Going vegan. - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Don't have a problem eating meat, although as I have got older I have tried convincing myself that the animal / beast i'm dining on has had a stress-free life & was slaughtered humanely (if such a thing exists)

Will always be a meat eater though !!

On 10/9/2017 at 0:44 AM, McExpat said:

Apparently the amount of people following a plant based diet in the UK has more than trebled in the last decade as awareness of the problems posed by the meat industry raise. 

Netflix has some good documentaries that explore plant based diets from both the perspective of health and the health of the planet.

The following site provides a list of impressive athletes that follow a vegan diet, dispelling some of the purported stereotypes.
http://www.greatveganathletes.com/athletes 

Lewis Hamilton and Jermaine Defoe joined those listed this year, as did some famous American sport stars i'm told but due to not having an interest in Grid Iron I don't recall their names. Apparently the NBA also has a number of vegan athletes

Not sure why you put up a list, considering every other sports star (and a much more impressive list) is a meat eater. If i were wanting to pursue an athletic career the information provided in this context would show that meat eaters do much better in Atheltic pursuits than Vegans.

1 hour ago, McExpat said:

For people to look at, just like you did!

The information provided does not show as you have suggested. There is not an equal amount of vegans competing, therefore it is not indicative of meat eaters do better than vegans full stop. 

I'm talking elite level. For instance the only elite athlete named in the entire list is Carl Lewis, and he failed 3 drug test in 1988 that were covered up. 

It Cites Heather Mills (Paul McCartney's wife) as one of those "impressive" athletes who practiced her sport for a whole year to be the best at it, which suggest it's not elite level sports we're talking about.

You can be Vegan and competitive. I watch a lot of MMA and you have a variety of Vegan and Vegetarian competitors. You'll need to supplement your creatine though or you'll lose cognitive functions and muscle creatine for energy.

• 2 months later...

So London Zoo has a bit of a fire and they're reporting it like a normal fire, 1 aardvark dead, several meerkats missing, later confirmed dead. So I'm thinking that's a bit sad but for fcuks sake it's only an aardvark and some meerkats there must be loads of them chill oot.

Quick google, 500,000 meerkats worlwide, aardvarks not countable (presumably less than 500,000), people 7.6 billion. Is that right?, makes ya think.

12 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

So London Zoo has a bit of a fire and they're reporting it like a normal fire, 1 aardvark dead, several meerkats missing, later confirmed dead. So I'm thinking that's a bit sad but for fcuks sake it's only an aardvark and some meerkats there must be loads of them chill oot.

Quick google, 500,000 meerkats worlwide, aardvarks not countable (presumably less than 500,000), people 7.6 billion. Is that right?, makes ya think.

Interesting that you put this in the "vegan" thread. Are you thinking about having roast aardvark for xmas dinner? Might be tasty.

Not sure why people get so annoyed at vegetarians and vegans. We all make choices about what to eat and not to eat. If you buy free range eggs because you think the chickens are happier - and feel better for doing so - what's wrong with those who choose to go a step further and stop eating chickens?

It's a personal thing here you draw the line - if meat's ok, and we evolved to eat it, fine, but would you eat dog,... cat... monkey... human?

I have been considering moving to a veggie diet due to health reasons. I don't think that I could go Vegan because of my love of milk and cheese, I have tried some of the vegan cheeses and the consistency is just not right.

I also spotted this in Glasgow on Saturday, a place called Rose and Grants on the Trongate

nsqY07VPSp3wYsjz_fWiWyIfeRkSSBtplm8_s_wv

34 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

My second “vegan” Christmas. Different this year with the scolding Queensland heat. Tofu meatballs and falafel etc. magic. 

Falafel is the absolute bollocks. There used to be a middle eastern supermarket about 30 yards from my front door in Shepherds Bush and they used to dish up fresh falafel every half hour or so and you could 6 for about a quid, nice and hot as well, f u cking magic. There is a wee street food falafel vendor on Hope Street in town now which I will be giving a try ASAP.

On 25/12/2017 at 10:55 AM, Mox said:

Falafel is the absolute bollocks. There used to be a middle eastern supermarket about 30 yards from my front door in Shepherds Bush and they used to dish up fresh falafel every half hour or so and you could 6 for about a quid, nice and hot as well, f u cking magic. There is a wee street food falafel vendor on Hope Street in town now which I will be giving a try ASAP.

Great wee place, delicious falafel and guy who owns it is a lovely man. 

• 2 weeks later...