Gardening. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-24 at 2:19 AM, Orraloon said:

That could be where it is heading for? Spiders like to crawl into orifices. Some folk got paid to do a study a few years ago. They reckon that on average, over our lifetimes, we will consume about 7 spiders as they like to wait until we are asleep then crawl into our open mouths, nostrils and other places. Sometimes they don't come back out again.

The curse of the uphill gardener

On 04/11/2017 at 1:25 AM, Eisegerwind said:

So, planning on planting 10  fruit trees (apples ) with different flowering fruiting periods. Swithering on whether I should plant them individually in the lawn with a round mulch area around each or planting in a large area with mulch around the whole area.

If it was me I’d plant them together so I had a wee mini orchard to sit in.

On 08/11/2017 at 7:38 AM, biffer said:

If it was me I’d plant them together so I had a wee mini orchard to sit in.

Yeah, so that's the plan. 10 apple trees in a nice little arrangement, maybe a couple of plum trees and cherry trees.A wee seating area in the middle. Let them grow, not really bothered about collecting the fruit short term,just leave it for the birds and the bees. Tattie patch for eating. Some raspberries and tayberries

Then when I get really old and retired with nae money, just sit in my mini orchard and live on fruit and tatties and watch the birds, sorted!

• 3 weeks later...

So, was planning to plant some apple tress over the Christmas period when I've got a bit of time. Informed today by someone who I presume knows about this stuff, that in Scotland, it's a springtime planting period? and that I'm looking at a only a couple of varieties, James Grieve and Laxtons Superb or Fortune?

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 9:02 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Got the trees planted last week, celebrated the winter soltice by dancing around..... no I didn't, but thought about it. So next up, tatties and soft fruit. Would've posted a pic but no idea how to do it.

My mum gave me a dwarf apple tree for Christmas for my allotment. Need to get it planted once the snow is away.

• 1 month later...

Nothing to report so far. I think I have to throw some fertilizer at the trees come the start of spring which I think is March. Throw down some wildfower seeds at the front again, March.  Any info re planting berries, strawbberries, raspberries, others.

Really, if there are any gardeners on the site, could they give a message when planting times, pruning,harvesting times come along.

I'm going to plant my tomato seeds this weekend. Will put them on a tray on the windowsill above a radiator.

Ended up with 16 plants last year doing that.

This year I am going to grow Rosella, Tomberry and also some cherry tomato variety.

Also have 30 odd garlic bulbs growing nicely outside. They were planted in November.

• 1 month later...

Spent all day making a bed for raspberries. Just finished planting them in the dark, 4 varieties, 2 summer fruiting and 2 autumn fruiting, we'll see what happens. Some faint signs of life on some of the apple trees and some wildflower seeds scattered at the front. I am absolutely knackered having a beer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite my lack of gardening knowledge the apple trees and cherry trees and rasps seem to be in throes of producing fruit. In my ignorance I had to google where and how apple, cherry and rasps appeared. Seems it's the same biological process that people come from. There was me thinking I was a 'monkey with shoes'(tamb quote),turns out I'm a plant with legs.

Edited by Eisegerwind

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Anybody know if lawn feed like Evergreen complete is harmful to rabbits?

Well, it's a rabbit, will probably eat what it fancies. I dare say ingesting lots of weird (i before e except after c, other thread) chemicals won't do it a lot of good but we get by doing the same so hey ho.

10 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Well, it's a rabbit, will probably eat what it fancies. I dare say ingesting lots of weird (i before e except after c, other thread) chemicals won't do it a lot of good but we get by doing the same so hey ho.

Aye, he'll eat anything. There's conflicting advice on it on the interweb but he'll just need tae lump it, the grass is a feckin shambles lol

Yeah, I have recently  become a guardian of a rabbit through  circumstances which I won't go through and have become somewhat attached to the animal.I have spent a fair few quid buying Kail cos that's his favourite,, its not, he likes doken leaves and nettles and green shit.Oh, and newspaper, he absolutely loves his newspaper, obviously  he doesn't read it but he eats it and throws it about and buries his head underneath it. We'd probably be better off if we did the same.

9 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, I have recently  become a guardian of a rabbit through  circumstances which I won't go through and have become somewhat attached to the animal.I have spent a fair few quid buying Kail cos that's his favourite,, its not, he likes doken leaves and nettles and green shit.Oh, and newspaper, he absolutely loves his newspaper, obviously  he doesn't read it but he eats it and throws it about and buries his head underneath it. We'd probably be better off if we did the same.

😀

I have a pile of Daily Mails I could send your way.  He/she is free to wipe their arse on it as well. 

I feel a little bit disappointed in myself for allowing middle age to catch up on me but I've sort of got slightly into gardening of late (although an encyclopaedic collection of allergies & lung problems mean Mrs H gets most of the messy/grafting jobs😎

Anyway, I'm not doing too bad overall. I've managed to get a lime plant to survive two Yorkshire winters & a few things that are dealing with my ignorance of their basic needs to actually look quite good.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:24 PM, slasher said:

Anybody know if lawn feed like Evergreen complete is harmful to rabbits?

Company say it’s safe as soon as it’s dried in but rabbit boards say to wait at least 2 weeks or do smaller sections at a time. 

23 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

I offered to look after a rescued rabbit for a few weeks in 2013. When 2014 came around I realised she was mine for keeps and adopted another one as read they should have a companion. They are the most expensive and dodgy fecking animals I’ve ever had, vet bills are extortionate and now there’s this new jag for some disease that hasn’t even been reported in Scotland that I’ve just had to take them for. Took Hoppity to vet as her toilet was a bit funny and they thought she had one slightly long tooth and advised getting it filed down in case it was causing the problem. £113 and it didn’t fix the problem! If they have an operation they’re not allowed to come round on their own but have to be brought round with more medication. Really galling as I’d been cause of problem, I’d been putting their heat pads into their living tub and they were getting cosy by sitting on them, then when they pooped it was soft and stuck to them. So instead of £113 I could have just washed her bum.  Another expensive lesson  i eventually learned is that they shouldn’t eat carrots as too high in sugar,, carrot tops are great though. Nearly everything I grow is for them. Have 2 of those plastic greenhouses and grow parsley, coriander (lots as it’s their favourite), basil, thyme and 3 different type of mint. I give them mint every day as it keeps their stomachs calm and if they don’t move around as normal I put some leaves in tepid water as a mint tea remedy, I have a neighbour who grows carrots and gives me the tops and another who cuts me lots of raspberry branches every day as they love raspberry leaves. I grow roses in pots as I find it easier to keep them free of black spot and the rabbits eat every part, petals, leaves and big jaggy or wee jaggy thorns so I can’t use any sprays on them. I’ve lots of willow and apple trees nearby and take a branch or 2 from each for them, they love both but go for apple branches first. Always think they must hate winter even more than humans do as their diet becomes quite boring, 

Edited by G-Man

16 hours ago, G-Man said:

Company say it’s safe as soon as it’s dried in but rabbit boards say to wait at least 2 weeks or do smaller sections at a time. 

I offered to look after a rescued rabbit for a few weeks in 2013. When 2014 came around I realised she was mine for keeps and adopted another one as read they should have a companion. They are the most expensive and dodgy fecking animals I’ve ever had, vet bills are extortionate and now there’s this new jag for some disease that hasn’t even been reported in Scotland that I’ve just had to take them for. Took Hoppity to vet as her toilet was a bit funny and they thought she had one slightly long tooth and advised getting it filed down in case it was causing the problem. £113 and it didn’t fix the problem! If they have an operation they’re not allowed to come round on their own but have to be brought round with more medication. Really galling as I’d been cause of problem, I’d been putting their heat pads into their living tub and they were getting cosy by sitting on them, then when they pooped it was soft and stuck to them. So instead of £113 I could have just washed her bum.  Another expensive lesson  i eventually learned is that they shouldn’t eat carrots as too high in sugar,, carrot tops are great though. Nearly everything I grow is for them. Have 2 of those plastic greenhouses and grow parsley, coriander (lots as it’s their favourite), basil, thyme and 3 different type of mint. I give them mint every day as it keeps their stomachs calm and if they don’t move around as normal I put some leaves in tepid water as a mint tea remedy, I have a neighbour who grows carrots and gives me the tops and another who cuts me lots of raspberry branches every day as they love raspberry leaves. I grow roses in pots as I find it easier to keep them free of black spot and the rabbits eat every part, petals, leaves and big jaggy or wee jaggy thorns so I can’t use any sprays on them. I’ve lots of willow and apple trees nearby and take a branch or 2 from each for them, they love both but go for apple branches first. Always think they must hate winter even more than humans do as their diet becomes quite boring, 

I knew as soon as rabbits were mentioned  it wouldnt be long till you hopped along 😀 You look after those rabbits better than I look after my weans.