Gardening. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Doesn't look the rest of my remaining tomatos will ripen. 

Still some potatoes and carrots to lift, but We suffered badly with blight this year. 

All the last runner and French beans have been picked and frozen. 

Gooseberries were all picked a while back and jam made. Next year we'll get raspberries, and hopefully our first crop of kiwi berries. The cherry tree is on its last chance to produce or its oot. 

Apart from that, not a lot except the whole garden, front and back,  and all the neighbours too, are infested with spiders. 

12 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Doesn't look the rest of my remaining tomatos will ripen. 

Still some potatoes and carrots to lift, but We suffered badly with blight this year. 

All the last runner and French beans have been picked and frozen. 

Gooseberries were all picked a while back and jam made. Next year we'll get raspberries, and hopefully our first crop of kiwi berries. The cherry tree is on its last chance to produce or its oot. 

Apart from that, not a lot except the whole garden, front and back,  and all the neighbours too, are infested with spiders. 

I think it has been a good year for spiders. My garden is full of spiders too. And moss. I think moss is my most successful crop.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i've got a big back garden that's grass( not nice enough to say lawn). Latest plan is is plant some fruit trees, apples mainly, plums, pears.Soft fruit rasperrys, strawbberrys, tatties, wildflowers. Not all that interseted in the crops for eating more interested in attracting bird insect habitat.Ideas? Guess I've got to kill the grass first?

Edited by Eisegerwind
grammer

Had thought it was last grass cut of the season 9 days ago but it's still growing.

Hebe, cosmos & wild flowers still showing amongst others.

Still got a couple of thistles in flower - lasted long enough to see the Jags get their first win of the season!

Was down in Arran last week & a few wasps still doing the rounds in Blackwaterfoot.

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/how-to-attract-spiders-to-your-garden

I have a couple of wee spider houses in the garden that I was given a few years ago but can’t find them in shops or online anymore. Spiders and bees are great garden companions.  

I have never seen a spider and a bee interact in any way whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I have never seen a spider and a bee interact in any way whatsoever.

You're not visiting the right gardens. Mental at nights here especially when the slugs join in the tequila challenge, they always lose at the salt bit though.😛 

Not got a garden but I have an allotment. Got out of control in July and August for reasons I won't go into, buy I still got about 50lb of potatoes and 50 or so onions up. Leeks still growing, I'll see how they go. 

Apart from that there's a lot of couch grass and four foot thistles. So the weedkiller went on a few weeks ago and  now trying to clear it. A couple of large beds (12' by 12') cleared and have tarp over them, another part done, but still a lot to do. Need to take some time to sort out my redcurrants and blueberry bushes as well, and flatten a bit of ground where my shed is going to go. 

So a wee bit to do through the winter! 

Edited by biffer

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

You're not visiting the right gardens. Mental at nights here especially when the slugs join in the tequila challenge, they always lose at the salt bit though.😛 

What sort of spider is this?!! Came out from the fireplace.

s33jpw.jpg

Edited by Bobster

17 minutes ago, Bobster said:

What sort of spider is this?!! Came out from the fireplace.

s33jpw.jpg

If it’s real my advice is to brick up the fireplace. 🙈

Legs look as if they’re made of pipe cleaners. I suspect daughter number 5 made it. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I came back from Slovenia to find my garden had sprouted 3 empty bottles of buckfast, 4 fag packets, 7 cans of Dragon soop and a space hopper. 

There is now a daughter fermenting under the patio. 

Not forgetting Superbrew in shower room. Photo still making me laugh. 😆

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

If it’s real my advice is to brick up the fireplace. 🙈

Legs look as if they’re made of pipe cleaners. I suspect daughter number 5 made it. 

:) 

Why daughter’s? I’m guessing you’re thinking they like rabbits and their crusts cut off their toast?!  

Anyway, they’re not the spider’s legs. Well, they are, but they’re covered in ash from the fireplace so probably just a normal house spider.

I hope.

1 hour ago, Bobster said:

:) 

Why daughter’s? I’m guessing you’re thinking they like rabbits and their crusts cut off their toast?!  

Anyway, they’re not the spider’s legs. Well, they are, but they’re covered in ash from the fireplace so probably just a normal house spider.

I hope.

Because they’re my profiles and  I decided daughters. Wait till we get on to your eldests foray into lap dancing! 🙂

Back to spider, I think it’s a missing sector orb spider. Difficult to zoom in without blurring but body looks similar. 

Edited by G-Man

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Because they’re my profiles and  I decided daughters. Wait till we get on to your eldests foray into lap dancing! 🙂

Back to spider, I think it’s a missing sector orb spider. Difficult to zoom in without blurring but body looks similar. 

Or a Spider from Mars, or Bobster, is it from Uranus ?

10 hours ago, fringo said:

That could be where it is heading for? Spiders like to crawl into orifices. Some folk got paid to do a study a few years ago. They reckon that on average, over our lifetimes, we will consume about 7 spiders as they like to wait until we are asleep then crawl into our open mouths, nostrils and other places. Sometimes they don't come back out again.

14 hours ago, G-Man said:

I think it’s a missing sector orb spider. Difficult to zoom in without blurring but body looks similar. 

13 hours ago, fringo said:

You could both be right.

The Missing Sector Orb spider, also known as Zygiellall x-notata is usually seen outdoors but prefers warmth and can often be found in small dark cracks. :yikes3:

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

That could be where it is heading for? Spiders like to crawl into orifices. Some folk got paid to do a study a few years ago. They reckon that on average, over our lifetimes, we will consume about 7 spiders as they like to wait until we are asleep then crawl into our open mouths, nostrils and other places. Sometimes they don't come back out again.

https://www.thoughtco.com/do-we-swallow-spiders-while-sleeping-1968376

Altgough I’ve since read that there never was a Lisa Holst article and this myth grew some other way.