Strangest Celebrity Sightings - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strangest Celebrity Sightings

Not particularly strange, but I was once eating a steak in a Cairo restaurant when Catherine Deneuve walked in and took the table next to us. I just gawped.

And one that was more strange though not perhaps as celeb: was watching a jazz combo in a dark cellar-club in a Slovak town and noticed from the flyer that the pianist was called Romano Mussolini. "Poor sod," I thought, "Fancy being lumbered with that surname." When the band leader, Oscar Klein, name-checked the group at the end he said, "It surprises some people that an Austrian Jew should be playing in a band with a son of Il Duce ...". Ended the evening having a few drinks with Romano at the bar. Couldn't get the image of his dad hanging upside down from a lamppost out of my head as we chatted. Very good pianist. Dead now.

Met the boy who plays Lip in Shameless in London when we were down playing Fulham in Gordon Strachan's first game in charge. Also met that Leilani burd who poses for page 3 at the game.

So to answer your question, I haven't actually met any celebrities.

7 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

My family had just moved out of town and so I was starting a new school - a tiny two-classroom job a few miles out of Donny.

I was 9 but in the same room as those who were going on 12. One of the old kids was a lanky, frizzy haired lad. "Avoid him," said the nipper who'd been assigned to be my 'buddy' (as it wasn't called then), "His name's Jeremy Clarkson and he's a right twat."

? for the Clarkson story.

?  I thought your name was actually Donny .

I once met Colin Calderwood (think he was manager at Nottingham Forest at the time ? ) at Stansted airport ( I was on my way to meet my girlfriend who lived in Suffolk ) and asked him for a pic . 

He tried to make a sharp exit , when in my haste I pulled a bottle of strawberry massage oil out of my bag instead of my camera ! He did pose eventually though and seemed a decent bloke .

Was in Barcelona with work (jolly) and met Owen Coyle at reception 

1 of the current Springboks should have been at my wedding 18 months ago, but wife did not want all her family fawning over him 

Know a couple of the current springboks, because we went to same small bar before they progressed in the team - down to earth nice guys who always greet you - 

I guess a lof of the guys should be saying Rod Stewart - he was hanging out with his buddies in Bordeaux in 98 - club owner Ricky SImpson was with him, and guys we knew - could have spoke to him, but he was on hols same as everyone else so needed peace

Actually Andy Rhodes was in Bordeaux as well, watching the games on the TV with all the Scots fans at Irish bar- no doubt Jordan was with him as well in his Scotland top 

Edited by euan2020

7 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Not particularly strange, but I was once eating a steak in a Cairo restaurant when Catherine Deneuve walked in and took the table next to us. I just gawped.

And one that was more strange though not perhaps as celeb: was watching a jazz combo in a dark cellar-club in a Slovak town and noticed from the flyer that the pianist was called Romano Mussolini. "Poor sod," I thought, "Fancy being lumbered with that surname." When the band leader, Oscar Klein, name-checked the group at the end he said, "It surprises some people that an Austrian Jew should be playing in a band with a son of Il Duce ...". Ended the evening having a few drinks with Romano at the bar. Couldn't get the image of his dad hanging upside down from a lamppost out of my head as we chatted. Very good pianist. Dead now.

Was Catherine Deneuve as beautiful in the flesh as she is on the screen?

Moving this thread onto relatives of famous fascists I've met.   In 2006 I met one of Herman Goering's grand nephews, Old Herman and his grandfather were brothers, quite a bit as he was a friend of a former Tamber friend of mine.   He was an Australiian working in London at the time, his grandfather had moved to Australia in the 1930s.   He told a very funny story about going to visit relatives in Germany who were going on about the 'Good old days'.

13 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Saw the late Gerard Kelly in HMV in Glasgow many years ago.

If he was already "the late Gerard Kelly" then that would be quite strange. But, I suspect it might be more mundane than that, unless HMV were selling scud mags at the time?

9 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Even if not a celebrity amazing story. (I've no idea why but when I was young, 12 or 13, I was obsessed with Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini's son in law.)

And to repeat aaid's question, was Catherine Deneuve as beautiful and full of grace as I imagine she is? 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Moving this thread onto relatives of famous fascists I've met.   In 2006 I met one of Herman Goering's grand nephews, Old Herman and his grandfather were brothers, quite a bit as he was a friend of a former Tamber friend of mine.   He was an Australiian working in London at the time, his grandfather had moved to Australia in the 1930s.   He told a very funny story about going to visit relatives in Germany who were going on about the 'Good old days'.

I'm sure it's my reading of the story but can you sort out my confusion, who was a friend of a tamber and was it him or Goerring's grandson who was Australian  and visited relatives? 

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Even if not a celebrity amazing story. (I've no idea why but when I was young, 12 or 13, I was obsessed with Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini's son in law.)

And to repeat aaid's question, was Catherine Deneuve as beautiful and full of grace as I imagine she is? 

I'm sure it's my reading of the story but can you sort out my confusion, who was a friend of a tamber and was it him or Goerring's grandson who was Australian  and visited relatives? 

Goering's grandson is Australian, our mutual friend is a former TAMBer.  

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's hard to see how that can be beaten.:ok:

True - that's a cracker (pity it was a mate who witnessed it). Still, Toepoke's Rainbow experiences are pretty special too. The man's lived.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Bearing in mind that this would've been the latter half of the '80s, so closer to The Hunger-vintage Catherine than Belle de Jour, but yes, she was striking.

Edit: Amazing what you can find on Youtube - Romano's featured dropping his stuff around 3:20 ...

Edited by DonnyTJS

3 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

On the way back from the Italy game in Malta I flew bk via Standstead. Met Ricky Burns on the stairs up to the Ryanair plane. Absolute gent, pitty his boxing career went to fek.

He fought for a world title in his last fight, 6 months ago... :unsure: 

9 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

True - that's a cracker (pity it was a mate who witnessed it). Still, Toepoke's Rainbow experiences are pretty special too. The man's lived.

Ah, right, That minor discrepancy had escaped my notice. I might have to disqualify him for that. Lets see what happens in the rest of the thread. 

This thread is starting to make me fele like I am Greg Davies in an episode of Taskmaster.

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

Goering's grandson is Australian, our mutual friend is a former TAMBer.  

Thanks aaid. 

23 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

Bearing in mind that this would've been the latter half of the '80s, so closer to The Hunger-vintage Catherine than Belle de Jour, but yes, she was striking.

Edit: Amazing what you can find on Youtube - Romano's featured dropping his stuff around 3:20 ...

Thanks Donny. I know nothing about musical expertise but I thought he sounded great. Loved his hat. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Ah, right, That minor discrepancy had escaped my notice. I might have to disqualify him for that.

Booo! My mate can't even register for here now.

Ok, I was at a gig in the Cathouse in Glasgow about 20 years ago and found myself standing next to Norm from Cheers.

28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Booo! My mate can't even register for here now.

Ok, I was at a gig in the Cathouse in Glasgow about 20 years ago and found myself standing next to Norm from Cheers.

you need to tel Colin that story..... he will buy you beer for the rest of your life.......