To stay or go? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To stay or go?

andyD

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

For a start, none of them have managed in Scotland (first page), so instantly they're not wanted nor needed ;)

The guy who would've been my first choice for much of the last two years is Marcelino but he's now at Valencia (and doing a wonderful job). 

Folk like Thomas Schaaf has tremendous experience too and would definitely excite me more than someone like Tommy Wright (no offence to him). Although the SFA would never consider someone like that, solely because they're completely ignorant to everything outwith the UK. 

There's also guys in work. Do we know that Michael O'Neil wouldn't be interested? No, because we've never tried. 

The "but who'd be better" argument really pisses me off, as we don't know who'd be interested until we fecking have a vacancy! 

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If North Britain doesn't beat Slovakia at home tonight then Strachan should walk tomorrow

No discussion, no debate - just walk 

BBC England - "England should qualify for the World Cup later v Slovenia" 

BBC Scotland - "Will be a nervous night at Hampden - Slovakia will be favourites to win 

Last 5 games have surely shown that he has got it now at International football and were progressing in the right direction with a nice group of young players coming through now. If there was ever a time we need consistency with a manager surely its now 

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Correct. 

I apologise, I forgot about the playoff matches that both Smith and Mcleish took us to. 

Football is played on grass, not paper, while he may not have had the highest percentages, he took us to the verge of the euros, a stage achieved by no one since Craig Brown. 

You keep up with the percentages though statto, I'll keep watching what's happening on the park. 

19 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Correct. 

I apologise, I forgot about the playoff matches that both Smith and Mcleish took us to. 

Football is played on grass, not paper, while he may not have had the highest percentages, he took us to the verge of the euros, a stage achieved by no one since Craig Brown. 

You keep up with the percentages though statto, I'll keep watching what's happening on the park. 

100% agree. The media did an amazing job on Vogts and everyone swallowed it. 

At this point we have to keep him, even if we fail to win on Sunday.

I think he's finished the group incredibly strongly and the players all seem to be happy with him, which makes a massive difference.

As it stands I think we've got a great chance of making Euro 2020 and changing manager now might not be the best idea. I'd be comfortable letting him take on the next campaign.

I think it's the Nations Cup first then the actual Euro Qualifiers, is that correct?

Needs a lot of credit for turning this campaign around after a 6-0 drubbing vs Slovakia / England.

Being able to take the positives out of those terrible results, motivate the players and take 13pts from 15 in successive ‘must win’ matches is something he, and everybody else, should be proud of. 

I’m not interested in seeking retribution for his past failings and mistakes. I’m only interested in what’s best for Scotland now. Win or lose on Sunday, I believe Strachan has proved his metal and his ability as a coach. He has clearly learned a lot and I hope he has learned again and makes the changes necessary on Sunday to gets us to the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Needs a lot of credit for turning this campaign around after a 6-0 drubbing vs Slovakia / England.

Being able to take the positives out of those terrible results, motivate the players and take 13pts from 15 in successive ‘must win’ matches is something he, and everybody else, should be proud of. 

I’m not interested in seeking retribution for his past failings and mistakes. I’m only interested in what’s best for Scotland now. Win or lose on Sunday, I believe Strachan has proved his metal and his ability as a coach. He has clearly learned a lot and I hope he has learned again and makes the changes necessary on Sunday to gets us to the playoffs.

Agree with that, the end of the last campaign was bitterly disappointing and we seemed to be on a downward spiral. The highs of the beginning of that campaign were long forgotten and it seemed a change of manager looked the best thing.

This campaign has been the total reverse and we should be reasonably confident going into the next campaign regardless of what happens on Sunday.

What a difference a year makes.  This time last year after Lithuania at home I wanted rid of him, now I feel he has to stay!  He's completely turned it around and he deserves massive credit for doing so! 

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Correct. 

Apology accepted ?.  And I take your 'statto' comment as a huge compliment.   And to be clear, I don't disagree that Berti was unfairly treated as he had nothing to work with in terms of players.  Wattie and Mcleish both were better managers and had us far better organised.

15 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Apology accepted ?.  And I take your 'statto' comment as a huge compliment.   And to be clear, I don't disagree that Berti was unfairly treated as he had nothing to work with in terms of players.  Wattie and Mcleish both were better managers and had us far better organised.

Yet they never got us as far as Vogts did, what exactly do you define as "successful" for an international team?

To me, at our level, it's qualifying for tournaments, which Vogts took us the closest to in the last 19 years. 

To summarise, you're talking nonsense. 

But at least it's "organised" nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Yet they never got us as far as Vogts did, what exactly do you define as "successful" for an international team?

To me, at our level, it's qualifying for tournaments, which Vogts took us the closest to in the last 19 years. 

To summarise, you're talking nonsense. 

But at least it's "organised" nonsense. 

It's you talking nonsense.  By your own admission, the results under smith and Mcleish were better than Berti.  Success to me is winning games and qualifying.  Results and performances were poorer under Berti - fact.  When he started it didn't look like he had a clue what he was doing, playing 4-2-4 formations with players out of position and getting draws against the likes of the faroes.  

i would have Smith or Mcleish back in straight away if there was a vacancy.  

18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It's you talking nonsense.  By your own admission, the results under smith and Mcleish were better than Berti.  Success to me is winning games and qualifying.  Results and performances were poorer under Berti - fact.  When he started it didn't look like he had a clue what he was doing, playing 4-2-4 formations with players out of position and getting draws against the likes of the faroes.  

i would have Smith or Mcleish back in straight away if there was a vacancy.  

Let me get this straight. 

Poor results = play offs

Better results = no play offs

Correct??

28 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Let me get this straight. 

Poor results = play offs

Better results = no play offs

Correct??

It’s a tough one but I think McLeish/Smith had tougher groups because our ranking was so low by the time they took over.  

France and Italy in the same group was an absolute nightmare. How were we meant to get out of that? We were a baw hair away from a playoff mind you. 

When Berti took us to a playoff we were in a very easy group in terms of getting second place. Germany, Iceland, Lithuania and the Faroes. Iceland were poor at the time as well compared to now. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Correct.  

Berti... scotland pumped 5-0 by France...  Mcleish, smith, win 1-0 v France.  You can look at it lots of ways. 

Who laid the foundations for those teams?

Who brought faddy into the fold?

You're clearly the hooray henry that thinks "Scotland is best" and there's no getting away from that utter delusional frame of mind. 

I feel sorry for you. 

15 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Who laid the foundations for those teams?

Who brought faddy into the fold?

You're clearly the hooray henry that thinks "Scotland is best" and there's no getting away from that utter delusional frame of mind. 

I feel sorry for you. 

Wtf is a 'hooray henry'?  Any manager with eyes would have put faddy in to that poor team.  

You seem to be very quick to make assumptions about me just because I have a different view on this to you.  Yes, I do prefer a Scottish manager for our national team - I make no apologies for that.  This forum is about opinions.  Show some respect when other peoples differs from yours.