Scottish Players in action 17/18 - Page 30 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players in action 17/18

jamboman

21 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Better not say that too loud, guys public enemy no.1 around here for some reason. I watched the game aswell, he played well, good crosses and beat his man a few times. Worth keeping in our squad imo as there will be injuries and drop outs.

Yes. That “some reason” being that barring one half of football away to Lithuania, he has been completely and utterly beyond useless. Of all the players that might be considered fringe players, he’s had more chances than anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Yes. That “some reason” being that barring one half of football away to Lithuania, he has been completely and utterly beyond useless. Of all the players that might be considered fringe players, he’s had more chances than anyone else. 

Welcome to the Scotland squad. There's lots of players who have been given games and have not performed, for example Forrest, Fletcher, McArthur, bannan just to name a few. As I have said the guy is a squad player who is worth keeping as we don't have many wingers playing at the highest level. He hasn't played well admittedly in his games bar the Lithuania game but then again many others have not performed well either. Perhaps half the squad should be made scapegoat rather than one player.

On 22/12/2017 at 1:17 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Bryan is a long way behind Tierney and Robertson not to mention Douglas, Kingsley and Shinnie. 

The left-back situation is getting ridiculous.

It's maybe not likely, but it's possible that Douglas, Forsyth, and Bryan could all get promoted to the EPL this season.

58 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I was at Sunderland v Barnsley yesterday.  First time I’ve watched Liam Lindsay and he was probably man of the match.  I know it was only Sunderland but they barely managed a shot at goal in 90 minutes and a lot of that was down to Lindsay. 

Good to hear! Was Donald Love any use at right back?

On 27/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, mccaughey85 said:

Bardsleys started the last couple of games for Burnley, surely the new manager would include him in the squad, guy has years of epl first team experience while we are not exactly abundant in quality right back players he would surely be a good option there.

After, Man City, Chelsea, and Man Utd, Burnley have the best defensive record in the league. Bardsley has only played half of their games, but still must take some credit for that. Do we have a better right back at the moment?

You have to wonder why Strachan refused to call him up.

16 hours ago, TheBiggun said:

Liam Cooper getting really positive reviews recently

We are no longer so desperate for centre backs that we need to call up an 'elgible' and an 'iffy' one at that. Just look at this list:

David Bates, Daniel Baur, Harry Souttar, John Souttar, Liam Lindsay, Danny Wilson, Ross McCrorie, Scott Hendry, Scott McKenna plus  Tierney at CB. We should perm any 2 or 3 from that lot and build a partnership for the future. 

Right back is where we need to find any Scot or quasi-Scot playing.

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We are no longer so desperate for centre backs that we need to call up an 'elgible' and an 'iffy' one at that. Just look at this list:

David Bates, Daniel Baur, Harry Souttar, John Souttar, Liam Lindsay, Danny Wilson, Ross McCrorie, Scott Hendry, Scott McKenna plus  Tierney at CB. We should perm any 2 or 3 from that lot and build a partnership for the future. 

I think your iffy list explains that we are indeed still desperate for centre backs.

37 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Bates looked good against Celtic, but isn't the first choice for Rangers. Hopefully he can make himself that.
Baur has played 5 games in his life, so i wouldn't put anything on his shoulders just yet.
H.Souttar barely kicked a ball at senior level. Being on Stoke's bench might be good or might highlight how bad they are.
J.Souttar 9 clean sheets so far, but just looking at the weekend he twice let a man get a run on him, who should have scored.
Lindsay seems to be doing alright in the Championship. Barsley aren't great, but he's one of the first names on the team sheet.
Wilson has looked better lately, but historically tends to struggle against good opposition.
McCrorie has been shunted to midfield the last 8 games. No bad thing we're short of young defensive mids too.
Hendry, I honestly have no clue who he is.
McKenna has potential, but is still prone to poor positioning and looks incredibly slow.

The only one who looks remotely ready to step into the national squad is Lindsay.
Bates, McKenna and Harry Souttar look like they might get there in time.
The rest are still very much in need of proving themselves.

49 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

I think your iffy list explains that we are indeed still desperate for centre backs.

we've got a year or less to find two new centre backs

but no new manager or friendlies lined up to do so

58 minutes ago, andyD said:

Bates looked good against Celtic, but isn't the first choice for Rangers. Hopefully he can make himself that.
Baur has played 5 games in his life, so i wouldn't put anything on his shoulders just yet.
H.Souttar barely kicked a ball at senior level. Being on Stoke's bench might be good or might highlight how bad they are.
J.Souttar 9 clean sheets so far, but just looking at the weekend he twice let a man get a run on him, who should have scored.
Lindsay seems to be doing alright in the Championship. Barsley aren't great, but he's one of the first names on the team sheet.
Wilson has looked better lately, but historically tends to struggle against good opposition.
McCrorie has been shunted to midfield the last 8 games. No bad thing we're short of young defensive mids too.
Hendry, I honestly have no clue who he is.
McKenna has potential, but is still prone to poor positioning and looks incredibly slow.

The only one who looks remotely ready to step into the national squad is Lindsay.
Bates, McKenna and Harry Souttar look like they might get there in time.
The rest are still very much in need of proving themselves.

I would argue Wilson is good against good opposition and less good when against weak opposition. Still fairly young, but should be about to enter his best years. A very gifted left sided footballer, not the quickest, but not significantly slower than most of our other options.

50 minutes ago, Bino's said:

we've got a year or less to find two new centre backs

but no new manager or friendlies lined up to do so

Don't think we need 2 this year.

It's a question of who to pair with Mulgrew really. Berra is still playing regularly, so that's fine if worst comes to the worst.
Hanley's back playing regularly, and the main reason he because a total bombscare was that he was sitting on Newcastle's bench and not playing.
So there are existing experienced options there.
Lindsay seems the obvious one to bring in. Good age, playing at a good level and doing ok.

Honestly, I like the look of David Bates. He's big and physical, but also calm and has a wee burst of pace when needed which someone like McKenna just doesn't have. He needs to become a regular starter, and is still learning for sure. But the core ability seems to be there. If he gets games he should just get better.

For the next squad I'd probably take: Mulgrew, Berra, Lindsey, Bates.

47 minutes ago, andyD said:

Don't think we need 2 this year.

It's a question of who to pair with Mulgrew really. Berra is still playing regularly, so that's fine if worst comes to the worst.
Hanley's back playing regularly, and the main reason he because a total bombscare was that he was sitting on Newcastle's bench and not playing.
So there are existing experienced options there.
Lindsay seems the obvious one to bring in. Good age, playing at a good level and doing ok.

Honestly, I like the look of David Bates. He's big and physical, but also calm and has a wee burst of pace when needed which someone like McKenna just doesn't have. He needs to become a regular starter, and is still learning for sure. But the core ability seems to be there. If he gets games he should just get better.

For the next squad I'd probably take: Mulgrew, Berra, Lindsey, Bates.

Mulgrew is the past 

We should be hoping for the lad at Hearts, Soutar I think, MCkenna, Bates and Lindsey to step up. Bates, Mckenna and Soutar have been doing very well for their clubs. 

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Mulgrew is the past 

We should be hoping for the lad at Hearts, Soutar I think, MCkenna, Bates and Lindsey to step up. Bates, Mckenna and Soutar have been doing very well for their clubs. 

Getting rid of people who are capable and know what they're doing just for the sake of it is a terrible idea. We can't just throw in a bunch of brand new players and expect it to work. Berti pretty much demonstrated that. We need to transition for a year or two, mixing older players and younger ones.

Mulgrew is the best of our existing centerbacks and is having a great season, not only up the top of the league, but he's bagged 9 goals and 3 assist from centerback in 22 games. Confidence is something we need to have in the squad and he should have buckets of it right now.

Of course we all hope that John Souttar, McKenna and the rest can step up. But while they might be doing ok for clubs, they have quite apparent flaws if you watch them play. Mulgrew is a significantly better player than John Souttar or McKenna right now, so it'd be silly to drop him for one of them, there's literally no reason to.

We need to transition, sticking to Mulgrew, Berra, Martin and Hanley as centerback callups will not end well for us in a couple of years time when they all (bar Hanley) retire. It makes sense to retain the two who have been playing recently and doing ok. That gives us a base to build form, the stability you need to bring kids thru while protecting their confidence.

So Mulgrew and Berra should probably be there, and then the next two slots for the most promising young players that we think could take the shirts in a year or twos time. Lindsay seems clearly the most ready to step up. Playing 90 minutes every week at a good level. After that there's not a clear standout.

John Souttar lacks awareness.
McKenna is embarrassingly slow.
Harry Souttar no one really knows due to his lack of game time.
McCrorie looks promising but has played relatively little at centerback.

Bates also hasn't played a massive amount, similar to McCrorie, but McCrorie seems to be becoming a defensive mid which is not unwelcome. I'll happily admit that I just like the look of Bates, he seems to have the attributes to make a good centerback, over the others.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Getting rid of people who are capable and know what they're doing just for the sake of it is a terrible idea. We can't just throw in a bunch of brand new players and expect it to work. Berti pretty much demonstrated that. We need to transition for a year or two, mixing older players and younger ones.

Mulgrew is the best of our existing centerbacks and is having a great season, not only up the top of the league, but he's bagged 9 goals and 3 assist from centerback in 22 games. Confidence is something we need to have in the squad and he should have buckets of it right now.

Of course we all hope that John Souttar, McKenna and the rest can step up. But while they might be doing ok for clubs, they have quite apparent flaws if you watch them play. Mulgrew is a significantly better player than John Souttar or McKenna right now, so it'd be silly to drop him for one of them, there's literally no reason to.

We need to transition, sticking to Mulgrew, Berra, Martin and Hanley as centerback callups will not end well for us in a couple of years time when they all (bar Hanley) retire. It makes sense to retain the two who have been playing recently and doing ok. That gives us a base to build form, the stability you need to bring kids thru while protecting their confidence.

So Mulgrew and Berra should probably be there, and then the next two slots for the most promising young players that we think could take the shirts in a year or twos time. Lindsay seems clearly the most ready to step up. Playing 90 minutes every week at a good level. After that there's not a clear standout.

Bates also hasn't played a massive amount, similar to McCrorie, but McCrorie seems to be becoming a defensive mid which is not unwelcome. I'll happily admit that I just like the look of Bates, he seems to have the attributes to make a good centerback, over the others.

Disagree with much of what you’ve said there. 

Hanley was a bombscare when playing regular. To be honest i’d have Souttar, McCrorie, Bates & McKenna in ahead of him & definitely Jack Hendry. 

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Wow, do you actually watch football? :lol:

mulgrew is part of the shite that’s seen us drop to another shite level and you want to keep him? He’s top of league 2 in England, a country where every league I see embarrassingly overrated, particularly the championship and below.

mulgrew also has a shocking personality, not the type I’d want the young lads to learn from. 

Mckenna is currently learning with a better centre back who’s been at international tournaments and will be at the next one. He’s also far from as slow as you make out. souttar is playing brilliant in a solid hearts defence. They both deserve to be there more than any of the so called experienced defenders you mention.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Wow, do you actually watch football? :lol:

mulgrew is part of the shite that’s seen us drop to another shite level and you want to keep him? He’s top of league 2 in England, a country where every league I see embarrassingly overrated, particularly the championship and below.

mulgrew also has a shocking personality, not the type I’d want the young lads to learn from. 

Mckenna is currently learning with a better centre back who’s been at international tournaments and will be at the next one. He’s also far from as slow as you make out. souttar is playing brilliant in a solid hearts defence. They both deserve to be there more than any of the so called experienced defenders you mention.

Is it just me or did our defence not improve rather a lot after Mulgrew  came into the centre of defence?

Maybe I was watching a different set of qualifiers  to you.

Or maybe you are just another Scotland fan who decides how well a player plays before kick off.

7 hours ago, andyD said:

I agree with pretty much most of what yer saying but i think McKenna and souttar could potentially make the grade in the future as they are relatively young by centre back standards. Lindsay is definitely the pick of the bunch imo and will go onto bigger things than Barnsley. I think we should stick with Berra and mulgrew as they showed to be quite solid in the second half of qualifying and bring in Lindsay and cooper. Hearts solid defensive record is built on Berra more than souttar and I feel we should of been playing Berra alot more over the years as he was one of the best defenders in the English championship. Anyways we have about 6 or 7 young centre backs coming through so it isn't all despair in that position now and hopefully one or two make the step up to international level.