Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 61 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am not bashing McLeish either but questions have to be asked if players in hot form in a position we are weak in is being overlooked. What are the scouts etc doing?

McLeish doesn't believe scouts.. he has to get free tickets to games to see everyone. ;o

15 hours ago, andyD said:

Well, he wasn't really on my radar at the time the last squad was named, so I'm not going to bash McLeish for that.

His forms been good tho and if the next squad has just Paterson called up for the right back spot, then aye, something is amiss.

He's been outstanding the majority of the season.

Radio Scotland etc were touting him for the last squad, so it wasn't just me!

22 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree he should definitely be looked at given the right-back problems we have. The only reason I see he is not being called up is the club he plays for.

I have no problem with us having at look at him, but it's not the club he plays for that's working against him, so much as the fact that he couldn't hold down his place in an English 4th tier team last season. 

22 minutes ago, davew said:

I have no problem with us having at look at him, but it's not the club he plays for that's working against him, so much as the fact that he couldn't hold down his place in an English 4th tier team last season. 

Never heard of players changing clubs and their form improving?

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Never heard of players changing clubs and their form improving?

Obviously his form has improved or he wouldn't be getting player of the month awards, I'm just saying it normally takes a 25 year old a bit more than a few months of good form to force his way into the Scotland squad.

On 13/04/2018 at 10:04 AM, davew said:

How, in any way, is that relevant? David Healey of Northern Ireland couldn't cement a place in a top flight side yet is their record scorer and scored more international goals than any Scot did for Scotland to boot.

On 13/04/2018 at 10:04 AM, davew said:

Or it could be he's happier at Killie, so is playing better than at Luton

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

How, in any way, is that relevant? David Healey of Northern Ireland couldn't cement a place in a top flight side yet is their record scorer and scored more international goals than any Scot did for Scotland to boot.

Healy was a good top half Championship player. Not a good example. If Healy couldn't get a game in the 4th tier of English football he wouldn't have been near the Northern Ireland squad. 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Healy was a good top half Championship player. Not a good example. If Healy couldn't get a game in the 4th tier of English football he wouldn't have been near the Northern Ireland squad. 

My point is that just because a player does not make it at the very top level of club football which Healy never really did it does not mean you discard them from international football. As we know the opposite can happen too. We have had many players play at the biggest clubs in the EPL who have been flops for Scotland and had players never to crack the EPL who have done well for is - better than some EPL stars.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My point is that just because a player does not make it at the very top level of club football which Healy never really did it does not mean you discard them from international football. As we know the opposite can happen too. We have had many players play at the biggest clubs in the EPL who have been flops for Scotland and had players never to crack the EPL who have done well for is - better than some EPL stars.

I fully aware players don't need to be at the top level but this boy wasn't cutting at the 4th level.