Going vegan. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Too busy eating plastic fivers....

Aye, it must be difficult being a strict vegan. Even if plastic money didn't contain animal fat, if they believe that fossil fuels were made from the remains of dead animals, then they are going to struggle a wee bit. Maybe it's OK if they died millions of years ago? 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Why do so many non-vegans always have to have a pop at vegans? They're no better than the vegans who always go on about it and preach. 

Who is claiming to be better?

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Vegans are just better people. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Why do so many non-vegans always have to have a pop at vegans? They're no better than the vegans who always go on about it and preach. 

Probably sensing the barely hidden delusions of ethical supremacy, that shines through a lot of the literature or speech.

Vegan evangelicals with not an iota of irony muse if their "lifestyle" is not the most "ethical" way to live.

Just do a google search of vegan and ethical and read the participants.

I'd like to be a vegetarian, but eat a lot of chicken or fish, would find it very hard to give either up. 

Theres a lot of self righteous people proclaiming, that being vegan/vegetarian makes them a better person. It's quite irritating at the best of times. 

Apparently the amount of people following a plant based diet in the UK has more than trebled in the last decade as awareness of the problems posed by the meat industry raise. 

Netflix has some good documentaries that explore plant based diets from both the perspective of health and the health of the planet.

The following site provides a list of impressive athletes that follow a vegan diet, dispelling some of the purported stereotypes.
http://www.greatveganathletes.com/athletes 

Lewis Hamilton and Jermaine Defoe joined those listed this year, as did some famous American sport stars i'm told but due to not having an interest in Grid Iron I don't recall their names. Apparently the NBA also has a number of vegan athletes

I agree the factory farm food is wrong.  I don't believe there is any need for the amount of 'choice' we have nowadays of what we can eat either.  Other than ego and want is it really necessary to eat meat every day? No.  

On the other hand, it's clear we need enough nutrients for a healthy life.  Like everything else, moderation.  

When did everyone start becoming vegan rather than vegetarian by the way? 

Vegans in the 90s were oddballs

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Ps

Read recently there are now serious efforts being made to create animal cell created meat slabs.

No animal will be "killed". Just slabs of meat created in a test tube.  Would you eat it??  Does this solve vegetarians moral issie or is this opening up larger ones

Depends on how healthy it was. 

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I agree the factory farm food is wrong.  I don't believe there is any need for the amount of 'choice' we have nowadays of what we can eat either.  Other than ego and want is it really necessary to eat meat every day? No.  

On the other hand, it's clear we need enough nutrients for a healthy life.  Like everything else, moderation.  

When did everyone start becoming vegan rather than vegetarian by the way? 

Vegans in the 90s were oddballs

Vegan and vegetarian diets have all the nutrients you need for a healthy diet in theory, although it’s easy enough to live on junk food with both as well.