Tambs for the memories - Page 18 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tambs for the memories

14 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

Hiya @Armchair Bob  :wave:

19 hours ago, Pool Q said:

This is a bit like meeting up with friends and family you haven't seen in ages at a funeral. It's a shame it has taken an impending death to make this place interesting again.

Aye, TAMB resurrection party!

14 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

Hiya @Armchair Bob  :wave:

Hola :waves:

On 17/09/2017 at 5:11 AM, calmac_man said:

If I did the whole multi-quote argument thing with you, it meant I respected what you'd said and wanted to respond to it. (Neilser. Why was it so often Neilser? Always liked him too.) 

Haven't been on the TAMB since you posted that long post calmac man - I've only quoted a wee bit. A cracking read and good to hear you're doing well. We had a few 'spirited debates' over the years but the good thing was (as far as I recall) the dummy was never spat out by either of us and it did at least help to concentrate the mind when posting. Most of the stuff you posted I agreed with and even the spirited debates were constructive on the whole - some of the stuff you posted was also hugely influential on me moving from Labour to SNP.

Anyway, glad that you're in a good place fella :)

Where does one start with the TAMB?

I can honestly say, I've never encountered a bad person on here - disagreements at times, aye, but never truly nasty.

I'm not going to sit on my arse and name favourites - you all had your 'special appeal'!

However, the kindness I was shown in this place when I realised the bevvy was getting out of hand, was quite unbelievable. I was one of the first to say, "Oh, aye, just stop drinking, Naebdy pours it down your neck, etc", but I soon realised that wasn't the case - people on here understood that, and for that I'll be eternally grateful. A special mention here goes to wee Mindimoo, who had a friend in the right place at the right time. Mindi went out her way to ensure that happened.

The patter over the years has been immense. Kenneth Farrington and I sat 2 metres away in the office pishing ourselves at some of the posts; Charlie and I discussed it in the Horseshoe - it was a brilliant place to be. Meeting people at games from on here - friends for life.

I was saddened to hear of the Colonel's passing. Puts it all into perspective. If any of his friends or family are reading this, my heart and sympathy goes out to you.

So, we might be saved? I hope so. I'll be back - I hope you reading this are too.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:23 PM, Pool Q said:

This is a bit like meeting up with friends and family you haven't seen in ages at a funeral. It's a shame it has taken an impending death to make this place interesting again.

:lol:

On 30 September 2017 at 0:58 PM, Flora MaDonald said:

Where does one start with the TAMB?

I can honestly say, I've never encountered a bad person on here - disagreements at times, aye, but never truly nasty.

I'm not going to sit on my arse and name favourites - you all had your 'special appeal'!

However, the kindness I was shown in this place when I realised the bevvy was getting out of hand, was quite unbelievable. I was one of the first to say, "Oh, aye, just stop drinking, Naebdy pours it down your neck, etc", but I soon realised that wasn't the case - people on here understood that, and for that I'll be eternally grateful. A special mention here goes to wee Mindimoo, who had a friend in the right place at the right time. Mindi went out her way to ensure that happened.

The patter over the years has been immense. Kenneth Farrington and I sat 2 metres away in the office pishing ourselves at some of the posts; Charlie and I discussed it in the Horseshoe - it was a brilliant place to be. Meeting people at games from on here - friends for life.

I was saddened to hear of the Colonel's passing. Puts it all into perspective. If any of his friends or family are reading this, my heart and sympathy goes out to you.

So, we might be saved? I hope so. I'll be back - I hope you reading this are too.

:wub:

• 4 years later...
On 9/7/2017 at 12:01 PM, TartanJon said:

It was always going to happen when brilliant posters like myself & Andreimack stopped winding folk up.

TBH I chucked it because the place was full of s arguing about the same shite over and over and over.

I'd like to think I contributed to the Tamb during its heyday before the s took over.

I'm glad to say I've met some great people that I can call friends and some other s too!!!

The good times outweighed the bad times but after all these years I never did get to see Tartan Teddy's winky.

Use this Fred to post your Tamb memories and try and keep it lighthearted ffs so the board can go out with some dignity.

Peace out troops

PS

I was Mod11

Were you bollocks. 🤔 Everyone knows Mod11 was Reeky Sporran.

On 9/7/2017 at 1:13 PM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

The Rangers fan who used to finish off every post with "Still Smiling :)"..... can't remember his name now. Often thought of him when Rangers died.

Was that GIMac?

On 9/7/2017 at 1:35 PM, thplinth said:

Fishyraw's picture of the Enola Gay(er) with Flat Earth in his micro shorts added to the line up... still like to see that again. He was a master at photoshop. :lol:

One Neil Simpson. (Well, two clearly, cos he wasn't THAT Neil Simpson). Wonder where he is now. Haven't seen hide nor hair of Fishyraw for a long time...

On 9/7/2017 at 10:32 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Surprised i only got three real MOD warnings and mini suspensions - believe one of them was down to an argument with Reeky  (was probably him that dished out the suspension).

Just to set the record straight. Poor Reeky was never a Mod. And to be honest everyone should be really grateful for that. Can you imagine what this place would have been like?

It was ScottieCTA that started that rumour. He might have been mad as a box of frogs but I loved the big man. He didn't know who the Mods were but obviously bought into what they were trying to do, and did his best to support them by sticking up for the mods, and undermining their biggest critic (Reeky) by convincing everyone that he was one...

Well played Scottie, you big hairy half-canadian nutter. You are a legend, if you're still out there...

On 9/8/2017 at 3:10 PM, phart said:

Flat Earth always reminds me of dividing by zero. I must have about 750 posts dedicated to that topic alone.

And they were all wrong.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:23 PM, thplinth said:

That was Old Math. I seem to remember inventing New Math where it was possible to divide by zero. Do keep up.

MathS

Its arithmatic. And mathematics. You don't shorten hippopotamami to hippo. Its hippos.

On 9/9/2017 at 10:17 PM, jenblueeyes said:

Yeah - I organised a couple of the later batches. They were a very good money earner for TASA. I've still got a couple.

There was another Tshirt done around 2003 that resulted in me joining the TAMB....had a good phrase on it which I can't remember now but I asked someone in Amsterdam where he got it from and he told me to check out the Tartan Army Message Board.  I joined around the time of the Wales game in Feb/March 2004.

"Yabba dabba do, we're all here to get magoo'd..."?

On 9/9/2017 at 11:15 PM, Lamia said:

Then we have Steelpeach one of our English interlopers who I met in Milan and am still friends on FB - good guy :) and Longshanks another interloper who I never met but am still FB friends.

DonnyTJS was however the most tolerant on the interlopers and I wish i had met him too :)

Steelpeach sadly passed away as well. His emphesima finally caught up with him. For those who remember the name he was actually a bit of a celebrity in his adopted Italy. He had a successful "learn English" franchise with books and schools, and was regularly a punter on their football programs (usually when England or English teams were involved). And in the Italian version of the Cars cartoon/movie he did the voice over of one of the characters...

John Sloan, a character, sadly missed.

Plot the function X=1/Y on a graph, with (say) boundaries of 10 and -10 for the y value.

And tell me what happens on the graph between 1 and -1.

You can argue about the semantics of it, but as Y trends towards "zero" X trends towards "infinity".

I will die on this hill... 😂

9 minutes ago, Flat Earth said:

Plot the function X=1/Y on a graph, with (say) boundaries of 10 and -10 for the y value.

And tell me what happens on the graph between 1 and -1.

You can argue about the semantics of it, but as Y trends towards "zero" X trends towards "infinity".

I will die on this hill... 😂

I'm agreeing with you I think. Can't remember the details these days,

16 minutes ago, phart said:

I'm agreeing with you I think. Can't remember the details these days,

😳

20 hours ago, Flat Earth said:

Steelpeach sadly passed away as well. His emphesima finally caught up with him. For those who remember the name he was actually a bit of a celebrity in his adopted Italy. He had a successful "learn English" franchise with books and schools, and was regularly a punter on their football programs (usually when England or English teams were involved). And in the Italian version of the Cars cartoon/movie he did the voice over of one of the characters...

John Sloan, a character, sadly missed.

That's really sad to hear

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 1:01 PM, TartanJon said:

It was always going to happen when brilliant posters like myself & Andreimack stopped winding folk up.

TBH I chucked it because the place was full of s arguing about the same shite over and over and over.

I'd like to think I contributed to the Tamb during its heyday before the s took over.

I'm glad to say I've met some great people that I can call friends and some other s too!!!

The good times outweighed the bad times but after all these years I never did get to see Tartan Teddy's winky.

Use this Fred to post your Tamb memories and try and keep it lighthearted ffs so the board can go out with some dignity.

Peace out troops

PS

I was Mod11

Thankfully the same shite being argued by the same bawbags over and over is largely restricted to Football Related so a smidgen of enjoyment can still be obtained. Its a pity it took until last year to make the finals of a tournament - assuming we're not counting the Under 20s debacle in Canada in 2007 - in the 19 years since I've been on the board as it would have been good to see what more of the old posters on. 

This board Needs Tunes has definitely kept me interested and the renewed optimism on recent form in potentially making the second round of a tourney. Would be nice to have a Jimbers character again as he brought a smile to the face on a few occasions

Its become too serious, used to have a good mix of serious and funny threads but the humour is few and far between these days. Hopefully though, as GKM says, potential WC qualification will throw it a lifeline. 
And for someone who uses no other social media it really kept my sanity during covid,  so thanks everyone for that.