Goodbye Runrig 1973-2018 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goodbye Runrig 1973-2018

On 9/27/2017 at 9:43 AM, euan2020 said:

I remember it being one of the central things taught in scottish history - this was circa 82-83 - Scottish History was covered in 3rd year - probably the year when the fools had me in CSE class for 6 months 

We must be about the same age.

All makes sense now thinking back as I dropped history end of second year (i think). My brilliant teenage logic at the time was...it was memory intensive i.e too many dates and names in a certain order that had to be learned rote fashion whereas say Geography as a subject made much more intuitive sense and shit could be remembered so much easier as a result. Run rig but.. Nice system.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Tickets sold out in no time, never got a ticket, a bit gutted 

Go on to the Runrig website and there's a link to a Danish site and tickets have still been available through it - got myself 3 about an hour ago - turn on google translate.

35 minutes ago, Debian said:

Managed to bag a whack on the o2 Priority presale and then sell them straight on for 6 times as much. 

Easy money. 

That’s no fair on the real fans who want tickets by doing that so I guess that you would do that on here with fitba tickets if so it’s wrong 

58 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

That’s no fair on the real fans who want tickets by doing that so I guess that you would do that on here with fitba tickets if so it’s wrong 

Never sell a brief to an event you're going to for greater than face value. 

The way I see it, is Runrig fans weren't fast enough ? Over £2k profit for less than a half hours work. 

• 10 months later...

Brilliant performance from runrig yesterday, donnie munroe, julie fowlis also making an appearance, absolutely brilliant and really sad at the end, I actually had a tear in my eye! Even folk who never liked their music must appreciate what they have done and stood for,, farewell runrig its been a blast 😢 

aaid if you don't like it no-one is forcing you to comment.

Went up to Stirling overnight on Thursday, saw the penultimate gig as I couldn't get tickets for Saturday and got the sleeper back to Kings Cross and there were people who came from a lot further afield than me, most of the front rows seemed to be German or Danish. Again like hampden loon very mixed emotions, sad that I'll never see them live again but a great gig and support from Julie Fowlis and Donnie Munro.  Amazing when Rory Macdonald introduces a song and says I wrote this one 50 years ago!

They are massive in Germany. I mind when I was in Suttgart and when I got speaking to folk about trad music etc, Runrig would always come up. 

I think they are half decent, and have a few records. I was never a massive fan, but certainly can appreciate their music and also what they did for the Gaelic language. 

Lots of varying flags in the concert yesterday, danish, norwegian, nova scotian, austrian,english, german, there was even a saltaire with a union jack on a pole which was not up for long which is not surprising considering the bands political persuasion they should have had more sense TBH.

the band have had a wide fan base from all over the world, the screen set up yesterday was brilliant, showed photos throughout the the band 45 year history from local town halls to concerts in america and europe, interesting to see past band members aswell, very emotional qand a brilliant venue

I admire them as people and as being able to please their fans, but I have never heard a single song by them I liked, or even found memorable, and, yes, I have seen them live (more than once, always at festivals admittedly).

The brought 8 million pounds into ma hame toun, so I love them for that!

• 5 years later...