The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't really think it is.  The view behind the goals is utter pish.

Whatever anyone's thoughts on the suitability of Hampden from a spectator's point of view, to offer Murrayfield as a solution to this is bizarre.

It comes with more or less the same issues that Hampden has with regards to the distance from the field at each end. To leave Hampden for Murrayfield on the basis that the former gives poor sightlines would just be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

This is before we even get to the issue of rent money being paid to the SRU which would see money leaving football and going to rugby.

5 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

This is before we even get to the issue of rent money being paid to the SRU which would see money leaving football and going to rugby.

Plus SRU will look out for their own interest first, so events like Edinburgh Rugby matches (granted they are moving into a new Ikea/Meccano home being built on the land outside Murrayfield) and cup things like district and schools etc would take preference for them over things like Scottish Cup finals and Scotland games.

Murrayfield is only a good option if SFA are coming on as equal partners and get the stadium for the days they want, anything else and its a case of Scottish Cup finals have to be moved/slotted elsewhere as SRU need Murrayfield for Ardrossan Accies v Haddington for the BT Bowl.

3 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Whatever anyone's thoughts on the suitability of Hampden from a spectator's point of view, to offer Murrayfield as a solution to this is bizarre.

It comes with more or less the same issues that Hampden has with regards to the distance from the field at each end. To leave Hampden for Murrayfield on the basis that the former gives poor sightlines would just be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Do you really think the SFA give a shit about the view from behind the goals?

I doubt the spectator experience will even be given a second thought throughout this whole debacle. 

The SFA want to pay far less per year than they have been paying for Hampden or want to own it outright. They have been using Murrayfield as a bargaining chip to try and get the best deal possible to stay at Hampden. They do not want to leave Hampden and I strongly doubt they will. 

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Do you really think the SFA give a shit about the view from behind the goals?

I doubt the spectator experience will even be given a second thought throughout this whole debacle. 

The SFA want to pay far less per year than they have been paying for Hampden or want to own it outright. They have been using Murrayfield as a bargaining chip to try and get the best deal possible to stay at Hampden. They do not want to leave Hampden and I strongly doubt they will. 

I never said they did. My post was more directed at the fans who use poor sightlines as a reason to ditch Hampden but at the same time offer Murrayfield as the alternative. 

The agree with the idea they've been using Murrayfield as a stick to beat Queens Park with. I expect that they will stay at Hampden. 

1 minute ago, Lion Rampant said:

I never said they did. My post was more directed at the fans who use poor sightlines as a reason to ditch Hampden but at the same time offer Murrayfield as the alternative. 

The agree with the idea they've been using Murrayfield as a stick to beat Queens Park with. I expect that they will stay at Hampden. 

Fair enough.

Funny thing is most people who complain about the view from directly behind the goals at Hampden don’t need to sit there. 

The view from the seats round the corner flag areas in the east and west stands aren’t actually that bad as long as you’re not right down the front. It’s not hard to get the seat of your choice these days if you buy early. 

I have no problem with it being Murrayfield, I don’t believe that will happen but I’d have no issue with it. Hampden definitely needs some improvements, if that happens, happy days.

One of the big problems discussed on sportsound last night was policing a high profile match in Edinburgh. The main focus was a potential OF match at murrayfield. I’ve no idea if that would work or not. 

What would happen to hampden if for some bizarre reason the SFA did move to Murrayfield?

I hope we stay at Hampden for competitive matches, spreading friendly matches around the country as we do now - Murrayfield really doesn't, to me, offer enough of an improvement over Hampden to warrant such a move, especially if Hampden could be redeveloped. The fact that Murrayfield wasn't used when Hampden was unavailable due to the Commonwealth Games makes me think that Murrayfield is just a stalking horse to get Queen's Park to sell up. 

Murrayfield as an option for friendly matches could be interesting though - especially if we have games of the stature of our upcoming friendlies. Depending on the cost of rent, you'd make the same amount of money from tickets charging £6 at Murrayfield as you would charging £20 at Easter Road or Tynecastle (assuming the stadia were sold out). Using Murrayfield for finals/semi-finals involving the Edinburgh clubs, particularly Edinburgh derbies, is something that should seriously be looked at too. There's little point in making both sets of fans travel to Glasgow when there's a perfectly good stadium in Edinburgh that could host the fixture. There reverse being true for Old Firm games if Murrayfield is selected ahead of Hampden.

If the sale of Hampden to the SFA (if it goes through) enables the redevelopment of the stadium, then using Murrayfield as the main stadium during this would be a good option.

What ever choice is made, it should be made in the long term interests of Scottish football - as opposed to any short term benefits. With the decision being made by the SFA, I doubt that would be the case though.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

One of the big problems discussed on sportsound last night was policing a high profile match in Edinburgh. The main focus was a potential OF match at murrayfield. I’ve no idea if that would work or not. 

That would be fucking hilarious. Trains would literally be a riot!

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It wouldn't happen that often but I still can't see the SFA, SPFL or Police Scotland being happy with an OF match outside Glasgow

Would like to think they could figure it out. Must happen annually in England whenever teams from the north are travelling to Wembley. Celtic fans fae queen street, rangers fans fae central. Easy enough? If they canna behave chuck them out the competitions til they learn. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They wouldn't really. One set of fans would leave from Queen Street and the other from central. They both leave from central to Hampden without any issue so can't see why it would be any different going to Edinburgh.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

It wouldn't happen that often but I still can't see the SFA, SPFL or Police Scotland being happy with an OF match outside Glasgow

According to the guy from Edinburgh cooncil on the radio this morning, such scenarios have been modelled and approved by the relevant authorities.

1 minute ago, Scotland Ever More said:

They wouldn't really. One set of fans would leave from Queen Street and the other from central. They both leave from central to Hampden without any issue so can't see why it would be any different going to Edinburgh.

Because they would all get off, and back on, at Haymarket (Waverley does not count as all trains west head back through Haymarket as it is anyway).

Plus you would need a heavy police presence at places like Harthill Services to stop buses pulling in at a potential hot spot for trouble.

5 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

What ever choice is made, it should be made in the long term interests of Scottish football - as opposed to any short term benefits. With the decision being made by the SFA, I doubt that would be the case though.

Scotland as a Country and psyche is drenched in short termism shitbaggery and has been, probably, since the end of WW2.  There will be no outcome other than the short term one with the minimal financial benefit.  Hampden will win, they'll pay less and that'll be that for a few years.

Playing the biggest games at Celtic Park with the other games at Ibrox, Tynecastle, Easter Road and Aberdeen would be my preference.  Then we could get to work bulldozing Hampden and entirely redesigning the Stadium and surrounding areas, improving the infrastructure, the efficiency of it of how the infrastructure works so it benefits everybody and giving us the best possible National Stadium.  Unfortunately that would require long term planning and, more importantly, a fair chunk of cash.

51 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Because they would all get off, and back on, at Haymarket (Waverley does not count as all trains west head back through Haymarket as it is anyway).

Plus you would need a heavy police presence at places like Harthill Services to stop buses pulling in at a potential hot spot for trouble.

One set of fans would be directed to Waverley, the other to Haymarket, and the one from Waverley obviously would be told not to stop at Haymarket. Simple stuff.

Buses don't stop for square gos on the way to Hampden from Edinburgh or anywhere else. Why all of a sudden would they start now?

14 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

One set of fans would be directed to Waverley, the other to Haymarket, and the one from Waverley obviously would be told not to stop at Haymarket. Simple stuff.

So which set of fans are you going to lumber with the three mile walk from Waverley to Murrayfield ?

Edited by Shotts56

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

And how would they be kept apart in Edinburgh when they need to get off? Make one set get off at Waveley?

36 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Buses don't stop for square gos on the way to Hampden from Edinburgh or anywhere else. Why all of a sudden would they start now?

So would have both sets of fans effectively heading in the same direction, just having one walking that bit further to get to Waverley, just to come back on themselves.

Not stopping for square go's, but just happens that two sets of supporters buses happen to pull in at same time for a pee stop or something.

Plus these would be SPT issues, and then not playing ball is one of the issues that everyone likes to stick the boot into Hampden about.