Gonna miss this place - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gonna miss this place

bonny78

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Even with the depleted state of the board surely we can form a fan consortium to save the place. Fan ownership would I think attract back many. This board has always been so opaque and mysterious about who owns it. Even in death we are guessing at what is going on behind the scenes. C'mon folks let us help you help us.

That would be good.

I seem to recall the TAMB almost folded a few years back for the same cost issues and numerous TAMBers were willing to contribute to costs. Thankfully those in charge managed to work something out.

It's a modern institution not only for Scotland fans but numerous others who read and post here because of the variety of topics, info and banter.

It really needs to survive somehow.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like I have said there are free forum hosting options out there such as:-

https://www.createaforum.com/free-forum-hosting.php

https://www.prophpbb.com/

https://www.phpbb.com/

https://www.forumotion.com/

And those are just a few. Just movew to one of those and recreate the forum there.

Yes these and others are promising - someone is taking the p1sh at 300/month

3 hours ago, albathebrave said:

How many people are regulars on here? Divided by 300 quid come on make this happen mods

it seems there are free options but if the powers are be are willing to keep this site going with donations Id happily put a bit in each month. I really would miss it

only seeing this now !

As an Ireland fan I first joined as you had an uncanny knack of going where we/I  were just about to go to eg  Tbilisi ( though never made it as Russia invaded and we ended up in Mainz) Bari, Stockholm though the last not exactly off the beaten track

Whatsapp has problably been a factor as well , hopefully something will remain -

spent far too many hours on here when YBIG was quite

it would be a shame if there wasn't a MB for Scotland fans

3 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

only seeing this now !

As an Ireland fan I first joined as you had an uncanny knack of going where we/I  were just about to go to eg  Tbilisi ( though never made it as Russia invaded and we ended up in Mainz) Bari, Stockholm though the last not exactly off the beaten track

Whatsapp has problably been a factor as well , hopefully something will remain -

spent far too many hours on here when YBIG was quite

it would be a shame if there wasn't a MB for Scotland fans

Another great thing about the TAMB has been other fans joining and contributing with opinions, rivalries, debates, info and a lot of good banter.

SAVE THE TAMB !

I haven't posted for about 3 years. Usually only check the forum when there is a Scotland game coming up.

i really enjoyed The TAMB around 2007-2010. I drifted away from it as I got bored with arguing with folk. I didn't even look at the board for about a year after that. 

Been reading a lot of posts today and was smiling at some of the old names and threads. 

It's not something I will miss too much personally but hope something can be done to keep it going for those that still want to use it. 

6 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I prefer the bounce but there's next to no traffic on it, I find the bounce much more laid back whereas .net is far too wanky for my liking. Post anything even slightly critiscing the club and your pounced upon and called a yam

the thought of not being able to leave the intense bun fight of hibs.net to these calm shores is particularly nauseating.

p.s

Also up for crowd funding, understand it couldn't have been an easy decision,  if the good people in charge have had their fill, I think im sensing there are others to pick up the mantle.

Edited by giblet

It would be pretty tragic if something that took years, decades to build up was suddenly taken away, especially with no sort of dialogue with 'powers that be'

I'm not sure there's any inevitability of a forum as a format being on the way out - probably there's never been more people getting news and entertainment via text based formats.  

There must be some way either to have some sort of paid option or fan buyout; or migrate to some new platform, or crowdfund something; or would some other organisation provide a home (sfa? a newspaper or mmagazine? some sponsor of scottish football? some philanthropist?). Or at the very least go find somewhere to squat for a while while considering options....

Is there some means for a poll?

Just saw this on Facebook shame to hear, not posted in ages (my old job I used to do lots of night shifts and I got 3 year job in the USA) member since 2004 although more a reader than a poster.  Was always a good source of information and debate for tickets and travel. Hope you guys save / find a new forum for this.  Pie and Bovril would proably be the best to use if this does go as it's not club specific and has fans from every club with a specific section for Scotland talk away from club ones which could be used for many of the topics here.  Best of luck trying to save the site, if it keeps going I will remember to look in now and again.  If not I look forward to seeing you all at future Scotland games 2019 onwards although getting my points back up could be difficult from 10-0 in three years :( 

Not been on the board for ages. Just popped back on last week to see what was going on post Lithuania. Sad to see the board go. It was and probably still is a very valuable resource for sharing information about all things Scotland.

Very sad if the board has to go.

Whilst things are evolving regards social media and that, I don't know if its all a good thing. I chucked Facebook 5 years ago - or at least posting regularly on it - for the usual reasons e.g it's turning us all into megalomaniacs who need instant gratification.  Message boards whilst there will be falling out between members and so on, you get a more robust and interesting discussion.

Surely there are cheaper formats we could run if it's costing £300 a month to run.

I haven't posted much recently baring and it seems to be common with many folk, but especially in the run up to games it is a gem of a place to come and read everyone's views.

The travel section will also be sorely missed, as there is a ton of great information in there from just about any place in the world.

What about doing a crowd funder if it is funds that are the issue? Or a very scaled down version of the TAMB? e.g three sections : National Team, Anything Goes, SPL/other sports?

Also, if we somehow actually pull off two great wins in October and reach the playoffs, you can't pull the plug in November before a potential play off, AND then if we somehow, the moon/sun/Snodgrass all aligned and we got through that at qualified ; surely we can't have our first tournament and no TAMB on the go.

Whilst things are evolving regards social media and that, I don't know if its all a good thing. I chucked Facebook 5 years ago - or at least posting regularly on it - for the usual reasons e.g it's turning us all into megalomaniacs who need instant gratification.  Message boards whilst there will be falling out between members and so on, you get a more robust and interesting discussion.

Surely there are cheaper formats we could run if it's costing £300 a month to run.

I haven't posted much recently baring and it seems to be common with many folk, but especially in the run up to games it is a gem of a place to come and read everyone's views.

The travel section will also be sorely missed, as there is a ton of great information in there from just about any place in the world.

What about doing a crowd funder if it is funds that are the issue? Or a very scaled down version of the TAMB? e.g three sections : National Team, Anything Goes, SPL/other sports?

Also, if we somehow actually pull off two great wins in October and reach the playoffs, you can't pull the plug in November before a potential play off, AND then if we somehow, the moon/sun/Snodgrass all aligned and we got through that at qualified ; surely we can't have our first tournament and no TAMB on the go.

4 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Can I ask a question? 

Are you or have you ever been a mod or an admin? Straight up.