Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I knew as soon as rabbits were mentioned  it wouldnt be long till you hopped along 😀 You look after those rabbits better than I look after my weans. 

Nowt wrong with hopping along.

 

 

😏

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 12:34 AM, G-Man said:

Company say it’s safe as soon as it’s dried in but rabbit boards say to wait at least 2 weeks or do smaller sections at a time. 

I offered to look after a rescued rabbit for a few weeks in 2013. When 2014 came around I realised she was mine for keeps and adopted another one as read they should have a companion. They are the most expensive and dodgy fecking animals I’ve ever had, vet bills are extortionate and now there’s this new jag for some disease that hasn’t even been reported in Scotland that I’ve just had to take them for. Took Hoppity to vet as her toilet was a bit funny and they thought she had one slightly long tooth and advised getting it filed down in case it was causing the problem. £113 and it didn’t fix the problem! If they have an operation they’re not allowed to come round on their own but have to be brought round with more medication. Really galling as I’d been cause of problem, I’d been putting their heat pads into their living tub and they were getting cosy by sitting on them, then when they pooped it was soft and stuck to them. So instead of £113 I could have just washed her bum.  Another expensive lesson  i eventually learned is that they shouldn’t eat carrots as too high in sugar,, carrot tops are great though. Nearly everything I grow is for them. Have 2 of those plastic greenhouses and grow parsley, coriander (lots as it’s their favourite), basil, thyme and 3 different type of mint. I give them mint every day as it keeps their stomachs calm and if they don’t move around as normal I put some leaves in tepid water as a mint tea remedy, I have a neighbour who grows carrots and gives me the tops and another who cuts me lots of raspberry branches every day as they love raspberry leaves. I grow roses in pots as I find it easier to keep them free of black spot and the rabbits eat every part, petals, leaves and big jaggy or wee jaggy thorns so I can’t use any sprays on them. I’ve lots of willow and apple trees nearby and take a branch or 2 from each for them, they love both but go for apple branches first. Always think they must hate winter even more than humans do as their diet becomes quite boring, 

 

Sake! Nae wonder it's got the runs! Mine gets hay and feck all else apart from the occasional strawberry top and is regular as clockwork. The biggest problem I've got with him is his prison break skills. Three times the fecker has bolted....I'm thinking of renaming him Steve McQueen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slasher said:

Sake! Nae wonder it's got the runs! Mine gets hay and feck all else apart from the occasional strawberry top and is regular as clockwork. The biggest problem I've got with him is his prison break skills. Three times the fecker has bolted....I'm thinking of renaming him Steve McQueen.

If all you got fed all day every day was dried up hay, you'd be trying espace as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If all you got fed all day every day was dried up hay, you'd be trying espace as well. 

That's what the vet advised when we got the wee fecker. He seems to be doing alright on it anyway lol 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slasher said:

That's what the vet advised when we got the wee fecker. He seems to be doing alright on it anyway lol 😁

Aye he might be enjoying the food well enough. He might be just trying to escape so he can get a hump?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peas and beans coming on, tattles and onions looking good. Mice ate most of my lettuce and my garlic didn’t come through at all, neither did most of my leeks but it’s early enough to sow again. Need to get some more lettuce in this week along with some spinach and broccoli.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slasher said:

Sake! Nae wonder it's got the runs! Mine gets hay and feck all else apart from the occasional strawberry top and is regular as clockwork. The biggest problem I've got with him is his prison break skills. Three times the fecker has bolted....I'm thinking of renaming him Steve McQueen.

Rabbit adoption place told me 80% of their diet should be hay and 20% herbs and pellets. Their house and run is very secure as I have a fox who’s lived under the shed at back of garden for years so had to make sure I wasn’t running a rabbit supper take away. They run around the garden every day but I’m always out with them so no Steve McQueen attempts, but seeing how quickly they can shift I can sympathise. Just taken them their fenugreek crunchie and raspberry stalks for their supper and told them about your hay only diet. They just carried on ripping into the raspberry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, biffer said:

Peas and beans coming on, tattles and onions looking good. Mice ate most of my lettuce and my garlic didn’t come through at all, neither did most of my leeks but it’s early enough to sow again. Need to get some more lettuce in this week along with some spinach and broccoli.

How do you know it was mice that ate your lettuce. Did you see them chomping it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

How do you know it was mice that ate your lettuce. Did you see them chomping it? 

Hard to think what else it could have been. They were completely eaten right down to the ground, but the roots weren't taken up. They were in a polytunnel, which wasn't disturbed, so it wasn't the pigeons or the magpies (they would have ripped the plants up as well), and slugs wouldn't have eaten the whole thing either. Other plot owners at my allotment have complained of having mice at their stuff as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 11:46 AM, biffer said:

Hard to think what else it could have been. They were completely eaten right down to the ground, but the roots weren't taken up. They were in a polytunnel, which wasn't disturbed, so it wasn't the pigeons or the magpies (they would have ripped the plants up as well), and slugs wouldn't have eaten the whole thing either. Other plot owners at my allotment have complained of having mice at their stuff as well.

You might be surprised how voracious snails and slugs can be. Go out just after dark with a torch and have a snail hunt. Mice might eat the seeds before they germinate but I think they are unlikely to be eating lettuce leaves unless they are really starving?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You might be surprised how voracious snails and slugs can be. Go out just after dark with a torch and have a snail hunt. Mice might eat the seeds before they germinate but I think they are unlikely to be eating lettuce leaves unless they are really starving?

 

It was at the end of April /early May, so they probably were given how late everything came through after the harsh winter. It was just after I'd planted them out, so we're talking very small plants. Pretty certain it wasn't slugs and snails, didn't look like that kind of damage. And I saw mice around as well - they're less of a problem now the wild berries are coming through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 1:05 AM, G-Man said:

Rabbit adoption place told me 80% of their diet should be hay and 20% herbs and pellets. Their house and run is very secure as I have a fox who’s lived under the shed at back of garden for years so had to make sure I wasn’t running a rabbit supper take away. They run around the garden every day but I’m always out with them so no Steve McQueen attempts, but seeing how quickly they can shift I can sympathise. Just taken them their fenugreek crunchie and raspberry stalks for their supper and told them about your hay only diet. They just carried on ripping into the raspberry. 

Yeah, a hay diet seems to be the perceived wisdom. However I have a bit of garden that I have ' left to nature' that has all sorts of shit growing in it. Some stuff with little yellow flowers that he goes mental for, ate 2 bushes worth in a week. Can't imagine they eat much dried hay in the wild? I'd post pics but I don't think you can upload pics here.

Edited by Eisegerwind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, Orraloon said:

Aye he might be enjoying the food well enough. He might be just trying to escape so he can get a hump?

He's underage so he can just make do with chugging his wee pillow like I had to do when I was his age 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, slasher said:

IMG_20171125_185735.thumb.jpg.6b22523532d7ee823754b62a4dfdb5bd.jpgMarvin aka Steve McQueen 😁 

Nice. Can you upload a pic direct or do you need to put it on some sort of  internet thing or cloud or ether or whatever. I think Arthur the rabbit needs a more online presence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Nice. Can you upload a pic direct or do you need to put it on some sort of  internet thing or cloud or ether or whatever. I think Arthur the rabbit needs a more online presence.

To be honest I'm not totally sure how I did that lol. I think if you use insert other media in comments box it should bring up a list of options. If you choose documents it should bring up a drop down menu that will give you access to the gallery on your phone or tablet and just upload from there......but that's not working for me now as I appear to have existing attachments?😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trees have taken a fair old battering with the easterly winds. However they seem OK, the trunks are still pretty vertical the branches are all leaning to the east not surprisingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

The trees have taken a fair old battering with the easterly winds. However they seem OK, the trunks are still pretty vertical the branches are all leaning to the east not surprisingly.

An easterly wind blows from the east. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a wee bit of storm damage last week as well - plastic greenhouse and polytunnel recovery from 70 yards away was successful, and the beans and peas are now mostly back upright. Leeks in the ground last night and broccoli, more lettuce, parsnips and carrots coming on in the cold frame. Potatoes and onions growing really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×