Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 65 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

On 5/4/2018 at 8:37 AM, ProudScot said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2592617/alex-mcleish-lewis-morgan-scotland-squad-chances-peru-mexico/amp/

In terms of naming a Scottish squad with a lot of Celtic players - looks like Lewis Morgan could be in the mix too 

Interesting thing in that article was that they are sending out letters to players to see if they can be arsed going.

"Almost! Lovely hit from Scott McTominay, who pounces on a loose touch maybe 25 yards from goal, swivels and shoots in one movement and it's as clean as you like but a yard wide." 

On 5/9/2018 at 8:32 PM, er yir macaroon said:

Cochrane looking different class tonight.  At 17 a country mile the best player on the pitch. Him and Gilmour is some prospect.

Have to admit Cochrane is puzzling me somewhat.  Not doubting his abilities at all, a lot of folk getting excited by him I just don't think I can compare his style to anything I've ever seen before. His running style, touch etc. Might be cause he is yet to fill out and his quite 2 footed, is he not? 

Gilmour on the other hand, you can tell exactly what he could be. Quite hopeful for gilmour more than I have been for others in the past. Seems to have a bit more X factor.Whispering it though.

22 minutes ago, JECK said:

Have to admit Cochrane is puzzling me somewhat.  Not doubting his abilities at all, a lot of folk getting excited by him I just don't think I can compare his style to anything I've ever seen before. His running style, touch etc. Might be cause he is yet to fill out and his quite 2 footed, is he not? 

Gilmour on the other hand, you can tell exactly what he could be. Quite hopeful for gilmour more than I have been for others in the past. Seems to have a bit more X factor.Whispering it though.

He has been in and out of the team since he made his debut in September but playing alongside Naismith has obviously done him the world of good. Great to see a young lad play with such confidence, play with his head up and and equally comfortable with both feet.

He has been brushed off the ball fairly easily in previous games preferring to move the ball on quickly and find pockets of space but Wednesday was the first time he held his own in a midfield battle, holding onto possession and winning tackles and driving the team forward. He will be a great player when he fills out a bit.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Purely in terms of resemblance to the style of top players I’d say Cochrane is similar to Gerrard in the way he shifts the ball between feet and drives forward, and Gilmour to Modric in the way he drops his shoulder and changes direction. Cue people claiming I’m saying they’re as good as those two... I’m not.  If they work hard though, they can do well, and as of yet, no one can say how far they can go.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Purely in terms of resemblance to the style of top players I’d say Cochrane is similar to Gerrard in the way he shifts the ball between feet and drives forward, and Gilmour to Modric in the way he drops his shoulder and changes direction. Cue people claiming I’m saying they’re as good as those two... I’m not.  If they work hard though, they can do well, and as of yet, no one can say how far they can go.

Imo Cochrane is similar to Darren Fletcher. He intercepts the ball and tackles well. He also can pass fairly well and has a good engine and can read the game well. Personally I don't think he will play at a top club as I feel he lacks the power and pace but he may well be snapped up by a lower end EPL club in a couple of years and play a similar role as James McArthur at crystal palace. I don't feel too excited by him as a prospect as I feel we tend to already have or produce players similar to him and they don't always make the difference whereas we could do with a flair player or a top level goalscorer in order to really boost our chances of qualification. Saying that the lad is doing extremely well for a 17 year old and will definitely be a squad member in the future if he carries on his progression. 

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Imo Cochrane is similar to Darren Fletcher. He intercepts the ball and tackles well. He also can pass fairly well and has a good engine and can read the game well. Personally I don't think he will play at a top club as I feel he lacks the power and pace but he may well be snapped up by a lower end EPL club in a couple of years and play a similar role as James McArthur at crystal palace. I don't feel too excited by him as a prospect as I feel we tend to already have or produce players similar to him and they don't always make the difference whereas we could do with a flair player or a top level goalscorer in order to really boost our chances of qualification. Saying that the lad is doing extremely well for a 17 year old and will definitely be a squad member in the future if he carries on his progression. 

I think you’re not seeing how his first touch and timing takes him away from opponents. I don’t remember seeing a comparable Scottish player for years. I guess James McCarthy is similar. Cochrane is far more gifted than MacArthur and the strength will come - he’s only just turned 17 and he’ll still be filling out 5 years from now.

So Ryan Gauld played for Aves tonight in their last league game of the season. Clearly wasn’t deemed as a player the manager wanted on the pitch in the important games. 

Ended up getting an assist and from reports at the game, was their best player. 

As I’ve mentioned before, it’s seems he just wasn’t the correct fit for this team or manager. The talent, ability and willingness is definitely there. 

I can see him staying in Portugal next season playing for a side that likes to play football on the deck and values a creative player like Gauld. 

Predicting he’ll be in the Scotland squad next season if he finds the correct team. 

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Unfortunately we don’t have an international class midfielder since brown retired.  Cochran is a prospect that’s all..  McGinn, cainry, tomminey, McDonald, all not good enough so far in my opinion.

McGinn, Cairney & McTominay are all good options for us.

McDonald, at 30, should be left out of squads. 

May aswell take some young to South America and take Cochrane, even Gauld who’s only 23.

23 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McGinn, Cairney & McTominay are all good options for us.

McDonald, at 30, should be left out of squads. 

May aswell take some young to South America and take Cochrane, even Gauld who’s only 23.

Not sure any of them are good enough to compete at the top end of the premiership where you really need to be as our top imidfielders.

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Unfortunately we don’t have an international class midfielder since brown retired.  Cochran is a prospect that’s all..  McGinn, cainry, tomminey, McDonald, all not good enough so far in my opinion.

Guess it depends on your view of 'international class'. If you're talking about the level of players at Real Madrid then you are right but Scotland have now got a list of players that would comfortably play the English Premier League and other top leagues.

Cairney, McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn, McTominay, Fraser, McArthur, phillips, Paterson and Ritchie come to mind straight away.

As I say, not the world's greatest but I am happy with a midfield comprising if those. The others like Cochrane and Gilmour are the ones bubbling under that all teams need.

15 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Guess it depends on your view of 'international class'. If you're talking about the level of players at Real Madrid then you are right but Scotland have now got a list of players that would comfortably play the English Premier League and other top leagues.

Cairney, McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn, McTominay, Fraser, McArthur, phillips, Paterson and Ritchie come to mind straight away.

As I say, not the world's greatest but I am happy with a midfield comprising if those. The others like Cochrane and Gilmour are the ones bubbling under that all teams need.

I would argue that none of our midfield are at the level of Collins, mcallister, lambert....  it’s that kind of level I’m talking about.  In the past brown, fletcher and Ferguson have been at that level.

34 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would argue that none of our midfield are at the level of Collins, mcallister, lambert....  it’s that kind of level I’m talking about.  In the past brown, fletcher and Ferguson have been at that level.

In my opinion though they'd be good enough to get us to qualify if the rest if the team matches up in all areas. For Scotland in the last couple of decades since we last qualified it is because we have not been strong enough in all departments at the same time. We have had spells where we have been strong in midfield but weak in defence. Or weak in the goalkeeping department but stronger in defence. In recent times it is in the strikers department we have been weak. Going into this next campaign we are well-equipped with top goalkeepers, the defence looks like an area we may have strengthened recently, the midfield is adequate enough but the worry lies upfront. Unless Griffiths is fully match fit and playing regularly for Celtic then we have big problems and it could cost us qualification.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

In my opinion though they'd be good enough to get us to qualify if the rest if the team matches up in all areas. For Scotland in the last couple of decades since we last qualified it is because we have not been strong enough in all departments at the same time. We have had spells where we have been strong in midfield but weak in defence. Or weak in the goalkeeping department but stronger in defence. In recent times it is in the strikers department we have been weak. Going into this next campaign we are well-equipped with top goalkeepers, the defence looks like an area we may have strengthened recently, the midfield is adequate enough but the worry lies upfront. Unless Griffiths is fully match fit and playing regularly for Celtic then we have big problems and it could cost us qualification.

Defence, other than left-back, is just as weak as our forward options. Both areas aren't strong enough for us to qualify for a World Cup. Euros depend on the draw. 

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Defence, other than left-back, is just as weak as our forward options. Both areas aren't strong enough for us to qualify for a World Cup. Euros depend on the draw. 

Time will tell. Our emerging centre half’s have the attributes to be better than recent generations (e.g. pace, height and reasonably comfortable on the ball) but they do lack experience.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Time will tell. Our emerging centre half’s have the attributes to be better than recent generations (e.g. pace, height and reasonably comfortable on the ball) but they do lack experience.

There is potential but would you be confident with any of them against a good international side? 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Our CBS are decent prospects but not exactly world beaters. It's not like they are coming through at top clubs in the EPL or even any teams in the EPL. They will perhaps be good enough for international football but I am not holding my breath. Lindsay is going to be playing league 1 next season. McKenna looks good in the spl but the level of the spl is poor these days. Same with john souttar. Hendry has had a poor start at Celtic but has been played out of position I think. Harry has looked decent for Ross county, hopefully he can get game time at Stoke with them being in the championship next season. It's good we have a few CBS coming through but whether any of them make the step up is another question. Our central midfield options are already international class imo, guys like armstrong, McGregor and mctominay, cairney and even Darren Fletcher are all good enough at top level.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I know what you are saying but a number are still young.  The general level is good and there is strength in depth. As yiu say, what we don't have is a Man Utd/Liverpool/Monaco/Dortmund level player in midfield (If we take McTominay out for a minute to consider he's developing for the sake of argument) but that's not the end of the world. This team is stronger throughout than it has been for a few years.