Team GB Football - Again - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team GB Football - Again

8 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

I heard that as well. How the fuck does this even equate ??

Surely this stems from FIFA/UEFA doing us a massive favour by allowing the UK to have 4 eligible teams despite not having proper nation status for any of the 4. This will obviously lead to anomolies where other sports governing bodies won't do us the same favour. We're not really in a position to complain about said anomoly I'm my opinion.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Aye Scotland didn't count, so unless England finished 4th in that case there would be no Team GB next year.  Otherwise there would have been serious complaints if GB had more than one opportunity to qualify. 

I know it makes absolute sense to nominate the country most likely to finish in the highest position but it just seems to reiterate exactly where we stand in this union 😕

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I know it makes absolute sense to nominate the country most likely to finish in the highest position but it just seems to reiterate exactly where we stand in this union 😕

I dunno if the same criteria applied to qualifying for the Olympic curling I doubt they'd use the English team!

10 hours ago, Alibi said:

The relevant Scottish football authorities should have absolutely nothing to do with this for the same reasons as for the men's game.  I would hope that our players would tell them to get stuffed if they were asked, in effect, to play for England.

Kim Little played for them in 2012.

I seem to recall that Jen Beattie was keen on it too.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

"The Scottish FA said they will not actively support or promote the side but will not prevent players being involved, while their Welsh counterparts said they will not align themselves politically with the team."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48791484

How much pressure will it take for them to change their mind? This could be deeply damaging for Scottish football in the long run.

Different angle....in these times of actively enforced/encouraged equality for male/female sportspersons..... does that mean the women are getting a raw deal cos they’re being lumped in with the English (welsh, norn Irish) as team gb whereas the men (thankfully) aren’t? I think yes indeed! 

Edited by ger intae them

For me, football shouldn't be at the Olympics at all. Events at the Olympics should be the pinnacle of the sport.

Although given the recent increased profile of women's football at the moment from the world cup, I'm sure there will be plenty of political pressure with some token appointments from Scotland to make up Team GB. 

3 hours ago, McDange said:

For me, football shouldn't be at the Olympics at all. Events at the Olympics should be the pinnacle of the sport.

Although given the recent increased profile of women's football at the moment from the world cup, I'm sure there will be plenty of political pressure with some token appointments from Scotland to make up Team GB. 

Olympic football was always seen as the pinnacle of the women's international game. The World Cup's increased prominence might change that going forward though.

And football has been in the Olympics since 1908, a lot longer than the World Cup has been around.

In terms of the Scots being "tokens" certainly a player like Erin Cuthbert has the potential to be one of the best in Europe,  I'm sure Phil Neville (assuming he's in charge) can't wait for the opportunity to select her.