The final World Cup game at Hampden? - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The final World Cup game at Hampden?

Toepoke

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd love to see Hampden redeveloped but sadly I cannot see where the substantial funds needed would come from.

If we had an SFA with balls instead of a bunch of self serving pussies then it’d be different. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I fear that too with Celtic and Rangers seeing the financial benefits as usual. Hampden needs to be redeveloped. 

That would be my choice as well but it would probably cost too much. 

The ideal situation for me would be for the SFA to buy Hampden from QP and redevelop it. Not sure how feasible that would be though. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

That would be my choice as well but it would probably cost too much. 

The ideal situation for me would be for the SFA to buy Hampden from QP and redevelop it. Not sure how feasible that would be though. 

No chance of that I fear. They can't even cough up enough money to lure a decent manager for the Scotland manager. A redevelopment of Hampden would cost I would say something in the region og between £10 million (minimum) to around £50 million (top end).

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No chance of that I fear. They can't even cough up enough money to lure a decent manager for the Scotland manager. A redevelopment of Hampden would cost I would say something in the region og between £10 million (minimum) to around £50 million (top end).

Yeah there’s no way the SFA could afford to redevelop Hampden on their own. They would need a grant from the government and corporate sponsorship or whatever.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Yeah there’s no way the SFA could afford to redevelop Hampden on their own. They would need a grant from the government and corporate sponsorship or whatever.

Agreed. And I cannot see a government grant being approved as Hampden (to be fair) to outside eyes does not need any work done on it as it is seen as a Grade A facility as is.

in an ideal world hampden would get redeveloped but there's is not a hope in hell of that happening, the cost would astronomical and we don't have the cash. spread the games round ibrox and celtic park or use murrayfield and put the cash we do have into youth development.  I doubt the SFA with their glasgow ties would honestly behind closed doors consider murrayfield, its their baw and its kept in the west coast.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

it would be much closer to 50, hearts' new modest stand is going to be around 10 million.

Edited by LewisEDI

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

it would be much closer to 50, hearts' new modest stand is going to be around 10 million.

I’m pretty sure the south stand cost £59 million or something and that was 20 years ago so god knows how much it would cost to do something similar to the other three stands. At least £100 million I reckon. 

Not that the stadium necessarily needs that. The north stand could be left as it is I think but if something could be done to bring the east and west stands closer to the pitch, Hampden could be just as good as any other stadium in Scotland in terms of view and atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure the south stand cost £59 million or something and that was 20 years ago so god knows how much it would cost to do something similar to the other three stands. At least £100 million I reckon. 

Not that the stadium necessarily needs that. The north stand could be left as it is I think but if something could be done to bring the east and west stands closer to the pitch, Hampden could be just as good as any other stadium in Scotland in terms of view and atmosphere.

Make the pitch longer? 

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Make the pitch longer? 

The pitch must be near to the maximum length as it is. I was thinking more about steepening the slope of the stands and possibly lowering the pitch. Although I’m sure somebody said somewhere that might not be possible. 

Who knows? It’s probably pointless considering the options as nothing will be done. I think we’ll either be playing at Hampden as it is for the next 20 years or we’ll be alternating between Ibrox, Celtic Park and Murrayfield. 

In all honesty its a bit like when a TV or electrical goods breaks down. No point repairing it as you could get a new one for just as much as repair bill costs. By this I mean that what they'd spend on redevelopment will approach what it would cost to start from scratch and building a new stadium either on the same site or elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In all honesty its a bit like when a TV or electrical goods breaks down. No point repairing it as you could get a new one for just as much as repair bill costs. By this I mean that what they'd spend on redevelopment will approach what it would cost to start from scratch and building a new stadium either on the same site or elsewhere.

Suits me as long as it’s in Glasgow. 

37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We should have built a new stadium in the 90s instead of redeveloping Hampden in the half-arsed way we did.

I can’t see it happening now though. 

I have a feeling that the SFA have no intention of leaving Hampden or redeveloping it and talking to Murrayfield is just their sneaky plan to frighten QP into lowering the rent.

21 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We should have built a new stadium in the 90s instead of redeveloping Hampden in the half-arsed way we did.

I can’t see it happening now though. 

I have a feeling that the SFA have no intention of leaving Hampden or redeveloping it and talking to Murrayfield is just their sneaky plan to frighten QP into lowering the rent.

everything we do is half arsed

that's why we're the footballing laughing stock of Europe

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Texas Pete said:

I was thinking more about steepening the slope of the stands and possibly lowering the pitch. Although I’m sure somebody said somewhere that might not be possible. 

I mentioned on the previous page there's a burn that runs under the pitch.

The problem with rebuilding the East and West stands so they are right behind the goals is that they'd need to be enormous to maintain the current capacity never mind expand it.

I enjoy a day out at Hampden. Getting the train through about half 9 trying to hide a cairry oot fae the bizzies, getting into a boozer nice and early

The best part about the day is usually the banter on the late train back through. I'd miss Hampden but Murrayfield would be rehr n' handy 

11 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

Murrayfield is an excellent ground. A full house Scotland game there would have a cracking atmosphere. Plus all the no voters having to put up with 67 500 old firm fans for a cup final would be highly amusing :)

Half of every Old Firm crowd would be No voters probably anyway. :blink:

On 28/10/2017 at 11:02 PM, Patrick McGoohan said:

The idea that Scotland would play our matches at some rugby ground in Edinburgh is vomit inducing.

Agreed, Hampden is home, its not amazing but we have had some right good games and atmospheres there, some crap ones too but they would have been crap regardless of location. At worst moving between parkhead and ibrox would be ok as it would still be glasgow. Edinburgh is not for international football. I saw folk saying the traffic in and around Glasgow is awful at games, I drive for aq living and Edin is 10 times worse than glasgow for rush hour etc so really cant see it being great with football added in.