Can we come up with some new Chants/Songs - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Can we come up with some new Chants/Songs

GordyA88

New songs are much required.  

To think that folk used to complain about Doe a Deer! 

Now all we get is 'No Scotland No party'  .... pile of crap! I'm sure everyone at the Euros and World Cups manage just fine without us there .

The sooner that song dies away  the better, and the equally crap 'Everywhere we go' can get added to that list as well. 

For the size of support we have it would be great if we could come up with some decent new songs. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It is a good tune but the all British Army pish in it simply has to be removed.

The lyrics should be rewritten to be about Scotland national team and the fans.

22 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If I'm thinking of the same song then Celtic (ironically) have a version.

"I'm coming home Glasgow Celtic, I'm coming to you" etc

We always sing it on away days and replace "Glasgow Celtic" with "Bonnie Scotland" but nobody joins in.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Army bit is only the last verse the rest is very patriotic. Just need to get rid of the word queen and you've cracked it 

The army bit should still go.

It's a celebration of being a Private Jock MacGlashan VC of the Royal Highland Cannon Fodder and really doesn't sit well with to many people. It's best done away with altogether, that and the stuff about Mrs Windsor.

It's still a very good tune that a half-decent wordsmith could turn into a song about following Scotland through the years, the great players, memorable moments and all that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Reevesy said:

If I'm thinking of the same song then Celtic (ironically) have a version.

"I'm coming home Glasgow Celtic, I'm coming to you" etc

We always sing it on away days and replace "Glasgow Celtic" with "Bonnie Scotland" but nobody joins in.

I think I know that one - "I've been away where the Rockies proudly stand, I've crossed the Mississippi and the Rio Grande ....." 

It's quite an "old school" song. There's a few other teams in Scotland and England that have their own versions of it.

A Scotland song might be crafted around it. 

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Chant Alba.

"Al-a-pa, Al-a-pa (clap x2) Al-a-pa, Al-a-pa"

It would be good to hear some Gàidhlig. It would also annoy the anti-Gàidhlig bigots.

A song to annoy your fellow supporters???

Hey wee man wi the big stick in yer hand wont you play a simple melody?
Just to remind me o' the girl I left behind me wont you play a simple melody?
For ahm comin' back Bonnie Mary ahm comin home to you
Ahm comin back in the good old summer time
When the bagpipes are playin for auld lang syne
And we'll roam the hills together
Among the purple heather
Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.

For we held a grand procession as we marched before the Queen
Ten thousand kilted warriors - the likes ye've never seen
At first they thought we were Zulus from the lands beyond the Nile
Until they heard us singin' Bonnie Mary o' Argyll
For we're a' Scotsmen everyone a Scotsman
Buffalo Bill frae Mary Hill
Never worked and never will
Aye man believe it if ye can
There was Hielan Jocks
In tartan socks
Scotsmen Every wan. 

That's a song about being Scottish proud to be Scottish wanting to return to Scotland and respect for everything Scottish. The only problem is the first line of the second verse which me and you will never agree on, but it must be possible to replace queen and seen with two other words that rhyme  and would fit with the Scotland support. It is a very easy song to sing and a great song to march to.

The death of singing at football is very interesting. It runs very deep this change. Very emblematic of 'changes' in society in general. There is no cultural cohesiveness anymore, no common identity. We have been completely fractured, splintered. No surprises all the singing dried up...

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

2 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The death of singing at football is very interesting. It runs very deep this change. Very emblematic of 'changes' in society in general. There is no cultural cohesiveness anymore, no common identity. We have been completely fractured, splintered. No surprises all the singing dried up...

I think that this applies to Scotland more than any other country, a percentage hating what we were another hating what we are and everyone hating what we might become.

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's a song about being Scottish proud to be Scottish wanting to return to Scotland and respect for everything Scottish. The only problem is the first line of the second verse which me and you will never agree on, but it must be possible to replace queen and seen with two other words that rhyme  and would fit with the Scotland support. It is a very easy song to sing and a great song to march to.

No, it's about being proud of being a Private Jock MacGlashan VC of the Royal Highland Cannon Fodder. Someone who is happy to wear a silly uniform, uphold stupid traditions, bully people with skin darker than ours and blindly accept authority.

Not for me. Time to do away with all that pish.

For all the folk moaning about s**te songs, don't sing along if that's how you feel. I would agree that it is a bit repetitive, I would think there are a lot of folk who don't want to start a new chant surrounded by thousands in case they don't join in and you feel a bit of a fud. I'm not one for starting chants/songs at games but I have been known to join in, even to the sh**e ones, especially after a few refreshments!!! :lol::lol:

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed, worst games for atmosphere IMO are when it's the folk that never miss a game that make up the support.

When it's the folk that never miss a game that make up the support there are typically about 15,000 - 20,000 inside Hampden.

No amount of singing would create an atmosphere in that situation. I'd prefer to blame the people that didn't bother going. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A song to annoy your fellow supporters???

Among the purple heather
Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.

For we held a grand procession as we marched before the Queen
Ten thousand kilted warriors - the likes ye've never seen
At first they thought we were Zulus from the lands beyond the Nile
Until they heard us singin' Bonnie Mary o' Argyll
There was Hielan Jocks
In tartan socks
Scotsmen Every wan. 

Here's a quick effort without changing too much.

Among the purple heather
Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.

For we held a grand procession as we marched To see our team
Ten Thousand tartan army - the likes ye've never seen
We will never be mistaken of being fae the land beyond Carlisle
When they hear us singin' Bonnie Mary o' Argyll
There was Hielan Jocks
In tartan socks
Scotsmen Every wan. 

22 minutes ago, TartanTokyo said:

Here's a quick effort without changing too much.

Among the purple heather
Bonnie Mary o' Argyll.

For we held a grand procession as we marched To see our team
Ten Thousand tartan army - the likes ye've never seen
We will never be mistaken of being fae the land beyond Carlisle
When they hear us singin' Bonnie Mary o' Argyll
There was Hielan Jocks
In tartan socks
Scotsmen Every wan. 

:ok:

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Chant Alba.

"Al-a-pa, Al-a-pa (clap x2) Al-a-pa, Al-a-pa"

It would be good to hear some Gàidhlig. It would also annoy the anti-Gàidhlig bigots.

"Scots Wha Hae" is a powerful ballad. Have a dramatic pause before the second verse and then thunder out the words "Now's the day, and now's the hour".

Hamish Henderson's uplifting "Freedom Come All Ye" and "The John MacLean March" would be amazing to hear sung at a Scotland game too.

I chant Alba half a dozen times a day at my bloody mutt when She won't come in. <_<

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No, it's about being proud of being a Private Jock MacGlashan VC of the Royal Highland Cannon Fodder. Someone who is happy to wear a silly uniform, uphold stupid traditions, bully people with skin darker than ours and blindly accept authority.

Not for me. Time to do away with all that pish.

I'm fed up of agreeing with you. :lol:

To the tune of the "Adams Family"

There's Sunday and there's Monday, There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday, There's Thursday and there's Friday, And then there's Saturday... Days of the week (clap, clap) Days of the week (clap, clap) Days of the week x3 (clap, clap)

To the tune of "Bring Back My Bonnie"

My one skin lies under my two skin, My two skin lies under my three, My three skin lies under my foreskin, So pull back my foreskin for me, for me, Pull back, pull back, pull back my foreskin for me, for me, Pull back, pull back, pull back my foreskin for me

To the tune of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

What do you get when you drink the wine, A ten-pound fine and a years probation, Then a kick-in in the polis station, Ah'l never drink the wine again, Ah' never drink the wine again

Untitled*

Shaggin' like fück in the back of a truck yaho!                                                       Shaggin' like fück in the back of a truck yaho!                                                   Shaggin' like füuuuuck(upward inflection) in the back of a truuuuuck(downward inflection)              Shaggin' like fück in the back of a truck yaho!                                                       

* feet must be stamped to get a good rhythm on the go

Edited by DoonTheSlope

7 minutes ago, fringo said:

She clearly doesn't understand  Gàidhlig .

Have you tried the clapping bit ?

There's a daycare place here for dogs. With both my bitches being herding dogs they need to burn the energy. The daycare just lets them run like fvck all day with a dozen other dogs under supervision. Anyway, when they won't come in I yell "D'ya wanna goto schooool?" said in a Yank twang. They go beserk happy and run in right away. :lol:

Edited by Ormond

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

There's a daycare place here for dogs. With both my bitches being herding dogs they need to burn the energy. The daycare just lets them run like all day with a dozen other dogs under supervision. Anyway, when they won't come in I yell "D'ya wanna goto schooool" said in a Yank twang. They go beserk happy and run in right away. :lol:

Is that you talking about your wife (ves) again ?

10 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

To the tune of the "Adams Family"

There's Sunday and there's Monday, There's Tuesday and there's Wednesday, There's Thursday and there's Friday, And then there's Saturday... Days of the week (clap, clap) Days of the week (clap, clap) Days of the week x3 (clap, clap)

To the tune of "Bring Back My Bonnie"

My one skin lies under my two skin, My two skin lies under my three, My three skin lies under my foreskin, So pull back my foreskin for me, for me, Pull back, pull back, pull back my foreskin for me, for me, Pull back, pull back, pull back my foreskin for me

To the tune of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"

What do you get when you drink the wine, A ten-pound fine and a years probation, Then a kick-in in the polis station, Ah'l never drink the wine again, Ah' never drink the wine again

Untitled*

Shaggin' like fück in the back of a truck yaho!                                                       Shaggin' like fück in the back of a truck yaho!                                                   Shaggin' like füuuuuck(upward inflection) in the back of a truuuuuck(downward inflection)              Shaggin' like fück in the back of a truck yaho!                                                       

* feet must be stamped to get a good rhythm on the go

These songs will really encourage people to take their kids along to the games. ?