Gardening. - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, slasher said:

Tragically a fox attack caused panic today and the bold Marvin died of fright! Genuinely gutted 😢

Sorry to hear that. I returned home from work a couple of months ago to find Arthur the rabbit lying dead in the middle of the run, no sign of injury and no previous indication of illness. Was more upset about it than was probably  legitimate for an old man about a rabbit, but hey.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got a bit of colour in their garden at the moment. My winter stuff is green but i think is dying a slow death. Maybe nest year. Aaaah fuck and Arthurs wee enclosure that I built that I didn't have the heart to take down will be there to the summer.

Edited by Eisegerwind

On 11/18/2018 at 7:48 PM, slasher said:

Tragically a fox attack caused panic today and the bold Marvin died of fright! Genuinely gutted 😢

(I missed this when you posted it originally.) 

Sorry to hear about Marvin and absolutely understandable that you’d be gutted. 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:54 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Sorry to hear that. I returned home from work a couple of months ago to find Arthur the rabbit lying dead in the middle of the run, no sign of injury and no previous indication of illness. Was more upset about it than was probably  legitimate for an old man about a rabbit, but hey.

I’d find it strange if you and Slasher had said you were unmoved by Marvin and Arthur’s deaths. I didn’t choose to adopt my first rabbit but now I can’t imagine them not being there. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 2:42 AM, Eisegerwind said:

How, when do you grow peas?

There's some varieties you can plant in the autumn for an early summer crop, but you're too late for that now I think. I usually put mine in sometime in late April / early May, cold frame first then plant out. Weather dependent as with everything else.

7 hours ago, biffer said:

There's some varieties you can plant in the autumn for an early summer crop, but you're too late for that now I think. I usually put mine in sometime in late April / early May, cold frame first then plant out. Weather dependent as with everything else.

Ah, OK thanks. Maybe just go with some tatties then.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bumping this to let you all know how it's going. Apple and cherry trees have some nice blossom. Discovered wild rabbits have been eating the bark off the trees, initially I thought no biggie, only to discover that it's a sure fire way to kill the trees, so did some repair work and protected the trunks with plastic spiral wrap. Summer fruiting rasps looking ok, autumn ones, again looks like the rabbits have been having a bit of a go at them. I'm a bit nonplussed about the rabbit thing, nice to see them hopping about the garden, but stop eating everything!

On 5/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Just bumping this to let you all know how it's going. Apple and cherry trees have some nice blossom. Discovered wild rabbits have been eating the bark off the trees, initially I thought no biggie, only to discover that it's a sure fire way to kill the trees, so did some repair work and protected the trunks with plastic spiral wrap. Summer fruiting rasps looking ok, autumn ones, again looks like the rabbits have been having a bit of a go at them. I'm a bit nonplussed about the rabbit thing, nice to see them hopping about the garden, but stop eating everything!

It might give them a nice flavour when you put them in a stew. 

Pigeons are my biggest problem but you can use nets to stop them. Nets don't work with rabbits though. 

I could also start up a snail factory but I'm not sure they are the edible variety.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I grow a lot. I’m obviously learning and henceforth getting better each year. 
This year I have had a great harvest. I grew red tatties, carrots, onions, garlic, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, poblanos, 

I cook a lot. It’s always been something I have done since I was maybe 11-12 years old. I am not a great fruit fan but I’m crazy on veg. My yield this year was brilliant. Although, my jalapenos for some reason were way more spicy than you would expect. This Summer was drier than usual and I read that lack of rain can massively increase the scoville level. 🤯

• 11 months later...