** Official 'new Powers Timetable ** - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

** Official 'new Powers Timetable **

According to Alan Trench, Devo Max is off the table and was never on it

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/new-powers-must-be-compatible-with-staying-in-uk-1-3555400

http://devolutionmatters.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/snp-sorry-the-referendum-result-takes-devo-max-off-the-table/

OK, so who said you'd get Devo Max if you voted no? Was it (just) David Dimbleby? (and by implication, Gordon Brown for not correcting him?)

So... either the No side was misleading, or the BBC was (or both) - which is it?

Jackie bird was interviewing a unionist and clearly said "let's call it devo max"

I can't help but think we're putting a bit too much emphasis on the extent that these powers actually influenced people's vote.

Any no voters I've spoken to don't seem to give a flying phuk about them. They were quite happy to carry on with the status quo.

I think the only thing the powers did was give undecideds, who IMO were always likely to vote No anyway, justification for doing so. I can't see many of them feeling let down and betrayed to the extent we might want them to.

I can't help but think we're putting a bit too much emphasis on the extent that these powers actually influenced people's vote.

Any no voters I've spoken to don't seem to give a flying phuk about them. They were quite happy to carry on with the status quo.

I think the only thing the powers did was give undecideds, who IMO were always likely to vote No anyway, justification for doing so. I can't see many of them feeling let down and betrayed to the extent we might want them to.

Thats as maybe Marky. In that case it was a mistake by the BT campaign to promise these things. However having had those promises it would be very foolish of the Yes voters and the people of scotland in general to let them wriggle out of it. In the end Devo max while still being part of the union would probably have taken the vast majority of votes if it had been a ballot paper option. So it is definitely what a majority want.

You might be right.

But we only had to have some voters, persuaded by these extra powers promises, some persuaded by the increase in ASDA prices, some persuaded by the "threat" to pensions, .....

We only needed 192000 to vote the other way and we would have won it.

According to Alan Trench, Devo Max is off the table and was never on it

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/new-powers-must-be-compatible-with-staying-in-uk-1-3555400

http://devolutionmatters.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/snp-sorry-the-referendum-result-takes-devo-max-off-the-table/

OK, so who said you'd get Devo Max if you voted no? Was it (just) David Dimbleby? (and by implication, Gordon Brown for not correcting him?)

So... either the No side was misleading, or the BBC was (or both) - which is it?

Rory Stewart said on QT from Kelso last Thursday "Scotland will get devo max. No ifs, no buts"

It doesn't matter if it swayed none of them. They promised it and if they don't deliver then it will show the extent they were prepared to lie. If they lied about this then hopefully No voters will question what else they lied about. We have already seen a few other example too...

It doesn't matter if it swayed none of them. They promised it and if they don't deliver then it will show the extent they were prepared to lie. If they lied about this then hopefully No voters will question what else they lied about. We have already seen a few other example too...

I agree with that Lamia. I'm just not getting my hopes up that any failure to deliver these powers will have a significant effect on no voters attitude.

The referendum has changed so many peoples lives. For the better I hope. There is a huge cringe on the unionist side that wants it all to go away. Thats not going to happen.

I've spoken to a few rangers guys who were default no's, would've voted no, but said they were disappointed with the result. Go figure. We have right on our side.

According to this:

http://news.stv.tv/politics/294068-full-text-of-gordon-browns-letter-setting-out-new-powers-plan/

"I reminded him that the timetable proposed in my speech at Loanhead Miners Welfare Club on Monday, September 8, - a Command Paper by the end of October, the equivalent of a White Paper by the end of November and draft clauses for a new Scotland Act by the end of January, 2015 - was accepted by all of the pro-devolution parties.

I said that I personally hoped for a Second Reading of the Bill by Easter, but I also said that I accepted that the Parliamentary timetable was not in Labour’s hands."

1. This makes no mention of the promised motion before UK Parliament, 19th September - already broken?

2. The Parliamentary timetable not in Labour's hands - by definition - but we were led to believe the timetable WAS agreed by all three signatories to the VOW.