This Weekends Matches 2017/18 - Page 128 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Matches 2017/18

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I wasn’t aware of the incident v Rangers.

Raging I don’t get to use the “YouTube or it didn’t happen” line.

:lol:

As he said. Are your lot guilty of this too? I know your footballers are thugs but I wasn’t aware of your fans being racists? Did I miss something?

42 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

If Real and Bayern go through tonight as expected, the semi finals will include 4 teams from 4 different countries. That is what European football is all about! 

And with the teams involved it's like a throwback to the European Cup of the 70s or 80s...

Edited by Toepoke

Guest BlueGaz
11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Was this the racist abuse Sinclair allegedly got at Fir Park?

Ach, a large banger was thrown across the seg at the last game and a wee boy ended up in hospital and deaf for 24 hours, that didn't even get a mention, never mind only for 10 mins.  He's full of shite.  All the arseholes involved are not worthy of mention and feeding their egos.  Unlike macy, I'll extend that to all arsehole fans.  :ok:

Guest BlueGaz
7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Saw the highlights, atmosphere looked amazing. Great passion.

I was watching the Liverpool game and didn't realise that it was so exciting on the other channel.  Just managed to catch the last 10 minutes once I did realise.  Great win for them.  Were Barca bad, or Roma good, or bit of both?

12 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I was watching the Liverpool game and didn't realise that it was so exciting on the other channel.  Just managed to catch the last 10 minutes once I did realise.  Great win for them.  Were Barca bad, or Roma good, or bit of both?

Great game to watch, Roma were brilliant, pressed Barcelona high up the pitch. Dzeko in particular was fantastic, gave Pique a torrid time of it. Barcelona were pretty poor and ended up playing a lot of hopeful long balls as they were struggling to keep possession with their usual passing game. 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

If Real and Bayern go through tonight as expected, the semi finals will include 4 teams from 4 different countries. That is what European football is all about! 

Unfortunately only one of them is actually the champions of their country.

25 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Unfortunately only one of them is actually the champions of their country.

you just answered the Question i was about to Ask.. Bayern I presume...

I'm channeling all my energy into Roma winning the Champions League this year, if they Scouse c units win it I don't think I can bear it.

Just an aside, Messi has been let down by Barcelona for so long now, their acquisitions in the last few years have been nothing short of atrocious. It is amazing they are undefeated domestically and it's pretty much all down to him.

24 minutes ago, Mox said:

Just an aside, Messi has been let down by Barcelona for so long now, their acquisitions in the last few years have been nothing short of atrocious. It is amazing they are undefeated domestically and it's pretty much all down to him.

Bit harsh but i can see where you're coming from. 

Umtiti is one of the best defenders in Europe, while Rakitic is definitely an elite level player. Coutinho and Dembele should both become huge players for them. Although they obviously still have to prove that. 

They have really struggled to replace Xavi though and still rely very heavily on Iniesta who's physical gifts are on the decline. Busquets form has suffered as a result of the drop in quality in the midfield around him. 

I only saw bits of the Roma game. They highlighted Messi at the first goal wandering back.

Ronaldo is often criticised for being selfish, but if he wasn’t throwing a tantrum (and I’ve seen less of that recently) he would have tracked back.

As they said post match, Barca were defending with 9 men (they actually said 8, but counted the Roma keeper) which at this level against a team working as hard as Roma is a tough task!

Im sure I’ve seen stats in the past that showed Messi had covered a decent distance, just wandering if he’s also letting his team mates down in terms of work rate?

18 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I only saw bits of the Roma game. They highlighted Messi at the first goal wandering back.

Ronaldo is often criticised for being selfish, but if he wasn’t throwing a tantrum (and I’ve seen less of that recently) he would have tracked back.

As they said post match, Barca were defending with 9 men (they actually said 8, but counted the Roma keeper) which at this level against a team working as hard as Roma is a tough task!

Im sure I’ve seen stats in the past that showed Messi had covered a decent distance, just wandering if he’s also letting his team mates down in terms of work rate?

Unsure why folk have the constant need to shoehorn in a reference to the other when they are talking about Messi/Ronaldo. 

Messi was Barcelona's best player last night, like he is in about 90% of games. 

The team is set up so that others are supposed cover runs from opposing full-backs (which are pretty rare anyway), meaning that when Barca win the ball back Messi is high up the pitch and will receive the ball in a position in a position where he can have maximum impact. 

If folk are expecting Messi to track every full-back run, then they haven't been watching Barcelona play very much and aren't aware of their normal gameplan. 

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Wasn’t aware of the hatred a number of St Mirren fans have towards United. :lol: When did that happen ? Hun like behaviour but very pleasing watching the SEETHE in these dark times.  Its not like you wont win the league for fuck sake.

I have never heard of any issues between our clubs before.

Hun like behaviour?? Wasn't there last night, please enlighten.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Unsure why folk have the constant need to shoehorn in a reference to the other when they are talking about Messi/Ronaldo. 

Messi was Barcelona's best player last night, like he is in about 90% of games. 

The team is set up so that others are supposed cover runs from opposing full-backs (which are pretty rare anyway), meaning that when Barca win the ball back Messi is high up the pitch and will receive the ball in a position in a position where he can have maximum impact. 

If folk are expecting Messi to track every full-back run, then they haven't been watching Barcelona play very much and aren't aware of their normal gameplan. 

Only reason I referenced Ronaldo was as there is a debate on another thread (and in any discussion) around who is better and Ronaldo is often questioned on his selfishness.

I get what you’re saying and have probably only watched 2 full Barca games this season, so you may know better. Was just pointing out his apparent lack of work in the example I saw last night and was wondering if he could/should be contributing more when Barca lose the ball.

14 minutes ago, theweestevie said:

The Sun are reporting Hibs v Celtic Fri 20th and Celtic v Rangers on Sunday 29th with a 12:00 ko.

Seeing someone who apparently knows the Gers fixtures saying we finish with away trips to Hibs and then Aberdeen on the final day of the season.

“We” who’s we if I may ask?