Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 60 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

Also saw Chris Martin come off the bench for Reading yesterday. Didn't look all that interested, which given that Reading are in a relegation battle is poor. He's probably the third striker choice in my view at Reading, with everyone fit, purely based on the effort (or lack of) that he's been putting in for us.

14 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Also saw Chris Martin come off the bench for Reading yesterday. Didn't look all that interested, which given that Reading are in a relegation battle is poor. He's probably the third striker choice in my view at Reading, with everyone fit, purely based on the effort (or lack of) that he's been putting in for us.

You need to join the other disaffected Reading fans and get down to Maidenhead. 

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Agreed the Millwall defence appears to be something special, hadn't read the stats for yesterday's game but no saves is quite common for a goalie. Can't find season keeper stats any were.

You can find them on whoscored under player statistics -> detailed -> category saves

Apparently Archer has made 13 saves from shots within the 6 yard box this season which is the 2nd best in the league. So, it seems he has good reactions.

Total saves

#3 Angus Gunn 122

#6 Jordan Archer 112

#9 Alan McGregor 104

3 minutes ago, davew said:

Seems Johnny Russell has made a good start in the MLS. Scored his second goal last night and picked up MOTM.

Cracking goal. One of defenders was Ashley Cole and Zlatan also playing for LA Galaxy

8 hours ago, davew said:

Seems Johnny Russell has made a good start in the MLS. Scored his second goal last night and picked up MOTM.

I think the days of thinking the MLS Is below the level of the Scottish Premiership are long gone.

Danny Wilson & Johnny Russell should have as much chance of a call up as any player performing well in Scotland IMO

10 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think the days of thinking the MLS Is below the level of the Scottish Premiership are long gone.

Danny Wilson & Johnny Russell should have as much chance of a call up as any player performing well in Scotland IMO

It's hard to tell how high the standard is, but I reckon it's a higher standard than the Championship.

It seems Danny Wilson hasn't made much of an impact though.

Sam Nicholson has scored a goal already, but also not a big impact so far.

2 hours ago, davew said:

It's hard to tell how high the standard is, but I reckon it's a higher standard than the Championship.

It seems Danny Wilson hasn't made much of an impact though.

Sam Nicholson has scored a goal already, but also not a big impact so far.

I’d say that Russell has taken a step back in playing standard. In my opinion the English second tier is a higher level. MLS teams have one or two “stars” who I’m not sure if games are like glorified training sessions to them. But the rest of the team is filled with dross. 

Edited by Ormond

In terms of 'best' - I imagine it would incorporate TV rights, audience and amount of games.  Not sure if MLS has a global audience however, same as China's league, Scotland games show here in the US but there are not many, and there are more English Championship games available live. 

Andrew Robertson starts for Liverpool, once again, against Man City in the Champions League. Could be the first time in a while that we would have had a player in the Champions League semi-finals, if Liverpool get through that tie.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

Andrew Robertson starts for Liverpool, once again, against Man City in the Champions League. Could be the first time in a while that we would have had a player in the Champions League semi-finals, if Liverpool get through that tie.

Made some good blocks but also chanced his luck a couple of times. Not his best 45 minutes by a long way but Liverpool as a whole have not been at the races this evening.

2 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Since Fletcher id imagine. Queen's Park to champions league semi finals. Don't think the majority of the side played great tbh, especially first half. Done the job and got out of there.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

Since Fletcher id imagine.

Yeah, most recently in 2011 as a substitute. Seems Robertson is only the third Scot since the year 2000 to reach the Champions League semis - Darren Fletcher with Man Utd (2007-09, 11) and Dominic Matteo with Leeds (2001) being the others.

8 hours ago, Windae cleaner said:

Im sure that I read somewhere that the MLS was in the top 10 best leagues in the world and that the SPL was 20th I think, mind you that could be from a while ago

Aye, but who votes for that? The readers of Shoot? ;)

I watch a fair bit of MLS as I bet a fair bit on football and plenty of the games are entertaining and the standard is slowly rising but the defending is hopeless so you get all these high scoring games.

Bradley Wright Phillips scores 20 a season for New York red Bulls.

Russell was a decent player at Derby but wouldn't go beyond that.

It's the same with players moving to China. Oscar moved there and Brazil haven't called him up in over a year.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Just saying......

Not something we can really ignore, given that it's such a problem position right now..
Haven't seen a massive amount of Killie lately, but their form is undenyable.

O'Donnell looks big, 2 decent feet, reasonably quick for a big guy and not afraid to run at people. Might try and take in a few games between now and the end of the season. Would be great if he emerged as a real contender for the international spot.

17 hours ago, andyD said:

Not something we can really ignore, given that it's such a problem position right now..
Haven't seen a massive amount of Killie lately, but their form is undenyable.

O'Donnell looks big, 2 decent feet, reasonably quick for a big guy and not afraid to run at people. Might try and take in a few games between now and the end of the season. Would be great if he emerged as a real contender for the international spot.

I agree he should definitely be looked at given the right-back problems we have. The only reason I see he is not being called up is the club he plays for.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree he should definitely be looked at given the right-back problems we have. The only reason I see he is not being called up is the club he plays for.

Well, he wasn't really on my radar at the time the last squad was named, so I'm not going to bash McLeish for that.

His forms been good tho and if the next squad has just Paterson called up for the right back spot, then aye, something is amiss.

4 minutes ago, andyD said:

Well, he wasn't really on my radar at the time the last squad was named, so I'm not going to bash McLeish for that.

His forms been good tho and if the next squad has just Paterson called up for the right back spot, then aye, something is amiss.

I am not bashing McLeish either but questions have to be asked if players in hot form in a position we are weak in is being overlooked. What are the scouts etc doing?