No more Ryanair for me - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

No more Ryanair for me

2 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

I'll still fly with them. I like O'Leary, think he quite bullishly defends their business model. They are a no frills airline yet middle aged keyboard warriors on social media expect a BA type customer service experience for £9.99. 

No frills like flying me home.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Never had any issues with Ryanair. Had the odd minimal delay but nothing major. I have however had lengthy delays with BA and have major issues with KLM

For what Ryanair charge, in my experience they are a fantastic airline as are EasyJet

Easyjet are fine until you have problems - like getting compensation for canceled flights - then a complete nightmare.

Treated people at Edi at the time of cancellation like shite, including families with very young kids and refused to find them any accommodation. 

Shocking attitude to what was EU regulations.

I'm in Valencia at the moment £20 with Ryanair from Edinburgh, a taxi to the airport would be more expensive. Must have used them and easyjet over a hundred times with no hassle (with not being allowed on the plane for the game in Prague being the exception). I'm not really sure what people expect on a flight than costs about the price of a round of drinks in Edinburgh

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I'm in Valencia at the moment £20 with Ryanair from Edinburgh, a taxi to the airport would be more expensive. Must have used them and easyjet over a hundred times with no hassle (with not being allowed on the plane for the game in Prague being the exception). I'm not really sure what people expect on a flight than costs about the price of a round of drinks in Edinburgh

Spot on 

What was the problem with the Prague flight?

On 9/28/2017 at 8:14 AM, Parklife said:

Seriously? In 6 months this will pretty much be forgotten and everyone will be booking their £30 return flights again. 

:lol: very true! Although the moaning will be about getting to Edinburgh airport, Ryanair's new Scots hub.

I've never had a problem with them. Don't use them regularly, but do fly with them occasionally. Same with Easyjet - never had a problem apart from the odd 1-2 hr delay.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

If only the Unionist parties hadn't conspired to delay the devolution of Air Passenger Duty eh

Aye spot on. APD is different in Edinburgh compared to Glasgow...... They are shifting like for like.  Nothing to do with APD.

3 hours ago, Mox said:

Glasgow Airport is atrocious and the choice of destinations for a city of our size is ridiculous. Edinburgh has much greater choice and this decision by Ryanair will only enforce that.

I used to fly weekly with work for and found Glasgow a good airport. Prefer it to Edinburgh.  Security is better and Edinburgh has arriving and departing passengers mixing which can make it manic.  Agree destination choice could be better but its supply and demand.  Maybe in an ideal world 1 airport for Central Scotland would suffice.

5 minutes ago, Alan said:

Aye spot on. APD is different in Edinburgh compared to Glasgow...... They are shifting like for like.  Nothing to do with APD.

Chief commercial officer David O'Brien blamed the change on the cost of air passenger duty and said Glasgow "simply could not bear the burden".

A spokesman for the airport said there was "no doubt" that the failure to replace air passenger duty (APD) with a cheaper air departure tax (ADT) in Scotland was behind the move.

Ryanair's view is that Glasgow's market sustains lower prices and delivers tighter margins, so the impact of flat-rate ADT is proportionately larger than in Edinburgh.

APD is the same in both airports isnt it? Its measured in distance from London, so all UK airports have the APD, well thats my understanding of it.

Why is Edinburgh viable, but Glasgow isnt, it sounds like absolute bollocks to me. I dont have an issue with Ryanair, but you cant trust anything they say.

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

APD is the same in both airports isnt it? Its measured in distance from London, so all UK airports have the APD, well thats my understanding of it.

Why is Edinburgh viable, but Glasgow isnt, it sounds like absolute bollocks to me. I dont have an issue with Ryanair, but you cant trust anything they say.

I think its explained above that the pricing in Edinburgh is better, so the APD which is a fixed cost,  does not have the same impact on EDI flights 

And I think its shite. Its a cost that is paid by the customer, and is passed on fully by Ryanair, so it wont affect their margins.

Its £13, so even if the Scottish Government reduced it by half, its a pittance. I just wouldnt trust anything Ryanair say.

11 minutes ago, kumnio said:

And I think its shite. Its a cost that is paid by the customer, and is passed on fully by Ryanair, so it wont affect their margins.

Its £13, so even if the Scottish Government reduced it by half, its a pittance. I just wouldnt trust anything Ryanair say.

I think what they were trying to say - is that the price including the APD impacted customers more in Glasgow, than Edinburgh = Edinburgh customers willing to pay higher prices   

49 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Excellent news. 

Its hilarious the folk who go mental at Ryanair and their business activities. Folk expect business class treatment for their £60 return flights. Fucking tools.

I take it you don't mean me as I didn't expect business class.   I don't however expect to be shafted at any price.   And it was a lot more than £60.

Regarding APD, is that not a line being spun by some people with a vested interest?  Did Ryanair not say that the reason for dropping Glasgow was Briexit?  That was in the media a few days ago.  But hey, let's sit back and watch the BBC spin it as all being the fault of the SNP as usual.