2nd Place - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2nd Place

COLT NY

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

We've played England twice, Slovakia haven't.

Assuming England win on Monday and we beat Malta, we will be one point behind Slovakia and could very well have a better goal difference and a playoff place will be in our own hands. OK so we will have played Malta twice but that won't matter if we win our last two games.

To stand any chance of getting a playoff we were probably always going to have to beat Slovakia at home. Failing to beat Lithuania at home means we have to beat Slovenia away which is a big ask. 

Given that only one player who started against Lithuania at Hampden started last night, we are now a completely different team and I think we've got a chance of a playoff although Slovakia are favourites. 

Knowing our luck Slovakia will beat England. 

Ssshhhh sorry those negative thoughts keep just appearing. It's almost like we've been here before . . . 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And my point is past disappointments mean jack. Ask our finest sportsman Andy Murray. Umpteen slam final losses but he stuck with it and struck success in the end. He didn't wallow in a sea of self-pity.

Well they do to some fans. 

Haha comparing us finishing 3rd or 4th with Murray, a top individual sportsman is clutching at straws. 

Whilst the negativity on here is probably justified, the reality is there is a good chance that we will wake up on Tuesday morning knowing that if we win against a pretty mediocre Slovakia team at home in front of a full house then that puts us firmly in the driving seat and that our final game is against a team who will more than likely be already out. 

Granted our recent record of "must wins" isn't great so at the moment I'm just happy that tomorrow's game isn't a dead rubber but I'm also quietly confident that a play-off place is well within our reach especially if we play the high pressing game we played on Friday in the remaining 3 games 

9 minutes ago, Anders said:

Whilst the negativity on here is probably justified, the reality is there is a good chance that we will wake up on Tuesday morning knowing that if we win against a pretty mediocre Slovakia team at home in front of a full house then that puts us firmly in the driving seat and that our final game is against a team who will more than likely be already out. 

Granted our recent record of "must wins" isn't great so at the moment I'm just happy that tomorrow's game isn't a dead rubber but I'm also quietly confident that a play-off place is well within our reach especially if we play the high pressing game we played on Friday in the remaining 3 games 

the Slovenia side appear a team of giants with no creativity

they've scored six and conceded four in the campaign and look like they're trying to eke out draws and one nils

they played v narrow against us at Hampden and we got at them down the wings all first half

we can win over there if can get ourselves into position to still be meaningful with two big Hampden nights

33 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Well they do to some fans. 

Haha comparing us finishing 3rd or 4th with Murray, a top individual sportsman is clutching at straws. 

Well I am sorry those fans are clueless.

What relevance is there in Scotland losing to say Costa Rica in 98 or losing out in last campaign to the here and now. NOTHING.

Totally different set of players, totally different opponents and totally different fixtures. Look at Wales. No qualification for almost 60 years until last Euros. Evidence that the past means NOTHING in the here and now.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I am sorry those fans are clueless.

What relevance is there in Scotland losing to say Costa Rica in 98 or losing out in last campaign to the here and now. NOTHING.

Totally different set of players, totally different opponents and totally different fixtures. Look at Wales. No qualification for almost 60 years until last Euros. Evidence that the past means NOTHING in the here and now.

Haha Costa Rica? 

Qualifying is down to the players, I'm only stating that some fans will be cautious because of what's happened in the recent past. 

If you don't think being in a very similar position this campaign to the 4 or so before it affects fans enthusiasm or hope then you're a rare breed of supporter. 

Guest MorayCupMan

Honestly and I hate to say it I think we have left ourselves to much to do to get to the play offs.

I hope I am proved wrong but losing that last minute goal to England really killed this campaign for me. We can go on and win our last 3 games and still not get 2nd place that's the reality of it. Plus I think Slovakia are a pretty decent outfit and will gave England their biggest test of this qualifying campaign tomorrow night and I wouldn't be shocked if they got all 3 points.

Hope I'm wrong though..

Edited by MorayCupMan

20 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha Costa Rica? 

Qualifying is down to the players, I'm only stating that some fans will be cautious because of what's happened in the recent past. 

If you don't think being in a very similar position this campaign to the 4 or so before it affects fans enthusiasm or hope then you're a rare breed of supporter. 

Yes and that is my point. This is a pretty new group of players which has even changed through this campaign so you cannot judge what happened with a totally different crop of players. Cautious is fine but not reading posts on here. They are NOT cautious but downright depressing and pessimistic - big difference. On your final point you can't let past campaigns cloud your thoughts - that is the way I see it. If so you'll lead a depressing and glum existence. I prefer to look on the positive side and deal with the disappoint when or if it comes NOT before.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes and that is my point. This is a pretty new group of players which has even changed through this campaign so you cannot judge what happened with a totally different crop of players. Cautious is fine but not reading posts on here. They are NOT cautious but downright depressing and pessimistic - big difference. On your final point you can't let past campaigns cloud your thoughts - that is the way I see it. If so you'll lead a depressing and glum existence. I prefer to look on the positive side and deal with the disappoint when or if it comes NOT before.

I don't let a football result affect my existence. 

42 minutes ago, MorayCupMan said:

Honestly and I hate to say it I think we have left ourselves to much to do to get to the play offs.

I hope I am proved wrong but losing that last minute goal to England really killed this campaign for me. We can go on and win our last 3 games and still not get 2nd place that's the reality of it. Plus I think Slovakia are a pretty decent outfit and will gave England their biggest test of this qualifying campaign tomorrow night and I wouldn't be shocked if they got all 3 points.

Hope I'm wrong though..

I agree. A Slovakia win at Wembley would not be a major shock. Ireland beating Germany in Dublin was a bigger shock than that. 

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, but I would prefer England to hump them by about 6 or 7 goals. Just in case we can only manage a draw in Slovenia.;)

Aye good point ?

Torturing myself today with "what ifs" ???

"what if" we had beaten Lithuania at home 

"what if" The ref hadn't given England a foul that wasn't a foul 

"what if" Stuart Armstrong had hoofed the ball row z or passed left rather than right...

"What if" Craig Gordon had came off his line and caught the ball before it got to Kane

"What if Slovakia and England do draw and we beat Malta"

We'd be top of the group !!! ??????

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I think it will be a draw. Suits both teams really.

Slovakia should be going to Wembley to win, they'll want to top the group and automatically qualify. With the state of the group a point for them isn't much better than none.

Edited by Toepoke

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Slovakia should be going to Wembley to win, they'll want to top the group and automatically qualify. With the state of the group a point for them isn't much better than none.

I think they will try to win that game but they wont be disappointed with a draw. If you look at it from Slovakia's point of view, they will have no fear about going to Hampden and getting the result that they need to secure 2nd place. They will be expecting to win at Hampden but will settle for a draw to virtually secure 2nd place.

The Slovakian management team will also understand the goal difference situation (I'm not sure that our management team does). They wont want to throw caution to the wind against England in case they end up  losing heavily and throw away their current goal difference advantage.