Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events

• 10 months later...
32 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The sentences handed out this week is an absolute disgrace. There has to be massive civil disobedience as a result. 

There will be mate.. they’re up in arms. One woman was jailed for 9 months for chairing a debate! Apparently the chief of the guardia civil made a speech last week warning of repercussions for any disobedience when sentences were announced this morning. My Catalan friend described it as a “war like” speech. But yeah, there’ll be mass protests and disobedience from today. Starting with the airport apparently...

The British State is now firmly aligned with a Fascist State. My grandfather  and grand uncles will be turning in their graves having fought against that in WW2. No voters should hing thier heids in shame. The Brit State is a disgrace. 

Edited by IainMore
Incomplete post.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:14 AM, Alibi said:

The upcoming El Classico is going to be a powder keg.

La Liga requesting the Spanish FA to switch the El Clasico to the Bernabeu due to the situation and mass demonstration planned for the day the game is supposed to be played in Barcelona.

Bloody typical. I've got flights and hotel booked for the game. 😂

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is there a higher percentage of support for Catalan independence among Barca fans or is it lower or the same as the general population of Catalonia?

Much higher, Espanyol is seen as the Spanish club. The Spanish Government and Police response has been completely over the top, they should be getting criticised across the world.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Much higher, Espanyol is seen as the Spanish club. The Spanish Government and Police response has been completely over the top, they should be getting criticised across the world.

It's a disgrace, if we get independence then I couldn't be fucked if we get in the EU or not. They have spoken very little about the treatment of catalans and couldn't give a shit.

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's a disgrace, if we get independence then I couldn't be fucked if we get in the EU or not. They have spoken very little about the treatment of catalans and couldn't give a shit.

Spain, it seems obvious to me, are in breach of the EU's founding principals of  “respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law, and respect for human rights”.

I fully expect the UK government to press the EU on this :um-no:

Today's National.

https://www.gearoidocolmain.org/catalan-independence-tool-capital-labour/

“It is time to divide the Spanish proletariat by turning Spain’s nationalities into fake ‘nations’ fully under the control of a corporate European super-state. After Catalonia, more will follow. The European Union is quietly watching as Spain is torn apart.”

48 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

“It is time to divide the Spanish proletariat by turning Spain’s nationalities into fake ‘nations’ fully under the control of a corporate European super-state. After Catalonia, more will follow. The European Union is quietly watching as Spain is torn apart.”

That's some shit you are smoking there ....

There is insidious political goings on for sure but i'd be confident it's not as out there as that

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's some shit you are smoking there ....

There is insidious political goings on for sure but i'd be confident it's not as out there as that

I don’t share the article claiming it’s 100% accurate but its not impossible. O’Colmain has an interesting way of viewing geo politics. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:23 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

lol

sometimes you just have to sit back and be interested in how peole can be so out of step rather than even attempt to engage.  there's folk that would contrary themselves inside out if they could.

aye, the EU have really quietly helped catalan self determination right enough over the last few years...😳

53 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

lol

sometimes you just have to sit back and be interested in how peole can be so out of step rather than even attempt to engage.  there's folk that would contrary themselves inside out if they could.

aye, the EU have really quietly helped catalan self determination right enough over the last few years...😳

The EU will be perfectly aware of the likelihood of the Spanish economy imploding in the event of a Catalan break away, something they can ill afford. Hence them remaining rather quiet on events. 

2 hours ago, slasher said:

The EU will be perfectly aware of the likelihood of the Spanish economy imploding in the event of a Catalan break away, something they can ill afford. Hence them remaining rather quiet on events. 

They are hardly staying quiet on events. They have actively encouraged the Spanish fascists.

11 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

lol

Not everything is so black and white and out in the open in politics.

Where is the ever so wonderful EU when it comes to condemning these attacks by the police, such as where is the condemnation of the treatment of the french protesters being beaten on a weekly basis every week for the past year?

Not to worry, wee nic will have it covered

Edited by Fearghal O’Flaherty

21 hours ago, slasher said:

there are humpteen reasons the EU haven't said anything; spanish economy possibly one of them , another simply that the pros don't outweigh the cons in their view.

i'm still like laughing out loud that it might be because they secretly want independence to happen though.