To stay or go? - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

To stay or go?

andyD

3 hours ago, chris182 said:

Allardyce would be an OK appointment IMO 

Daftest post of the year! 

He disgraced himself with the Auld Enemy resulting in him getting the boot after ONE game and we've got a madman thinking Scotland would do well to appoint not only an Englishman to run our national team but the same Englishman that disgraced their head coach position like no other! 

What's you poison of choice today Chris?

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I dont want somebody there taking the job to promote himself. I want somebody in the job because they genuinely want it. He has shown where his interests lie in the past where he was quick to rule himself out of the job when he was at Everton.

It's a managerial career they are trying to build though. Scotland is and always will be a stepping stone to a big club job. It's funny how we don't have any qualms asking Michael O'Neill to forego the exact qualities we expect of our new manager!

3 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

He also said he'd love the job one day, just not at that particular time. Nothing wrong with that. You've got to remember it's a job at the end of the day, nobody is going to quit a good job for one that's harder and pays less money. You can get all romantic about the it all you want, but that's what it is, a job. If someone come in, gets us to a tournament then get a big job somewhere else then fair play to them.

Even so he has had his day. Woeful record in management for the last three or four years. You could put him in the same bracket as Paul Lambert and John Collins. At one point looked real candidates for future Scotland manager but have had a number of lean years at numerous clubs. Leave well alone.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Tommy Wright has a track record of getting players playing to their maximum on a consistent basis. He has, over a number of years, shown that he has the ability to make a team better than the sum of it's parts. 

I don't think Tommy Wright is the best choice but looking at what he's achieved, i can see why people think that he has the attributes we should be looking for. 

Spot on. Still think we should go foreign (Wright technically is) but I'd be happy enough with Wright

The SFA pay a relative pittance. This why we only get 'fallen' managers and people looking to use the job to rejuvenate their career by getting us to punch above our weight. Soon as anyone does really well they will be poached. If Strachan had done well he would have been long gone by now.

The best choice of fallen manager right now is crazily probably Allardyce.  But he is positioned nicely for the first club worried about relegation and will make a lot more than the peanuts the sfa will offer.

Probably be Moyes...

30 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Moyes took Preston from the bottom of what is now league 1 to the championship playoff in three and a half years where they lost to Bolton and even though he had money to spend at Everton, it wasn't as much as a hell of a lot of clubs yet they always finished in the top half of the league, including a top 4 finish. And if he is wanted by a EPL club, it would mean he's doing a good job.

No they didn't. They finished 17th in his second full season and 11th in his fourth full season. There is no doubt he done a pretty good job at Everton, but he never won anything, done nothing of any note in Europe and finishing 4th with them is his greatest achievement to date as a manger and that was nearly 13 years ago. He is another Scottish manager that modern football has zoomed past at an incredible pace and as such should be nowhere near a list of credible replacements.

10 minutes ago, Mox said:

No they didn't. They finished 17th in his second full season and 11th in his fourth full season. There is no doubt he done a pretty good job at Everton, but he never won anything, done nothing of any note in Europe and finishing 4th with them is his greatest achievement to date as a manger and that was nearly 13 years ago. He is another Scottish manager that modern football has zoomed past at an incredible pace and as such should be nowhere near a list of credible replacements.

Aye, a knew that, forgot to type almost. Moyes would do a job for us if he was manager, he has by far the best credentials and experience at a higher level. His mistakes were in taking jobs he had no chance of success in.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No chance of success at Man. utd? Whit?

He didn't do much different to van Gaal or Mourinho (during his first season).
Man Utd's squad was a mess and it's taken years and hundreds of millions to sort it out.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And fact is he has flopped at his last three clubs. That is not the type of form to get you tge Scotland job. Far better in form options out there. If it is to be a foreign option then sobeit.

Erm... have you checked Strachans managerial past!? 

Moyes' problem is that, rightly or wrongly, he became a joke figure in public. Was ridiculed by press, fans and players. I think it's almost impossible for him to hold a dressing room now because of it. Unless he finds a set of players wanting to give him a break and fight for him, he's lose support of dressing room, local media and fans far quicker than most other managers.

I don't think he did great at ManU but it was far from all his fault and I think it's ruined his career. I wouldn't have him in the Scotland job for this reason: media and fans will turn on him at the first sign of trouble and it would be brutal. There's no way he could keep the dressing room.

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Erm... have you checked Strachans managerial past!? 

Better win percentage as manager than Moyes for a start. Had better record than O'Neill at Celtic in Europe. Got Southampton to an FA Cup Final and Europe and at Coventry was on a hidingcto nothing as Richardson was hell bent on selling all the club assets and gave next to nothing back to spend.

Not saying he never had his flops but just that he had more success at higher levels than Moyes has had.

Offer me Moyes now and I'd much sooner stick with Strachan.

Allardyce is a fallen manager but crucially he is the only one who is fallen not because he was a pish manager... just a greedy khunt. He was just appointed england manager FFS just recently and only lost the job through money sleaze stupidity. If we got him as manager on the pish the SFA will pay it would be a steal. These money sleaze temptations are simply not going to exist as Scotland manager :lol: we are far too skint and really what more motivated person can you think of to prove himself as an international manager after his massive public humiliation... I think he would make it a mission to take us further and faster than anyone before. So I think he would be good for us. Crazy as I said. (But we cant afford him!)

I just cannot see any (not a tiny hint) that says Strachan should stay. He is tactically incompetent, arrogant and havers total shiite on every interview. If we stick with him it'll be endless repeats with the same favorites getting a game and him making sure that he never ever seems to accept that someone else (ie most of the country) has a better idea.

Anyone who selects Phillips for 2 consecutive must win games knows F-all about football.

You just cannot defend him.

Anyone  would be better.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Better win percentage as manager than Moyes for a start. Had better record than O'Neill at Celtic in Europe. Got Southampton to an FA Cup Final and Europe and at Coventry was on a hidingcto nothing as Richardson was hell bent on selling all the club assets and gave next to nothing back to spend.

Not saying he never had his flops but just that he had more success at higher levels than Moyes has had.

Offer me Moyes now and I'd much sooner stick with Strachan.

Nobody thinks Moyes should get the job.

Everybody barring 5 numpties thinks Strachan has to go.

2 minutes ago, deso1 said:

The two campaigns have been almost identical..............half of each have been ok, and half of each have been terrible............. THEREFORE NO PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE.

Not strictly accurate. Good start to last campaign then a dip to finish fourth. After bright start a dip to this campaign and then a very strong finish to finish third edged out of play-off on goal difference. 

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not strictly accurate. Good start to last campaign then a dip to finish fourth. After bright start a dip to this campaign and then a very strong finish to finish third edged out of play-off on goal difference. 

strong finish......2-2 in a must win game against a team that were out..........I think he's right genetically we must be thick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, deso1 said:

a dip to finish 4th.........A DIP?

Bright start to this campaign? 4 points from 4 games.......What are you on?????

Well I wouldn't call a heavy away win against anyone as anything other than a bright start would you? We have never been renowned as big scorers ever against minnows on our travels. Dip or plunge call it what you will but 4th place in Euros to missing a play-off spot on gd this time around is improvement.

And before I get lept on I am all for change but some people are going OTT on our current plight. Yes we are all gutted we missed out again but we got a damned sight closer this time.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I wouldn't call a heavy away win against anyone as anything other than a bright start would you? We have never been renowned as big scorers ever against minnows on our travels. Dip or pkunge call it what you will but 4th pkace in Euros to misding a play-off spot on gd this time around is improvement.

And before I get lept on I am all for change but some people are going OTT on our current plight. Yes we are all gutted we missed out again but we got a damned sight closer this time.

SORRY BUT IT WAS 3PTS AGAINST MALTA.

WE GOT CLOSER INSPITE OF THE MANAGER, HE CONTINUES TO BAFFLE EVERY1 TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

AND NO RESPECT FOR US EITHER.

No it wasn't in inspite of manager actually. Just remember how lambasted he was for picking Martin - a player he stood by despite booing from fans who got us key wins to keep us in the reckoning until the last match. 

As I said lets go foreign now on manager front as I am far from excited by the Scottish options. Odd as around 5 to 10 years ago there were plenty of options but they look far less appetising prospects now.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

He didn't do much different to van Gaal or Mourinho (during his first season).
Man Utd's squad was a mess and it's taken years and hundreds of millions to sort it out.

The were the league champions! :lol: