Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 41 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Robertson in the starting line-up for Liverpool today. Clearly now a first choice for key matches.

Would like to think so. Seemed to betting more of the ball in his last match as well. Not convinced yet. Can see Klopp putting Moreno back in when he is fully fit (possibly is now having played recently in the cup) and/or Robertson has a mediocre game today. Time will tell, as always.

25 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Scott McTominey getting big reviews for the game yesterday, and preferred over pogba.

Any word if he has officially turned us down?

Given the state of our national team, i take it nobody has spoke to him

Is he not the boy that's waiting for England though?

17 hours ago, gkm_vancouver said:

And another two asists this weekend against Burton. He's back on form

Snodgrass is on fire at the moment. Villa have one 6 games in a row and Snodgrass got a goal or an assist in every game.

Here's his 90th minute winner from last week

On 03/02/2018 at 6:51 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Callum Paterson looks like he should be our first choice right back.

He has 5 goals and 4 assists from just 9 starts. But he's not playing right-back. He's playing right midfield in a 3-4-3.

He can't defend, he can't pass the ball, and he can't dribble, but he wins everything in the air, he's very hard working, and provides a massive goal threat.

Switching to 3-4-3 would allow us to fit both Tierney and Robertson into the team, and it would suit Paterson as well.

2 hours ago, davew said:

He has 5 goals and 4 assists from just 9 starts. But he's not playing right-back. He's playing right midfield in a 3-4-3.

He can't defend, he can't pass the ball, and he can't dribble, but he wins everything in the air, he's very hard working, and provides a massive goal threat.

Switching to 3-4-3 would allow us to fit both Tierney and Robertson into the team, and it would suit Paterson as well.

Not a bad idea at all.  :ok:  If Paterson gets injured though, what then?

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Accommodating Paterson right mid is a terrible shout when we have Ryan Fraser available

Exactly. We would be switching to a back 3 to utilise the strengths of our 2 best players (Roberston and Tierney), not Paterson, who we aren't even sure is good enough yet. 

Fraser is doing well in a better league, as is Forrest (Champions league). Paterson should be the contingency plan. Not plan A.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Exactly. We would be switching to a back 3 to utilise the strengths of our 2 best players (Roberston and Tierney), not Paterson, who we aren't even sure is good enough yet. 

Fraser is doing well in a better league, as is Forrest (Champions league). Paterson should be the contingency plan. Not plan A.

I would play three centre backs with Tierney as one of them. Then that would allow us to play Paterson and Robertson as wing backs with Fraser and Forrest on the wings.

11 hours ago, davew said:

If you are fitting both Tierney and Robertson does it matter if you play 4-4-2 or 3-4-4? I think the biggest question is "who is our best right back?" Maybe 3-4-3 solves that question more than Tierney/Robertson. But then, as noted does that mean we lose a quality right winger?

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I would play three centre backs with Tierney as one of them. Then that would allow us to play Paterson and Robertson as wing backs with Fraser and Forrest on the wings.

I guess you mean 3-4-3 with Fraser, Griffiths and Forrest as our front 3. Yes, Paterson could go on the right of a 4 but do we really need him in there? We have an abundance of midfield talent, why is it so important to shoe horn him in? Having a back 3 means we don't really need to play him at all. 

Edited by Tartan blood

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I guess you mean 3-4-3 with Fraser, Griffiths and Forrest as our front 3. Yes, Paterson could go on the right of a 4 but do we really need him in there? We have an abundance of midfield talent, why is it so important to shoe horn him in? Having a back 3 means we don't really need to play him at all. 

We have an abundance of midfield options. Who do we have that's an automatic pick? Or how many current midfielders can you name that have scored a goal for us?

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Fraser does sometimes play right-wing-back for Bournemouth, so maybe he would be a better option. Then again, Fraser has played practically every position on the park for Bournemouth.

Has Forrest ever played wing-back before?

3-4-3 does allow for something like this tho:

Fraser - Griffiths - Snodgrass
Robertson - McTominay - Armstrong - Paterson
Tierney - Mulgrew - Lindsay
Gordon

I'm looking forward as much as i think we should. Hard to ignore Snodgrass in this from, and I think we still need Mulgrew at teh back to help Lindsay find his feet at international level.

The 'reserve 11' isn't amazing, but we're at a point where a fair few players have passed their prime and we need to bring thru new blood.. and by it's nature this llineup would never play together anyway.

McKay - McBurnie - Christie
Douglas - McDonald - Cairney - Anya
Hanley - Berra - Bates
Archer

Anya's probably as good a back up to Paterson as we have. Lacks a little quality, but his workrate can't be questioned. Cadden's a possibility, but I'm not sure of his defensive abilities. Ralston has disappeared, and I haven't seen Liam Smith at St Mirren, who's the current u21s right back. Bates is still my shout for the centerback spot. McKenna's a possibility.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad system for us to adopt. 3 at the back should protect the inexperienced centerback that basically must be included. Our lone striker gets support from 2 other players being up around him and we have numbers in midfield when needed.

3-4-3 or similar could work.  I whisper it but El Tel Christmas Tree formation at Euro 96 would work for us.  At the moment I'd go for this.

------------Fraser - Griffiths - Forrest---------
-------- Brown(?)/MacAthur - Armstrong---

Robertson-----------------------------Paterson
-----------Tierney - Berra - Soutter----------
------------------------Gordon---------------------

Edited by Alan

1 hour ago, Alan said:

3-4-3 or similar could work.  I whisper it but El Tel Christmas Tree formation at Euro 96 would work for us.  At the moment I'd go for this.

------------Fraser - Griffiths - Forrest---------
-------- Brown(?)/MacAthur - Armstrong---

Robertson-----------------------------Paterson
-----------Tierney - Berra - Soutter----------
------------------------Gordon---------------------

Im not sure FIFA or UEFA would be ok with that team. Its positively Tory maths there.

On 07/02/2018 at 2:59 PM, andyD said:

3-4-3 does allow for something like this tho:

Fraser - Griffiths - Snodgrass
Robertson - McTominay - Armstrong - Paterson
Tierney - Mulgrew - Lindsay
Gordon

I'm looking forward as much as i think we should. Hard to ignore Snodgrass in this from, and I think we still need Mulgrew at teh back to help Lindsay find his feet at international level.

The 'reserve 11' isn't amazing, but we're at a point where a fair few players have passed their prime and we need to bring thru new blood.. and by it's nature this llineup would never play together anyway.

McKay - McBurnie - Christie
Douglas - McDonald - Cairney - Anya
Hanley - Berra - Bates
Archer

Anya's probably as good a back up to Paterson as we have. Lacks a little quality, but his workrate can't be questioned. Cadden's a possibility, but I'm not sure of his defensive abilities. Ralston has disappeared, and I haven't seen Liam Smith at St Mirren, who's the current u21s right back. Bates is still my shout for the centerback spot. McKenna's a possibility.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad system for us to adopt. 3 at the back should protect the inexperienced centerback that basically must be included. Our lone striker gets support from 2 other players being up around him and we have numbers in midfield when needed.

I will eat my hat if McTominay ever plays for us. Wanting to establish himself in the Man U team before deciding his international future, is code for 'England, come get me!'