Team GB Football - Again - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team GB Football - Again

On 8/10/2017 at 4:14 PM, Mazziessc said:

I'm not entirely sure what the fuss is about, sure I get why some are so against it but ffs its for the olympics, not the world cup. Imo I dont see the harm in a team GB team competing. 

F*ck team GB. F*ck the union. F*ck the union Jack. 

F*ck all team GB, not just the football. F*ck the team GB synchronised swimming team, F*ck the one where you prance about on horses. Dressage, that's it. F*ck team GB dressage team. 

That all.

Edited by iainmac1

2 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

F*ck all team GB, not just the football. F*ck the team GB synchronised swimming team, F*ck the one where you prance about on horses. Dressage, that's it. F*ck team GB dressage team. 

That all.

There's a lot of fvcking going on there Iain. :ok:

On 8/12/2017 at 0:48 PM, iainmac1 said:

That all.

Can't argue with that. I tend to support anyone who is playing against GB at anything.  Time to become a proper nation and do nation things properly.

• 7 months later...
52 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

why is this Campbell just allowed free reign to state " there's a lot of support from the home nations"??

i mean it's just not true..home counties maybe.

Her fellow Baroness ‘Mone’ probably told her. 

4 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

why is this Campbell just allowed free reign to state " there's a lot of support from the home nations"??

i mean it's just not true..home counties maybe.

Especially as the article also says the SFA are not interested at all.

There's also the arrogance of assuming that they will actually qualify.  

On 12/08/2017 at 12:48 PM, iainmac1 said:

That all.

This could be the opening scene of trainspotting 3 independence day. 

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Who actually gives a fuck about womens football.

Not many women going by their crowds.

It's more a matter of principle. If we do it for the women's game, then the FA will assume we're happy for the men's game too.

53 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

It's more a matter of principle. If we do it for the women's game, then the FA will assume we're happy for the men's game too.

Well for the record I'm still firmly against Team GB in all its forms

Edited by exile

• 2 weeks later...

Being in favour of a team GB should automatically disqualify you from selection for Scotland.  It might be possible to have joint nationality, but you can't have nested nationalities.  Britain isn't a nation, and if you believe it is, then it implies that Scotland isn't a nation, and nor is England, Wales and NI.

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Being in favour of a team GB should automatically disqualify you from selection for Scotland.  It might be possible to have joint nationality, but you can't have nested nationalities.  Britain isn't a nation, and if you believe it is, then it implies that Scotland isn't a nation, and nor is England, Wales and NI.

This. The SFA should really make a statement saying something along these lines.

25 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I disagree with you on this. I don'y blame people for wanting to compete at the Olympics and sadly they like all other sports have no other option but to represent Team GB. Big question is do people like Kim Little believe it is a low risk (or even know it is a risk) to the Scotland team or do they just not care.

1 hour ago, jailender said:

So does that mean that a proportion of our Commonwealth Games team should not have been selected because they have also represented GB at the Olympics?

There's a difference in the fact that, for most sports, the Olympics is the pinnacle and to compete at the pinnacle they have to represent GB. For football, it isn't - the World Cup is and to compete at they pinnacle they have to represent Scotland.

I'm not even sure why football is at the Olympics, as it should be the pinnacle for each sport played.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Being in favour of a team GB should automatically disqualify you from selection for Scotland. 

I agree with that.

To me, it implies that person is prioritising their own gain (or life experience) ahead of the Scottish national teams.

There is a risk to the existence of the Scottish national teams, but Kim Little is willing to gamble on that.

11 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

There's a difference in the fact that, for most sports, the Olympics is the pinnacle and to compete at the pinnacle they have to represent GB. For football, it isn't - the World Cup is and to compete at they pinnacle they have to represent Scotland.

I'm not even sure why football is at the Olympics, as it should be the pinnacle for each sport played.

For Women's football it is on a par with the World Cup though so I do have some sympathy for them if they qualify and can't take part.

That said, they know the rules before they start and it's the price they pay for being able to play for Scotland, Egland, Wales or NI.  

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

I mentioned on the previous page and aaid did above the Olympics has been the pinnacle for women's football.

I read the interview with Kim Little and she obviously had a good time at London 2012, but there's still no mention of how Team GB can qualify for an Olympics that they're not hosting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43706225

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I mentioned on the previous page and aaid did above the Olympics has been the pinnacle for women's football.

I read the interview with Kim Little and she obviously had a good time at London 2012, but there's still no mention of how Team GB can qualify for an Olympics that they're not hosting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43706225

Team GB would qualify if England finish as one of the best three European teams at the 2019 World Cup - out of the eight that qualify. They were first in 2015 and fourth in 2011.

12 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Team GB would qualify if England finish as one of the best three European teams at the 2019 World Cup - out of the eight that qualify. They were first in 2015 and fourth in 2011.

And if eg. Scotland were also to qualify that gives TeamGB more opportunity to get to the Olympics, I can see other countries having a problem with that.

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

And if eg. Scotland were also to qualify that gives TeamGB more opportunity to get to the Olympics, I can see other countries having a problem with that.

Aye. It may only be England who can qualify as the English FA is the only FA affiliated to the BOA though. It may just come down to an agreement between the four FAs, although I can't see the SFA budging on this.