden which is no real surprise. They made some good points about the scheduling being a problem for atmosphere. Saturday afternoon games are often rocking at hampden regardless of opposition.  Lithuania was used as an example, I remember a saturday afternoon match against Lithuania, we won 2-0, I'm sure Darren Fletcher scored but play Lithuania on a tuesday night and its shite. 

I've heard a ffew people mention tynecastle, easter road and pittodrie for these lesser qualifiers, is that even possible? Would these grounds cover the amount of supporters club members who are guaranteed a ticket or have a season ticket. this option doesn't seem feasible to me. 

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I've heard a ffew people mention tynecastle, easter road and pittodrie for these lesser qualifiers, is that even possible? Would these grounds cover the amount of supporters club members who are guaranteed a ticket or have a season ticket. this option doesn't seem feasible to me. 

No, this option isn't feasible which is why the SFA have discounted it already.

I generally find that the people talking about this as an opton have no clue about the Supporter's Club and the guarantees that the members have with regards to home tickets.