Celtic v PSG - Page 7 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic v PSG

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

The point now is that domestically the same sides are winning their leagues by much larger margins and with much less defeats (England is probably the exception to this). There's no way for the non-CL teams to even get close to the CL teams, due to the massive gulf in finances. England is probably the exception, due to the very equitable way that the Premier League shares the massive TV wealth it generates. 

You may be right in saying that it is the same, traditionally more successful, teams that are winning the titles. However, they are doing so much, much more easily as competition is stifled domestically due to the massive difference in spending power between them and the rest of the division. 

Portugal and Holland have been dominated by the same teams year on year since the 70's at least, probably 50's for Portgual least so the CL money isn't really the deciding factor there. It can be over turned though. Lyon and Rosenborg dominated their leagues for a number of years and raked in a fair bit CL money but they no longer dominate, Lyon were over thrown before the PSG riches appeared as there was a period where a few sides won titles. PSG are dominating now due to Qatar, not necessarily CL money. Likewise Anderlecht are still the dominant Belgian side but have probably had less domination now in CL years than they did before so.

Real and Barca are dominating Spain due to domestic TV deals rather than CL money I would say. Bayern are probably more dominant now than they have ever been, CL money certainly influences that, likewise in Italy with Juve. 

In short, it does make a difference but its not a guarantee, Lyon, Rosenborg and Anderlecht to a lesser degree show that.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CL's biggest problem is that it's the same teams playing each other generally year after year and the wide gap between the top 5/6 teams and everyone else. 

Even in the mid to late 00's you looked forward to the group games but can't say I do anymore, even the knockout stages have the same ties as previous years. 

CL money and tv money is a contributor, especially in countries like Spain because of how the TV money is distributed but ultimately you need massive investment, that's how PSG are able to attract players like Neymar, compete with Barcelona etc on a level that Lyon could never do when they dominated French football. 

Celtic could play in England but unless they had significant investment they could never hope to compete regularly with Man City etc. 

Pretty obvious stuff and sadly there's little appetite to change it. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

31 minutes ago, Mox said:

There has always been chat that the top teams will break away and start their own super league type competition without UEFA's consent and let them get on with it I say.

im convinced there will be a "sky" league within 10 years

they only really need barca and/or real madrid to leave their respective leagues and the rest will follow through fear of losing out

11 minutes ago, dan cake said:

im convinced there will be a "sky" league within 10 years

they only really need barca and/or real madrid to leave their respective leagues and the rest will follow through fear of losing out

I fully expect them to start trying out playing champions league games on weekends and moving domestic football to midweek to accommodate it.

That would be the beginning of the end.

Although a 2 tier system with a perpetual "champions" league made up effectively of franchises with normal football carrying on for the rest of us would maybe be ok?

The champions league was the payoff when Europe's elite threatened to break from uefa and the europa league for the likes of celtic and rangers who were looking at setting up a so called Atlantic league. All that is happening is the same with Real Madrid the main instigator because they don't like the fact that the team that finished bottom of the EPL got more money than they got for winning the champions league.the more they get the more they want.the best thing is for them to set up their super champions league and go and play their games in the middle and far east where the stadiums will be full of clones in their replica shirts clapping and cheering every pass, throw in or simulation. Eventually the tv companies will realise that no one is actually watching and turn their attention elsewhere and in the meantime the proper supporters will be watching real football where winning a game is about three polite and not about x amount of millions of £/€

Ian 

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

Trying hard to find the Aberdeen result tonight, did it kick off later than the Arsenal match?

They haven't created an easy route for Aberdeen to reach the group stages.

You'll know all about it in a couple of years when you're black to playing Arsenal or Sevilla in the 3rd qualifying round rather than Astana and Rejkavik.

:ok:

20 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

You'll know all about it in a couple of years when you're black to playing Arsenal or Sevilla in the 3rd qualifying round rather than Astana and Rejkavik.

Aye right enough those Cypriots are giants of the game.

15 hours ago, Chesney Hawkes TA said:

Decent international teams like that Spain one are generally very good because they have a significant amount of players from one club, so play like that club. That is very much the exception in international football though and hence why that Spain team sticks out and to a lesser extent the recent Germany team did.

Watching defence v attack in countless games in that ludicrously expanded Euros last year was tedious beyond belief.

Most Spain games were mostly defence vs attack. With Spain continuously passing around, retaining possession, trying to work openings. We then had many folk claiming that Spain were "boring". Which i found utterly bizarre. I can't understand how folk can find complete footballing perfection boring. 

14 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

In short, it does make a difference but its not a guarantee, Lyon, Rosenborg and Anderlecht to a lesser degree show that.

There's no guarantees but it does give an enormous advantage. 

9 hours ago, macy37 said:

Trying hard to find the Aberdeen result tonight, did it kick off later than the Arsenal match?

You'd need a blowtorch to mark that brassneck, sir. Your team got pumped 5-0 at home 3 days ago :lol: 

21 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Indeed. 

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Bit like Malmo, Maribor et al who've papped you lot out in recent years eh? Or even the likes of the mighty Molde who turned you over home and away 2 seasons back?

Next you'll be telling me there's no easy games in Europe.

When was the last time more than one Scottish club was in Europe past September? It's actually a genuine question despite my previous fishing expedition.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

That's one of the reasons I was always going to take the CL package no matter the price increase this time. It could be a while before we are back at this level again with those changes coming down the line. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Most Spain games were mostly defence vs attack. With Spain continuously passing around, retaining possession, trying to work openings. We then had many folk claiming that Spain were "boring". Which i found utterly bizarre. I can't understand how folk can find complete footballing perfection boring. 

The backlash against that Spain team by the start of Euro 2012 was staggering. 

What a genius Xavi was. There's video that focuses on his play against England in a friendly around 2004. Masterful. 

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The backlash against that Spain team by the start of Euro 2012 was staggering. 

What a genius Xavi was. There's video that focuses on his play against England in a friendly around 2004. Masterful. 

It's the Sky Sports generation who like entertainment, not football. They think games are boring unless there's loads of goals or clear-cut chances. 

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

On a side note, I wish our fans would stop patting themselves on the back over the 'atmosphere'. It's all I've seen on social media the last couple of days.

Frankly it's cringy as fvck! ?

It's similar to Scotland fans doing likewise - it's a bit of an urban.

Far better atmosphere's in Europe than CP - when the GB were missing in earlier rounds it was very quiet at times, although Walk On is very impressive. Far better than Liverpool's effort IMO.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

When was the last time more than one Scottish club was in Europe past September? It's actually a genuine question despite my previous fishing expedition.

Aberdeen when they qualified out the group stages of the Europa and got beaten off Bayern in the last 32? Think they lasted until February.

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's the Sky Sports generation who like entertainment, not football. They think games are boring unless there's loads of goals or clear-cut chances. 

Even the journalists were at it as well all through the tournament, with very little reference to why the games were "boring" because even the best teams put 10 men behind the ball. Was so pleased when they pumped Italy in the final. 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

2007-2008 (Aberdeen, Celtic and Oldco).

Edited by Barney Rubble

21 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Motherwell went out to Odense last week in August too, after winning their first two rounds.

It was well into September we played Levante, but we hadn't actually won a game to get there. Had lost in Champions league qualifier to Panathinaikos.

We gave them (Levante) a scare in the away leg, Higdon had a goal disallowed over there that would of put us 1 up on the night. They weren't a typical la liga side. More like a Hearts or Inverness, physical and fairly solid.