Scotland Bobble Hats - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

FootballBobbles

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is inappropriate, I have joined the forum very honestly and have looked for specific rules but can't see anything on posts. Feel free to inbox me if I am out of order here, just trying to be helpful.

I make hats for football supporters, and also with Dunfermline AFC, at footballbobbles.com. I've made a Scotland hat based on the Italia 1990 away kit and wanted to know what you think, please?

We make limited numbers of hats, bobbles all made in the UK, to unique designs. 

Cheers

Reuven 

IMG_4163.jpg

46 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Still the neymar jnr of hats!.... nice, and does look good, but is way overpriced ... 

Thanks for the comment.

We only make 50 hats, they take a lot of design, sampling. The original shirt design is interpreted by an artist, then one is made at a factory so we can ensure it looks right, there's a significant cost to all of that. To make any money from 50 we have to charge more than say a Primark or Sports Direct hat, or the sort of thing mass produced in sweat shops in Bangladesh or elsewhere. Our hats are made in factories we have visited in the UK & EU, workers are protected and looked after, plus we're supporting UK manufacturing mainly.

So not sure I agree with "way overpriced", especially as I know the time and effort that goes in, the near impossibility of getting as few as 50 made, and the fact we need to make a living. I think what you mean is you don't want to pay that, which is entirely reasonable, but just wanted to explain why we price as we do and that it's a fair price for a niche, well made product that's available in limited numbers.

Cheers

Reuven

4 minutes ago, FootballBobbles said:

Thanks for the comment.

We only make 50 hats, they take a lot of design, sampling. The original shirt design is interpreted by an artist, then one is made at a factory so we can ensure it looks right, there's a significant cost to all of that. To make any money from 50 we have to charge more than say a Primark or Sports Direct hat, or the sort of thing mass produced in sweat shops in Bangladesh or elsewhere. Our hats are made in factories we have visited in the UK & EU, workers are protected and looked after, plus we're supporting UK manufacturing mainly.

So not sure I agree with "way overpriced", especially as I know the time and effort that goes in, the near impossibility of getting as few as 50 made, and the fact we need to make a living. I think what you mean is you don't want to pay that, which is entirely reasonable, but just wanted to explain why we price as we do and that it's a fair price for a niche, well made product that's available in limited numbers.

Cheers

Reuven

Top response. I don't think they're overpriced at all. :ok: 

5 minutes ago, FootballBobbles said:

Thank you, we appreciate that not everyone wants to pay that or can afford to and do our best to keep costs down while offering a great service :-)

R

As you say, it's a individual product, produced in small numbers. I think your prices are pretty reasonable. 

As a comparator, JD Sports sell a horrible Scotland tammy for £15. 

jd_002747_a?qlt=80&w=600&h=765&v=1

I know what one i'd rather spend my money on and it's not sold in JD Sports

33 minutes ago, Parklife said:

As you say, it's a individual product, produced in small numbers. I think your prices are pretty reasonable. 

As a comparator, JD Sports sell a horrible Scotland tammy for £15. 

jd_002747_a?qlt=80&w=600&h=765&v=1

I know what one i'd rather spend my money on and it's not sold in JD Sports

That's great to hear, thanks. This is why we do what we do, the overt official merchandise isn't for lots of people and we want to cater to them :-)

On 29/08/2017 at 1:31 PM, FootballBobbles said:

Hi,

Please forgive me if this is inappropriate, I have joined the forum very honestly and have looked for specific rules but can't see anything on posts. Feel free to inbox me if I am out of order here, just trying to be helpful.

I make hats for football supporters, and also with Dunfermline AFC, at footballbobbles.com. I've made a Scotland hat based on the Italia 1990 away kit and wanted to know what you think, please?

We make limited numbers of hats, bobbles all made in the UK, to unique designs. 

Cheers

Reuven 

IMG_4163.jpg

Assume these are not yet on the website?

Just now, they've_been_suckered said:

Assume these are not yet on the website?

Not yet, release is likely in October. We have an email newsletter you can subscribe to on the site at footballbobbles.com as well as twitter @FootballBobbles and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/footbalbobbles/ to keep in touch. Hope that helps :-)

10 hours ago, FootballBobbles said:

Thanks for the comment.

Cheers

Reuven

Fair play Reuven, understood and accept what you say about limited production..... but I think it's a lot for a bobble hat. It is a nice looking wee hat...... I don't know much about the bobble hat business but might be worth taking  a punt and getting a job lot done and knocking them out for a reasonable price? 

I find this bobble nothing but great. It was about time some sort of more discreet and stylish Scotland related stuff was made available. Loony Alba t shirts were/are quite good in many ways but my dream is to see something along the lines of Spirit of 58 Wales emerging within the Scotland support sooner rather than later. And this effort goes in the right direction so I have nothing but praise.

And I don't think it is overpriced at all. Granted it ain't cheap, as someone else already pointed out, but  if you take into consideration the research work and the quality of the material you'll see that it is well within the standard price range for similar products outside the more mainstream markets. The only low is the price for the p&p outside UK but still I will grab it once available.

All in all, great job Reuven and hopefully we will see more similar stuff appearing in the future.

4 hours ago, Mauro said:

I find this bobble nothing but great. It was about time some sort of more discreet and stylish Scotland related stuff was made available. Loony Alba t shirts were/are quite good in many ways but my dream is to see something along the lines of Spirit of 58 Wales emerging within the Scotland support sooner rather than later. And this effort goes in the right direction so I have nothing but praise.

And I don't think it is overpriced at all. Granted it ain't cheap, as someone else already pointed out, but  if you take into consideration the research work and the quality of the material you'll see that it is well within the standard price range for similar products outside the more mainstream markets. The only low is the price for the p&p outside UK but still I will grab it once available.

All in all, great job Reuven and hopefully we will see more similar stuff appearing in the future.

Thanks Mauro! We do what we do, if other's think they have a better plan and can take the risk and make money from 300 to 500 hats like this then best of luck to them. 

We've invested in a new website this year, added new payment methods (SAGEPay, secure payment) all in the name of reducing costs overall so prices can be reduced a little, which they have been. We still sell a premium product for a fair price in my opinion, we're not mass market or the usual, nor do we aim to be.

We have lots of things coming for Scotland fans, and Tim from S058 is a friend of mine (so we don't do Wales gear). 

Hope people get onside with us and we can produce the sorts of things you want to see.  Any ideas are very welcome, as is all feedback.

Cheers

Reuven