Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events

14 minutes ago, Mox said:

The spanish lads have handled the whole thing terribly, no dialogue with Catalonia and excessive use of force today will do nothing but strenghten the Catalan position.

There was a vote (which seems to have been illegal) - so what ? Just ignore it.

OR...

Attack voters and confiscate ballot boxes ?

It's all blind force in the end, they hide behind it with structures like "law" "justice", but end of the day you do something the government doesn't want it will just physically force it, if they can't trick you to concede onĀ  your own.

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Meanwhile scenes in Madrid...

Ā 

Where was this taken from? Is it really today? There was, apparently,Ā  a demonstration in the Puerta del Sol in Madrid in favour of freedom of speech and right for Catalans and others to vote.

2 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

On the BBC website now. Not good is it.

Nope

Took them over 9 hours ..better late than never i suppose ...

Even the Daily Express have put it up on their site emphasising how not good

Some of the comments on twitter from Unionists have to be seen to be believed

Catalan President Carles Puigdemont has made a televised broadcast. He finished off saying that today the Catalan people have earned their right to an independent state, a Republic.

Ā 

Ā 

He has now clearly prepared the way for the Declaration of Independence in the Catalan Parliament when the results of the referendum are read out in a couple of days time.

This is now really happening. I hope the Scottish Government can be the first to recognise their Independence.

90% is the declared Yes vote with over 2 million managing to beat the Fascist crackdown and get their votes in.

Proclamation of Independence WILL now follow. I hope Nicola can be their in person when that Proclamation happens and be the first to recognise the Republic of Catalonia.

The bravery of the Catalan people today is to be applauded in the highest possible way. Full total solidarity with them

A further 700,000 votes are estimated to have been seized by Spanish national police and were not able to be counted therefore...turnout therefore much higher.Ā 

Ā 

Remarkable Lady, Neus Catala.

Please read up on her. 102 years old. Survived Nazi concentration camp.

Voted today for Independence for Catalonia. Her story is astonishing.

55 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

90% is the declared Yes vote with over 2 million managing to beat the Fascist crackdown and get their votes in.

Proclamation of Independence WILL now follow. I hope Nicola can be their in person when that Proclamation happens and be the first to recognise the Republic of Catalonia.

The bravery of the Catalan people today is to be applauded in the highest possible way. Full total solidarity with them

90% is a bit misleading as the vast bulk of people who don't want Independence were boycotting the referendum in an attempt to delegitimise it. Ā  I think the clincher will be if they can get anywhere close to 50% of the electorate voting Si. Ā I think they might fall short especially with the seized ballot papers.

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

90% is a bit misleading as the vast bulk of people who don't want Independence were boycotting the referendum in an attempt to delegitimise it. Ā  I think the clincher will be if they can get anywhere close to 50% of the electorate voting Si. Ā I think they might fall short especially with the seized ballot papers.

It'll be interesting to see how it measures up to our Yes vote of 38% of the electorate.

Ā