Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Catalonia & the UK media blackout of events

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Any notion of a free press is a delusion.Ā 

Yeah

But this is something quite insidious

If what is happening in Catalonia right now was happening say in Turkey would it be completely ignored ?

Are favours being called in for the Spanish "interventions" in 2014 ?

15 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yeah

But this is something quite insidious

If what is happening in Catalonia right now was happening say in Turkey would it be completely ignored ?

Are favours being called in for the Spanish "interventions" in 2014 ?

You could probably look at any political eventĀ in the past 100 years and find that the mainstream media have lied, ignored or distorted the truth.

21 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

So lets see how this internet thing works, bbc news, click, world tab, click, Catalonia referendum, click. Christ you're right how's any average man in the street meant to fathom that out, it's like a fckin police state.

Spain has threatened to seize Catalan finances in the next 48 hours

700 mayors summoned to court for supporting the referendum

Spanish police raid printing firms searching for referendum material

Civil Guards have been sent from Madrid to intimidate citizens

Spanish police enter Newspaper head office and identify pro independence journalists

Spanish prosecutors order police to confiscate pro referendum posters

Internet now being censored in Catalonia

Not headline news ?

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Ally Bongo

4 minutes ago, Alan said:

Think the London tube bombing was black ops for news coverage.

"Stormzy at judge's house in X factor" still made it to the main news page as did "Hodgson's first Palace game"

Both are clearly more important than the subversion of democracy in a European country

This really is a massive event going on. Both the self determination of the Catalan people and the disgusting (and fascist) repression of that democracy.

I hope the SNP can protest in Westminster and outside in the most vociferous way. And of course anyone else too. Scotland should especially be standing shoulder to shoulder with the Catalans right now.

This is especially dear to me heart as my daughter-in-law is Catalan. Her family are strongly pro independence.

Ā 

16 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

Er ... you're looking at the UK page, which is where Catalonia isn't. Europe & World have it.

To be fair the home page of the bbc doesn't cover it either, but it does cover other world news.

This is on the home page, for now at least anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41297143

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Not sure why a regional election in Spain would be headline news in the UK. However it certainly was covered on the BBC news channel yesterday. Interestingly support for independence is dropping according to recent polls.

It's a bit more important than a regional election tbf. Ā  I'm not expecting it to be the lead story but you would expect somethingĀ on the news, especially given the amount of coverage on Myanmar - which is also important.

Good to see the Scottish Government making a statement supporting the Catalan's right to decide their future.

The most recent poll on Independence - unless I've missed one since - published by Survation showed a three point increase in support for Independence, up to 46%.Ā 

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's a bit more important than a regional election tbf. Ā  I'm not expecting it to be the lead story but you would expect somethingĀ on the news, especially given the amount of coverage on Myanmar - which is also important.

Ā 

Typically on here , pedantry, sarcasm and playing the man rather than the ball won the day

Ā 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Typically on here , pedantry, sarcasm and playing the man rather than the ball won the day

Ā 

I'll take the sarcasm hit. However if you'd just said that the Catalonia ref wasn't getting much coverage then fair enough.Ā  But banging on about 'media blackouts and the so called free press' is a bit over the top.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Curious that Corbyn, McDonnell and the assorted British left are very quiet about this.

Freedom for Palestine, Ireland, Tibet, Tamil Eelam, East Timor gets the thumbs up

But freedom for Catalonia, Scotland,Ā Euskadi and Wales -Ā no fawking way !

Sad.

I see your point but you can't begin to even compare what's happening in Palestine and what happened in East Timor with Catalonia and Scotland.Ā