Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 43 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tierney on bench?

No. He would be part of the back 3

3 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Yeah I'd agree. Although, in this game Fraser moved further forward after Bournemouth went behind again. Seems more than capable playing there though.

That's what I'd like to see. I don't want a formation that is essentially a back 5. Robertson and Fraser would take turns at foraying forward. I think we'd be best with a 3-5-1-1 style. Which is very adaptable. 

On 10/02/2018 at 2:22 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Forrest ended up with a hat-trick and Oli McBurnie scored for Barnsley earlier today in their 1-1 draw.

Forrest took all his goals well yesterday. A frustrating player though - I don't think I've ever seen him play well for the national team. Hopefully he's turned a corner and will start to deliver for Scotland too.

Good to see McBurnie scoring but from what I've seen of him I suspect the Championship is about his level. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Play a back three with of Robertson and Paterson as wing backs with Fraser and someone else on the wings with 1 up top

Yeah, I'd play a 3-4-3 with Fraser as one of the wingers. Playing him at wing-back seems a bit of waste of his attacking talents.

Centre-forward is the position that really concerns me at the moment. If anything happens to Griffiths we're in deep shit.

16 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Forrest took all his goals well yesterday. A frustrating player though - I don't think I've ever seen him play well for the national team. Hopefully he's turned a corner and will start to deliver for Scotland too.

Good to see McBurnie scoring but from what I've seen of him I suspect the Championship is about his level. 

Yeah, I'd play a 3-4-3 with Fraser as one of the wingers. Playing him at wing-back seems a bit of waste of his attacking talents.

Centre-forward is the position that really concerns me at the moment. If anything happens to Griffiths we're in deep shit.

Mcburnie will be championship level imo. At least Griffith's is only 27, so we have him for a good few years yet, Sam Gallagher will most likely play for us as he ain't going to get a game for England although he looks championship level as well.

19 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Mcburnie will be championship level imo. At least Griffith's is only 27, so we have him for a good few years yet, Sam Gallagher will most likely play for us as he ain't going to get a game for England although he looks championship level as well.

McBurnie was EPL u23 league player of the year last season. Not many players his age and his position get EPL starts and he's had a few. I'm optimistic he could do it for us. Hopefully he gets a run of games and goals with Barnsley. 

Forrest playing quite well for Celtic in a team that constantly dominate, as soon as he puts a Scotland top on he's back to giving the ball away and falling over, unable to go past anyone. Really wouldn't have him near the team

14 hours ago, Ormond said:

If I had a penny for each time I read someone posting that Mulgrew deserves to be playing for a higher level club I could retire early. He plays at the level he does because that is his level. 

He was pretty good in the championship last season.

I just think he's on a big contract at Blackburn. One of the best players so they don't want to lose him and obviously not many clubs want to match his wages given his age etc. 

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's too early to say with McBurnie. After 1 start he has 1 goal and got MOTM.

I agree Sam Gallagher probably is going to be a Championship level striker

Chris Martin came off the bench to get his first goal for Reading at the weekend.

16 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

McBurnie was EPL u23 league player of the year last season. Not many players his age and his position get EPL starts and he's had a few. I'm optimistic he could do it for us. Hopefully he gets a run of games and goals with Barnsley. 

It's maybe a little unfair of me to write mcburnie off, hes only 21 so hopefully he becomes a top striker, same with Sam Gallagher, even if they go on to be good championship strikers they will probably get in our squads.

Guest MorayCupMan
47 minutes ago, TheBiggun said:

Burke getting 45 mins vs Chelsea... Did a quick 1-2 and got a good ball into the box. That boy looks absolutely rapid

Aye good to see him getting a little game time. He really needs to get run of games under his belt to get in full flow. I really think he will be some player if that happens.

Edited by MorayCupMan

58 minutes ago, TheBiggun said:

Burke getting 45 mins vs Chelsea... Did a quick 1-2 and got a good ball into the box. That boy looks absolutely rapid

Sadly, that's pretty much all he did. Was a total waste of a shirt for the rest of the game and getting pelters from Baggies fans on social media. Turns out he may not be the messiah after all. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's maybe a little unfair of me to write mcburnie off, hes only 21 so hopefully he becomes a top striker, same with Sam Gallagher, even if they go on to be good championship strikers they will probably get in our squads.

Sometimes it's only a championship striker you need.  N. Ireland had Healy banging in the goals for them and latterly big Kyle. We get someone like Stevie Archibald playing for Barcalona or Charlie Nicholas playing for Arsenal yet neither had the same strike rate at international level

Guest MorayCupMan
53 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Sadly, that's pretty much all he did. Was a total waste of a shirt for the rest of the game and getting pelters from Baggies fans on social media. Turns out he may not be the messiah after all. 

That's a little harsh as he has not had a real good run of games in a long time. 

14 hours ago, MorayCupMan said:

That's a little harsh as he has not had a real good run of games in a long time. 

And TBF Chelsea dominated the second half. Looking at the ratings, he got a 6, which is better than most of the WBA players, especially considering he was only on for the second half.

9 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

And TBF Chelsea dominated the second half. Looking at the ratings, he got a 6, which is better than most of the WBA players, especially considering he was only on for the second half.

There's alot of expectation on Burke because west Bromwich paid 15m for him. He could do with playing at a top end championship club for a couple of years instead of a club destined for relegation. Then at 22 move up to the premier league. The guys maybe not going to be the star we hoped for but I still believe he can be a decent player for a lower end epl team.

Burke seems to have learned nothing from a year or so ago when the RB Leipzig manager criticised him for lacking football intelligence. He doesn't move well off the ball, and looks lost at times. He doesn't press the defenders either to make up for it, so ends up looking a bit lazy.

I was a bit disheartened after watching him 

On 11/02/2018 at 8:32 PM, er yir macaroon said:

He has, and he failed to score a single goal. To put it in perspective, Tammy Abraham, his teammate, is the same age and has half a dozen goals to his name this season. 

I hope you're right, by the way, but from what I've seen of him I'm not sure he'll make it.

15 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Sometimes it's only a championship striker you need.  N. Ireland had Healy banging in the goals for them and latterly big Kyle. We get someone like Stevie Archibald playing for Barcalona or Charlie Nicholas playing for Arsenal yet neither had the same strike rate at international level

They tend to be the exception though. Faddy reminded me of David Healy a bit in that he didn't score regularly at club level but banged them in in international football. 

Generally speaking, though, a Championship standard forward backed up by a Championship standard defence won't get you very far in international football. 

59 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Generally speaking, though, a Championship standard forward backed up by a Championship standard defence won't get you very far in international football. 

Unless you have Michael O’ Neill as boss. Oh, wait a minute... :(

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Burke seems to have learned nothing from a year or so ago when the RB Leipzig manager criticised him for lacking football intelligence. He doesn't move well off the ball, and looks lost at times. He doesn't press the defenders either to make up for it, so ends up looking a bit lazy.

I was a bit disheartened after watching him 

For me the most disappointing part was that he looked like he was actively avoiding being passed to... I'm assuming his confidence is very low.

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

He has, and he failed to score a single goal. To put it in perspective, Tammy Abraham, his teammate, is the same age and has half a dozen goals to his name this season. 

I hope you're right, by the way, but from what I've seen of him I'm not sure he'll make it.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/402106

This is encouraging.